collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 397232 times)

Offline KRS

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2595 on: February 08, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »
He's trying something different, I don't see what the problem is. Who knows, it might have been something the players have talked about. He's tried it once so far, it might end up being the best or worst idea he's ever had. We won't know unless we give it a go for a few games will we?
The main problem with changing to 352 after just one game is that we don't have any backup CBs apart from Richards. Try to imagine Richards, Elphick + one other at the back...it would be a cluster fuck of epic proportions. Another problem is that unless the mindset changes from the Forest game, then it's going to be utilised more as a defensive and negative tactic where we sit back, concede possession and try to counter.

The only logic I can see to this is that he saw what a mess the team was against Brentford and has resorted to emergency surgery to stop us haemorrhaging goals and keep us tight at the back as a foundation to build upon whilst the new players bed in and get used to playing with each other.  If the performance at Brentford wasn't so bad (or even if Jedi was there to strengthen the back four) then I doubt he would have resorted to 352 so it seems to be more reactionary than a plan.

We have the personnel to play 442 and he should persist with that by using our strengths and putting players in their correct positions. If he doesn't think that Jedi is going to be able to play that many games and/or we haven't got anyone else to play as a holding midfielder then that is another error by Bruce as he should have brought someone in who can play that role when he had the chance in January.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2596 on: February 08, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »
He's trying something different, I don't see what the problem is. Who knows, it might have been something the players have talked about. He's tried it once so far, it might end up being the best or worst idea he's ever had. We won't know unless we give it a go for a few games will we?

The problem is that he seems to have done his transfer business based on 4 at the back and has then changed to 3/5 after 1 game.

He just wanted to try a different formation. Like I said, it's fine by me, I don't have a problem with it at all.

You've literally just said that we won't know unless we give it a few games and my point is that he doesn't appear to have given plan a that. Can you honestly not see why some people see that as him not having any plan at all?

I personally think that the Brentford result scared him and he's switched to make us better at the back whilst the midfield settles, not something I agree with but not as alarming as the Sherwood throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks approach.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2597 on: February 08, 2017, 02:27:06 PM »

The problem is that he seems to have done his transfer business based on 4 at the back and has then changed to 3/5 after 1 game.

He's shit his pants after a trouncing.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2598 on: February 08, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »

He just wanted to try a different formation. Like I said, it's fine by me, I don't have a problem with it at all.

You've literally just said that we won't know unless we give it a few games and my point is that he doesn't appear to have given plan a that. Can you honestly not see why some people see that as him not having any plan at all?

I personally think that the Brentford result scared him and he's switched to make us better at the back whilst the midfield settles, not something I agree with but not as alarming as the Sherwood throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks approach.

Your second paragraph is exactly what I was going to suggest. Whilst his new midfielders get to know each other, maybe he's decided to tighten things up at the back to take the pressure off a little? Again, I don't have a problem with that if that's the case. Like a few people have said, had we stuck our chances away, it would have worked.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2599 on: February 08, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »

The trouncing where you said this, asking for a formation change? Seems to me he did exactly as you wanted.

Well Brucey boy. 4-3-3 clearly doesn't and hasn't worked for us for years. Please can it now.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2600 on: February 08, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »

The trouncing where you said this, asking for a formation change? Seems to me he did exactly as you wanted.

Well Brucey boy. 4-3-3 clearly doesn't and hasn't worked for us for years. Please can it now.

So 5-3-2 hasn't worked since the 90's and 4-3-3 hasn't worked for years either. Hmm.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2601 on: February 08, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »

And what? How many good performances have we seen with the 4-3-3? One? If you're being kind. We are shit playing 4-3-3 aswell. If you have any supporting evidence that he had 5-3-2 in mind when he signed all those players in January then I'd love to see it as it would help clear the picture a little.

He signed a horde of players, then immediately started tinkering with them, playing them in unnatural positions that are alien to them, in a squad of players that have barely met each other. It will only end in one way.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2602 on: February 08, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »

And what? How many good performances have we seen with the 4-3-3? One? If you're being kind. We are shit playing 4-3-3 aswell. If you have any supporting evidence that he had 5-3-2 in mind when he signed all those players in January then I'd love to see it as it would help clear the picture a little.

He signed a horde of players, then immediately started tinkering with them, playing them in unnatural positions that are alien to them, in a squad of players that have barely met each other. It will only end in one way.

Well, 'what' is that you wanted him to change the formation, and then complained that he 'shit his pants' and changed the formation.  It almost makes one think you wouldn't be happy whatever he did.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2603 on: February 08, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »
I think you may be right Sheffield.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2604 on: February 08, 2017, 02:59:02 PM »
Just a guess, but I'd say the majority of fans are delighted with the January signings, even the Bruce critics.

We need to give him a chance.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2605 on: February 08, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
Just a guess, but I'd say the majority of fans are delighted with the January signings, even the Bruce critics.

We need to give him a chance.

The signings are all bang on the money. We could have done with another center back for sure but that's nit picking. If we cannot perform with this current squad in this tripe division and spend the rest of the season flip flopping between formations hoping to hit on something then it's pretty clear what the problem is. Bruce has been a good manager, this is his biggest test.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2606 on: February 08, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »

Disagree a bit with that Paul.  After signing Hogan, he had to find a formation that had two up front, but also incorporated three in midfield.  It was a diamond or 3-5-2 really.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2607 on: February 08, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
I'm slightly confused as to how you achieve 'consistency of team selection' when we've had our (latest) full new squad for one game.

However I dont buy it as an excuse, it was Bruce's decision to change keepers, the entire midfield and swap Hogan for McCormack and Ayew.

What, you think he was wrong to change the midfield and bring in a striker who might, just might, score some goals? Because you can't have it both ways. Either he had a consistent line-up and carried on with the same squad which had been proven inadequate, or he bought in players which is going to mean changing the line-up.

Changing eight players, most of them first team players is naturally going to need a bedding in period. That's not an excuse, that's just the way it is. Only a complete loon would have carried on with the squad we had.

The line up should be relatively consistent in terms of shape and at least attempt to suit the players at his disposal. Particularly players only brought in a couple of weeks ago. I'm not against three at the back as a formation, look at Chelsea for example, but you need to be comfortable on the ball at the back. Neither Elphick or Baker are, and we have no-one else. Any further attempts to continue to play this formation will ultimately end badly for Bruce and AVFC.

This is Sherwood-esque stuff from an experienced manager that should know a lot better. I firmly disagree that we played well at Forest and were unlucky. The possession stats were a disgrace given the players at our disposal. We should be dominating the ball, not punting the ball up to a hiding Kodjia and looking for Hogan to get on a break.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2608 on: February 08, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
We've got no right to be expecing to be dominating the ball, especially away from home. As for playing on the break, if it catches teams out now and again, then fine.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2609 on: February 08, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
You are right, it might work.
He is the manager, it is his decision.
I don't like the idea and based on the players he has got I do not think it will work.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal