collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396528 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2880 on: February 12, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »
I can imagine the shitstorm that would erupt if we appointed a third Fukkinbluenose. What I can't imagine is what decent manager would want to be our sixth in two years.

I really haven't seen much evidence that managers care about that sort of thing anymore. Impatient sacking is such a part of the game now that they're happy so long as they're guaranteed a chunky severance package.
I think Dave has a point, the media would be all over this if he was fired within a few games of having finally been able to bring his own players in.They would have a point and I am someone who has serious concerns with Bruce.
He has to be given to the end of the season to see if he can find the plot.
If results and performances by then have not improved significantly we should be giving the next manager the summer to work on the squad.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2881 on: February 12, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
Terrible panic appointment. Instead of finding someone who suits the club and vice-versa and build for the long term (like a certain Mr Taylor all those years ago), we jumped at "Mr guaranteed promotion" and his dark ages football, but hey-ho we can get rid once he gets us promot...

oh.
It was hardly a panic appointment He was the obvious choice at the time.

Obvious - lazy. We're not some hull or blose who can hire some rent-a-promotion manager in the style of bruce/pullis/fat sam. The problems were ingrained and needed a guy who could sort us out from top to bottom. Obviously not Bruce who tends never to stay long anywhere

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2882 on: February 12, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
I can imagine the shitstorm that would erupt if we appointed a third Fukkinbluenose. What I can't imagine is what decent manager would want to be our sixth in two years.

I really haven't seen much evidence that managers care about that sort of thing anymore. Impatient sacking is such a part of the game now that they're happy so long as they're guaranteed a chunky severance package.
I think Dave has a point, the media would be all over this if he was fired within a few games of having finally been able to bring his own players in.They would have a point and I am someone who has serious concerns with Bruce.
He has to be given to the end of the season to see if he can find the plot.
If results and performances by then have not improved significantly we should be giving the next manager the summer to work on the squad.

Oh, if we sack him now we look deranged, I agree. If it doesn't improve by the end of the season, though, and we finish lower-midtable playing depressing stuff, I don't think anybody would really be that surprised if he was gently unmoored and pushed out to sea.

Offline ez

« Reply #2883 on: February 12, 2017, 04:01:44 PM »
well, a slight exaggeration, I think

Well 18 years then. From Atkinson to McLeish.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2884 on: February 12, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
The reality is deadly probably fired a god few more regardless of terming departures resignations

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2885 on: February 12, 2017, 04:03:47 PM »
Terrible panic appointment. Instead of finding someone who suits the club and vice-versa and build for the long term (like a certain Mr Taylor all those years ago), we jumped at "Mr guaranteed promotion" and his dark ages football, but hey-ho we can get rid once he gets us promot...

oh.

I don't see anything wrong with employing a manager who's got a track record of getting teams promoted. Isn't that what Sir Graham did with Watford after all?

big difference is Taylor became Mr watford - he understood the club. Then he joined us and became Mr. Villa  and did the same. Both clubs he was in it for the long term and moulded it in his image. Only thing Bruce moulds is his hair.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #2886 on: February 12, 2017, 04:05:07 PM »
As anyone considered that Dr Tony would be quite cool not being Promoted this season , thus S B. Having time to prepare for next year, due the Promotion Financial clause implemented by Randy Learner

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2887 on: February 12, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »
Hopefully James Brittle sorry James Bree won't be as lightweight as Bennett was who seemed to miss so many games with cut knees or broken fingernails.

We need him fit as I agree even at this level Hutton is a completely mediocre player.

In fairness to the club De Laet was signed as the first choice RB so it was very unlucky to lose him for the season after he played one game.

I assume Hutton is out of contract end of season so can get shot of him.

Why are you calling a new player who's missed 1 game  Brittle?
#
It's harsh but I don't want yet another injury prone FB as we've had plenty over the years especially one who can keep Hutton out of the team.

He's only been here two weeks and is already injured so not a good sign.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2888 on: February 12, 2017, 04:10:41 PM »

oh.

I don't see anything wrong with employing a manager who's got a track record of getting teams promoted. Isn't that what Sir Graham did with Watford after all?

big difference is Taylor became Mr watford - he understood the club. Then he joined us and became Mr. Villa  and did the same. Both clubs he was in it for the long term and moulded it in his image. Only thing Bruce moulds is his hair.

So we can only employ managers who are engrained with other clubs and who might just understand ours? Is that what you are suggesting?

Online Clampy

« Reply #2889 on: February 12, 2017, 04:12:25 PM »
Hopefully James Brittle sorry James Bree won't be as lightweight as Bennett was who seemed to miss so many games with cut knees or broken fingernails.

We need him fit as I agree even at this level Hutton is a completely mediocre player.

In fairness to the club De Laet was signed as the first choice RB so it was very unlucky to lose him for the season after he played one game.

#
It's harsh but I don't want yet another injury prone FB as we've had plenty over the years especially one who can keep Hutton out of the team.

Injury prone? Because he's missed one game?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2890 on: February 12, 2017, 04:17:33 PM »
Is Rowett's football really much better?

I admired the job he did at SHA but really it was counter attacking stuff that worked much better away from home with goals from corners and penalties.

Let's not fall into the trap of thinking he'd play better stuff with more money as other managers we've had in the last 5 years have claimed that and it hasn't happened.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2891 on: February 12, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »

oh.

So we can only employ managers who are engrained with other clubs and who might just understand ours? Is that what you are suggesting?

We've had a long sustained period of things not being right at the club from the owner down. A very strong personality was/is needed to turn that mindset round. I don't get the feeling Bruce understands the club anymore than the previous managers, just that he was parachuted in to "get promotion" and is now realising its not that simple.. you need a man with clout to turn a big club round - a SGT, dare i say it a MON even. We're not blose or Hull.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #2892 on: February 12, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »

As annoyed and bewildered as I am with recent form, i'm absolutely 100% sure changing yet another manager, coaching staff and playing staff is not the answer to our ongoing problems.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2893 on: February 12, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »

oh.

We've had a long sustained period of things not being right at the club from the owner down. A very strong personality was/is needed to turn that mindset round. I don't get the feeling Bruce understands the club anymore than the previous managers, just that he was parachuted in to "get promotion" and is now realising its not that simple.. you need a man with clout to turn a big club round - a SGT, dare i say it a MON even. We're not blose or Hull.

So who do suggest out of interest?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2894 on: February 12, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »

#

Injury prone? Because he's missed one game?

According to the report when he signed he was injured for Barnsley this season from August to October and I believe he had issues last season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal