collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396478 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2895 on: February 12, 2017, 04:26:43 PM »
Terrible panic appointment. Instead of finding someone who suits the club and vice-versa and build for the long term (like a certain Mr Taylor all those years ago), we jumped at "Mr guaranteed promotion" and his dark ages football, but hey-ho we can get rid once he gets us promot...

oh.

I don't see anything wrong with employing a manager who's got a track record of getting teams promoted. Isn't that what Sir Graham did with Watford after all?

big difference is Taylor became Mr watford - he understood the club. Then he joined us and became Mr. Villa  and did the same. Both clubs he was in it for the long term and moulded it in his image. Only thing Bruce moulds is his hair.

So we can only employ managers who are engrained with other clubs and who might just understand ours? Is that what you are suggesting?

We've had a long sustained period of things not being right at the club from the owner down. A very strong personality was/is needed to turn that mindset round. I don't get the feeling Bruce understands the club anymore than the previous managers, just that he was parachuted in to "get promotion" and is now realising its not that simple.. you need a man with clout to turn a big club round - a SGT, dare i say it a MON even. We're not blose or Hull.

So who do suggest out of interest?

Personally it would be Howe.Give him carte blanche to run the club how he wants.  I don't think persuading SGT to join us was any easier than Howe would be. There's other names but he would be gettable imo.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2896 on: February 12, 2017, 04:27:16 PM »
Hopefully James Brittle sorry James Bree won't be as lightweight as Bennett was who seemed to miss so many games with cut knees or broken fingernails.

We need him fit as I agree even at this level Hutton is a completely mediocre player.

In fairness to the club De Laet was signed as the first choice RB so it was very unlucky to lose him for the season after he played one game.

I assume Hutton is out of contract end of season so can get shot of him.

Why are you calling a new player who's missed 1 game  Brittle?
#
It's harsh but I don't want yet another injury prone FB as we've had plenty over the years especially one who can keep Hutton out of the team.

He's only been here two weeks and is already injured so not a good sign.

Injury prone? Because he's missed one game?

According to the report when he signed he was injured for Barnsley this season from August to October and I believe he had issues last season.

He's played 19 games for them this season i think.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2897 on: February 12, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »
I can imagine the shitstorm that would erupt if we appointed a third Fukkinbluenose. What I can't imagine is what decent manager would want to be our sixth in two years.

I really haven't seen much evidence that managers care about that sort of thing anymore. Impatient sacking is such a part of the game now that they're happy so long as they're guaranteed a chunky severance package.

Swansea haven't had a problem attracting managers and they've had 18 in 17 years.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2898 on: February 12, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
On top of that I think even failing with a club isn't enough to put a manager into being unemployable, Lambert has had 2 jobs since we sacked him for example.

I honestly think we need a change in approach though, someone happy to work with what he has rather than wanting to make a huge number of changes every window.  A coach who can genuinely improve our players and start getting them looking like a team.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2899 on: February 12, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »
Not keen on another change again so soon, but Dean Smith or Warburton would fit that criteria. 

However, part of the appeal to most managers/ head coaches will be that a club like ours has bigger resources than clubs they have previously been used to.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2900 on: February 12, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »
Not keen on another change again so soon, but Dean Smith or Warburton would fit that criteria. 

However, part of the appeal to most managers/ head coaches will be that a club like ours has bigger resources than clubs they have previously been used to.

Is that necessarily a good thing? I would rather a manager with the requisite experience than one who is stepping into the unknown. As we see with players the level of expectation at Villa can weigh heavy.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2901 on: February 12, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
I can imagine the shitstorm that would erupt if we appointed a third Fukkinbluenose. What I can't imagine is what decent manager would want to be our sixth in two years.

I really haven't seen much evidence that managers care about that sort of thing anymore. Impatient sacking is such a part of the game now that they're happy so long as they're guaranteed a chunky severance package.

Swansea haven't had a problem attracting managers and they've had 18 in 17 years.

I'm sure we were told that nobody would want the job if RDM was sacked so soon after being backed by Xia, and yet here we are with Steve Bruce.

Offline supertom

« Reply #2902 on: February 12, 2017, 07:12:26 PM »
5-3-2 at home to Ipswich. I want Bruce to succeed I really do, but just for that decision alone he can fuck the fuck off to the ends of the fucking Earth. Potato for a head and mash for bloody brains. He's lost me and short of 16 wins on the trot he'll struggle to win me back around.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2903 on: February 12, 2017, 07:14:31 PM »
I really don't know why people are so worried about what the media or anyone else will think of us if we sack another manager

we are lying 16th in the championship with no hope of even a play of place, playing the worst football known to man after spending the most money that's ever been spent in this league

and people are worried that sacking another useless manager will make us look like a laughing stock !

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:16:57 PM by john e »

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2904 on: February 12, 2017, 07:21:29 PM »
Strange how 3-5-2 has been condemned as some sort of spawn of Satan formation, as though of itself it condemns a manager. Stranger still when you note that Chelsea, 10 points clear at the top of the PL, have been using it for the majority of the season. Now obviously they have much, much better players but that isn't the point when it is the fact of the formation not the players that is being ridiculed.

It hasn't worked for us, Bruce has said as much himself, but that doesn't mean that trying it was a crazy, off the wall, aberrant experiment.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2905 on: February 12, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »
Strange how 3-5-2 has been condemned as some sort of spawn of Satan formation, as though of itself it condemns a manager. Stranger still when you note that Chelsea, 10 points clear at the top of the PL, have been using it for the majority of the season. Now obviously they have much, much better players but that isn't the point when it is the fact of the formation not the players that is being ridiculed.

It hasn't worked for us, Bruce has said as much himself, but that doesn't mean that trying it was a crazy, off the wall, aberrant experiment.

But it's not just a quality of player thing, it's using the wrong type player specifically playing defensive full backs just will never work.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2906 on: February 12, 2017, 07:49:52 PM »
I think the system is a bit of a red herring. If you want to play good football it's got enough by way of numbers in midfield, width if the strikers break wide correctly, plenty for playing from the back or counterattacking or whatever it is you want to do. I doubt it's particularly the system's fault if the football is muddled and incoherent.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2907 on: February 12, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »
Said it previously when people in dreamland brought him up but why on earth would Eddie Howe leave Bournemouth for a basket case like Aston Villa?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2908 on: February 12, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »

Just about everybody could see that it was doomedd to failure before kick off.  No decent wing backs and therefore no balls into the box for the forward players.  Comparing it to Chelsea is utterly irrelevant.  It was a terrible decision, and got what it deserved, ie nowt.  Your post is like saying "now I know that putting my hand in the oven when it's on is going to hurt, I won't be stupid enough to do it again".  It was a dreadful deciion from a bloke who has sadly lost the plot.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2909 on: February 12, 2017, 07:57:46 PM »
3-5-2 is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal