collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ?% Villa (is that a thing, that % business?) Homophobia in Football  (Read 19465 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: ?% Villa (is that a thing, that % business?) Homophobia in Football
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2017, 12:15:20 AM »
Not saying it's right but Brighton fans have chants aimed at them every week and nothing is said or done. Now two women have complained about a few chants and it's in the press. It may have all been light hearted for all we know. It's a football match and banter occurs, people get called fat bastard or ginger bastard etc all the time.

As for the Lukaku chant, there's nothing wrong with it and isn't racist in the slightest. Just people trying to make something of nothing yet again and PC gone mad in this country.

Right a number of things here.

It's not right Brighton fans get abused.
The woman in question clearly didn't think whatever was said was lighthearted.
The Lukaku chant is clearly prejudice based on race.

So all in all I disagree with everything you've said.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2017, 12:16:39 AM »
Not saying it's right but Brighton fans have chants aimed at them every week and nothing is said or done. Now two women have complained about a few chants and it's in the press. It may have all been light hearted for all we know. It's a football match and banter occurs, people get called fat bastard or ginger bastard etc all the time.

As for the Lukaku chant, there's nothing wrong with it and isn't racist in the slightest. Just people trying to make something of nothing yet again and PC gone mad in this country.

I've got all the black people and the gay people on the line - can I put them through so that you can tell them how you've solved all prejudice, you fucking colossal abject fucking hero?

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2017, 12:17:27 AM »

I've heard our supporters singing a song on a similar theme[to the Lukaku one] about Kodjia more than once.

No takers on this?

That's extremely poor as well.

Only heard it once and that was from a small group walking down the Trinity Road to a game last season.  Was surprised to see some females joining in given the content.  Haven't actually heard it sang inside the ground though. 

I have, and I don't go as often as you.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2017, 12:20:54 AM »
Re: the Lukaku chant. It's just that, a football chant, Villa aren't by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. It's 'banter' and meant as a laugh, they're not saying they hate black people. Man Utd sang a song about Park Ji Sung 'eating dogs in his home country' for years and nothing was said, yet mention a black man having a big dick and racism is screamed from people who think they should be offended by it.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2017, 12:21:08 AM »

I've heard our supporters singing a song on a similar theme[to the Lukaku one] about Kodjia more than once.

No takers on this?

Only heard it once and that was from a small group walking down the Trinity Road to a game last season.  Was surprised to see some females joining in given the content.  Haven't actually heard it sang inside the ground though. 

Mainly at away games, now I think of it.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2017, 12:22:37 AM »
Re: the Lukaku chant. It's just that, a football chant, Villa aren't by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. It's 'banter' and meant as a laugh, they're not saying they hate black people. Man Utd sang a song about Park Ji Sung 'eating dogs in his home country' for years and nothing was said, yet mention a black man having a big dick and racism is screamed from people who think they should be offended by it.

YOU DON'T GET TO DECIDE WHAT'S RACIST, YOU ******* ****** ******

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2017, 12:25:27 AM »

You think I'm a star? Thank you, that's sweet.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2017, 12:27:03 AM »
I'm guessing because some groups of travelling supporters are known to sing fairly dickish songs at Brighton that they don't sing elsewhere.

I watch Brighton at the AMEX very often.

Rarely does a rival group of fans not have some sort of "does your boyfriend know you're here" chant.

It is not as bad as it once was by any means, and recently they have been ejecting people from the stadium for these kind of chants, but it isn't uncommon.

I attended a Leeds vs Brighton match about 10 or so years ago and the Leeds fans delighted in singing “you’re just a town full of faggots” for what felt like the entire match.
We’re getting there in eradicating racism in football but eradicating homophobia is lagging far behind because it still goes on. It’s good to see the FA finally getting their act together though.

Leeds fans get slagged off for Jimmy Saville don't they?

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2017, 12:28:11 AM »
I'm guessing because some groups of travelling supporters are known to sing fairly dickish songs at Brighton that they don't sing elsewhere.

I watch Brighton at the AMEX very often.

Rarely does a rival group of fans not have some sort of "does your boyfriend know you're here" chant.

It is not as bad as it once was by any means, and recently they have been ejecting people from the stadium for these kind of chants, but it isn't uncommon.

I attended a Leeds vs Brighton match about 10 or so years ago and the Leeds fans delighted in singing “you’re just a town full of faggots” for what felt like the entire match.
We’re getting there in eradicating racism in football but eradicating homophobia is lagging far behind because it still goes on. It’s good to see the FA finally getting their act together though.

Leeds fans get slagged off for Jimmy Saville don't they?

What's that got to do with anything?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2017, 12:33:42 AM »

No takers on this?

Mainly at away games, now I think of it.

To be fair, where I sit in the lower North Stand there isn't much singing anyway, so it is unlikely to be heard there. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:36:45 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »

You think I'm a star? Thank you, that's sweet.

So you're on a wind-up. Well done, success.

If one defends racism but doesn't actually believe what one's defending, I think that would be worse than being the kind of thick, ignorant pigskin of a dogfucker who'd actually purport to be so disgusting. Your lack of education would make us all complicit, but at least there'd be an excuse for your hateful lack of humanity.

Offline atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2017, 12:50:22 AM »
In the upper North Stand we heard a chant that went on for a while that included the word lesbian. I hope they ban those responsible.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2017, 12:54:18 AM »

Next time someone gets lynched for being fat, or murdered for being ginger, I'll tell you you're right. Until then I'll tell you you're a fucking idiot. 

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2017, 01:03:52 AM »

Next time someone gets lynched for being fat, or murdered for being ginger, I'll tell you you're right. Until then I'll tell you you're a fucking idiot. 

I can't believe I scrubbed around for my Thesaurus of Less-Effective Words!

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2017, 01:11:30 AM »
If what is being reported is true, then it's quite possible that someone in the home section possibly knew her which could have prompted the unnecessary and disgusting outburst. It only needs one moron to start something that other morons find funny and you then have a recipe for trouble.
That is a massive assumption. 

Nothing was assumed whatsoever there Tom, what was done is that someone used there imagination.

Since I'm stepping up to my soapbox I'll flag up Shelley said "The great instrument of moral good is the imagination". Yes Tom I'm sure you don't come to Football to think about right and wrong but you've waded in, so greetings.

I experience a real split between

1) relief that consensus is gradually shifting, towards actually being respectful to other beings and appreciating something that is not a big deal and is just banter to one, is deeply hurtful to another, or worse...

...and 2) surprise/disappointment at the defensiveness. Sure we don't know details etc, but isn't good to be *open* to the possibility that we aren't perfect and some of our fans may have been out of order? I'm glad and sad at this report, glad the story is opened up, of course sad it's our club. Are we so insecure or immature we can't tolerate or be open to criticism?

Very happy to read about ideas of Rainbow flags etc. I was v keen to have a pro-Tommy Hitz banner the match on TV immediately after he came out. Would love to see him come launch one.

And yes. I know. It's football what do you expect?

Well actually I expect change. I don't see the widespread racism I saw as a kid. I still see and hear the odd bit. It has changed. Needs to more.

I hear less homophobia but there is still plenty.

I'm getting on a bit, but hope to have a kid, and bring him or her to the Villa. I hope I don't have to do what my dad did on occasions and cover my ears or simply pretend it didn't happen.

I don't care if anyone replies and says I'm being PC etc. I sometimes go to football matches in a land where homophobia results in people getting outed in newspapers, being put in prison and being killed from time to time.

Of course it's not that extreme, but, I can imagine how I'd feel if I was gay and having to keep quiet listening to the crap that still gets heard, it's bad enough hearing it when it's not aimed at me. The times they are (thankfully) a-changing. This means things start to get looked at. They weren't before. Deal with it.

Rant over.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal