collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:25:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 04:25:12 PM]

[Today at 04:22:39 PM]

[Today at 04:21:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 04:20:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 04:19:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 04:18:27 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 04:17:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ?% Villa (is that a thing, that % business?) Homophobia in Football  (Read 19425 times)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: ?% Villa (is that a thing, that % business?) Homophobia in Football
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2017, 07:18:51 PM »
Why would you want to pick on someone anyway if this is indeed true?  Sometimes human nature really is shit.

Again, has there been any clarification about exactly what went on?  It sounds like we are being led to believe that some Villa fans (again doesn't say where they were seated) spotted two women sitting next to each other 30 yards away, immediately assumed they were gay and began abusing them.  That was obviously enough to convince the BBC that was the case and they could drag the club's name through the mud again.   

Reading that BBC report it states that the lady in question was sitting with her wife and that she's from Birmingham.  If what is being reported is true, then it's quite possible that someone in the home section possibly knew her which could have prompted the unnecessary and disgusting outburst.  It only needs one moron to start something that other morons find funny and you then have a recipe for trouble.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »
Well I for one have left a Villa fans Facebook group as some of the comments on there are quite moronic and disgusting. Some of the shit they were supposed to of been singing was very personal and it's been met with smiley faces, laughing faces and thumbs up. I only joined that FB group so I could watch the odd live stream, but I'd rather not.

I know there are some right chav twats that follow football but I'd rather stay as far away from them as possible.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »
Why would you want to pick on someone anyway if this is indeed true?  Sometimes human nature really is shit.

Again, has there been any clarification about exactly what went on?  It sounds like we are being led to believe that some Villa fans (again doesn't say where they were seated) spotted two women sitting next to each other 30 yards away, immediately assumed they were gay and began abusing them.  That was obviously enough to convince the BBC that was the case and they could drag the club's name through the mud again.   
Reported by a steward who would be employed by us and probably a Villa fan so let's not blame the BBC.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
Whether true or not some of the reactions I see in social media shows how many ignorant, insensitive, worthless twats are around.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
Whether true or not some of the reactions I see in social media shows how many ignorant, insensitive, worthless twats are around.

Are you able to give any examples of what was being said from that page Ian?

Tom was worried that nobody has said what was going on, so would presumably be good to get the context.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2017, 08:05:56 PM »
Villa fan groups on Facebook are a disgrace. Trying not to be precious but I get  loads of racist abuse if I say anything negative about the manager or players.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »

Tom was worried that nobody has said what was going on, so would presumably be good to get the context.
I should have screen shot it really.

Basically someone posted a comment regarding the alleged report. There was a few throw away insensitive comments not too different to this thread but someone posted what was sung. Which was to do with her weight, appearance and sexuality which was received with laughing faces and some quite nasty remarks.

As I said earlier whether it happened or not there is enough shit on that Facebook page to leave a very nasty taste and to lose a little faith in humanity.

To be honest I should have left that group a while ago as whenever it pops up on my feed I have to cringe at many topics. It's just something I've been scrolling on past until now.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2017, 10:53:13 PM »

Reading that BBC report it states that the lady in question was sitting with her wife and that she's from Birmingham.  If what is being reported is true, then it's quite possible that someone in the home section possibly knew her which could have prompted the unnecessary and disgusting outburst. It only needs one moron to start something that other morons find funny and you then have a recipe for trouble.

That is a massive assumption. 

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »

I've heard our supporters singing a song on a similar theme[to the Lukaku one] about Kodjia more than once.

No takers on this?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2017, 11:05:06 PM »

What I am concerned about is the BBC and other media outlets dragging the name of our club and supporters through the mud.  It doesn't say in the article that there were only a few people involved, it doesn't say it was in a very small section of the ground and it doesn't say how it all came about.  The article and the woman's comments tar Villa fans in general and having been there on Tuesday night and not been involved in any sort of homophobic chanting, I think that is unjust. 

Again, having been there on Tuesday night, there was only a small pocket of Middlesbrough fans and they were quite a way from the North Stand.  How was she picked out and from where? 

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »
I'm guessing because some groups of travelling supporters are known to sing fairly dickish songs at Brighton that they don't sing elsewhere.

I watch Brighton at the AMEX very often.

Rarely does a rival group of fans not have some sort of "does your boyfriend know you're here" chant.

It is not as bad as it once was by any means, and recently they have been ejecting people from the stadium for these kind of chants, but it isn't uncommon.

I attended a Leeds vs Brighton match about 10 or so years ago and the Leeds fans delighted in singing “you’re just a town full of faggots” for what felt like the entire match.
We’re getting there in eradicating racism in football but eradicating homophobia is lagging far behind because it still goes on. It’s good to see the FA finally getting their act together though.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2017, 11:54:34 PM »

I've heard our supporters singing a song on a similar theme[to the Lukaku one] about Kodjia more than once.

No takers on this?

That's extremely poor as well.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »

No takers on this?

It's a fucking disgrace, is what it is. Particularly with the added misogyny of the 'and now she's dead' line.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2017, 12:05:56 AM »
Not saying it's right but Brighton fans have chants aimed at them every week and nothing is said or done. Now two women have complained about a few chants and it's in the press. It may have all been light hearted for all we know. It's a football match and banter occurs, people get called fat bastard or ginger bastard etc all the time.

As for the Lukaku chant, there's nothing wrong with it and isn't racist in the slightest. Just people trying to make something of nothing yet again and PC gone mad in this country.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:16:43 AM by QuintonVilla »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2017, 12:14:34 AM »

No takers on this?

Only heard it once and that was from a small group walking down the Trinity Road to a game last season.  Was surprised to see some females joining in given the content.  Haven't actually heard it sang inside the ground though. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal