collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396623 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2550 on: February 07, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
There is hardly any one advocating him getting the sack, I do not see however why on a fans forum we are not supposed to discuss this managers, results, performances and decisions.

Quite. A few have said that if the next three and a half months are anything like the last two then he won't really have shown enough to warrant being given next season.

Which isn't a particularly controversial position to take.

It's a valid enough point, even if some on here make the same point over and over again day after day.

It's a bit ironic that your post directly above this one starts "Like I've said a few times..."

A few times is a little different to 6 times a day and sometimes more. Ian J makes a better point of it than me.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2551 on: February 07, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »
There is hardly any one advocating him getting the sack, I do not see however why on a fans forum we are not supposed to discuss this managers, results, performances and decisions.

Quite. A few have said that if the next three and a half months are anything like the last two then he won't really have shown enough to warrant being given next season.

It's a valid enough point, even if some on here make the same point over and over again day after day.

Like you make the same pro points over and over again, thats generally how forums work.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2552 on: February 07, 2017, 09:32:41 PM »

Like you make the same pro points over and over again, thats generally how forums work.

What pro points have I made?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2553 on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:49 PM »
I don't see why unless we get even worse than we currently are he should automatically get next season. By the end of this season he'll have had 35 league games in charge. More than enough time to show he's actually improving us, and improving us enough that we'll be capable of mounting a title challenge next year. If we're still playing much as we have since he arrived i'd replace him. We've already seen how a shit first couple of months can totally screw up your season.

And I say all the above as someone that really wants him to succeed as I like him and really i'm sick of constantly replacing managers, but managerial stability is only worth it if you have right manager in place in the first place.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2554 on: February 07, 2017, 09:39:48 PM »
Like I've said a few times, providing we don't nosedive down the league or he doesn't lose the dressing room, he's my choice to take us into next season.

Does 2 points from 6 games and  1 win a 6 defeats in 7 away games not count as nosediving?  That's why I'm posting on this thread so often, I can't work out why there aren't a lot more people who are concerned by this.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #2555 on: February 07, 2017, 09:44:23 PM »
Like I've said a few times, providing we don't nosedive down the league or he doesn't lose the dressing room, he's my choice to take us into next season.

Does 2 points from 6 games and  1 win a 6 defeats in 7 away games not count as nosediving?  That's why I'm posting on this thread so often, I can't work out why there aren't a lot more people who are concerned by this.
I want him gone now but cant be arsed to argue why, lifes too short and all that.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2556 on: February 07, 2017, 09:48:02 PM »
I think it's because the majority, although obviously disappointed at some of the results and that we're not nearer the play off spots, are happy to see how things pan out with his own players in, because he's got a decent track record of getting teams up. It's looking like it may not be this season, but it doesn't mean it can't be next.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2557 on: February 07, 2017, 09:55:25 PM »

Bruce has succeeded in dumbing down expectations. Shit performances, results in a tail spin and throwing the cheque book at the problem.

Changing to 343 was particularly worrying at the weekend, as others have said we barely have three centre halves on the books so the recent transfer plunge surely should have considered another centre half.

Like any manager he needs results to improve but some consistency of tactics and team selection would surely help.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2558 on: February 07, 2017, 09:57:50 PM »
I think it's because the majority, although obviously disappointed at some of the results and that we're not nearer the play off spots, are happy to see how things pan out with his own players in, because he's got a decent track record of getting teams up. It's looking like it may not be this season, but it doesn't mean it can't be next.

As I've said, his record for getting teams promoted got him the job but he needs to start showing signs that he can replicate that here.  What I can't face is us stumbling through to a midtable finish, giving him the summer and then stumbling along in midtable for a few more months before we change again in october/november because we really can't be in this league in 18/19 if we don't want this to turn into an extended visit.  We need to see something to suggest that isn't going to happen and for me it starts with breaking the run of shitty away performances and panicky home games and getting ourselves firmly into the top half of the table. I want a run of 3-4 wins on the bounce just to show that we can do it and create a bit of optimism, something to make me want to look at the league table or check a score for a game I'm not followed without a knot in the pit of my stomach.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2559 on: February 07, 2017, 10:02:26 PM »
I am ok with that however we will need to see a match by match improvement between now and end of the season otherwise I am afraid we can not risk 10 points from 10 games start next season. If that happens it will be another season in the second division.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2560 on: February 07, 2017, 10:15:01 PM »
Wager didn't improve Huddersfield an iota when he took over in December last season. We'd have been clamouring for his neck on the block in the Revolving Door FC.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #2561 on: February 07, 2017, 10:19:53 PM »

Bruce has succeeded in dumbing down expectations. Shit performances, results in a tail spin and throwing the cheque book at the problem.

Changing to 343 was particularly worrying at the weekend, as others have said we barely have three centre halves on the books so the recent transfer plunge surely should have considered another centre half.

Like any manager he needs results to improve but some consistency of tactics and team selection would surely help.

You do realise we've had 9 players come in, in the January transfer window alone, don't you? We've also had 8 out i think, with 3 sold and 5 loaned. I'd suggest it's pretty difficult given those numbers alone, to pick a consistent team. When some players have only actually been here for 1 or 2 games.

He experimented with what he inherited to try and get the best out of it, but the team was obviously not good enough in several areas, and we all knew it. He had a good initial effect but the same old problems kept cropping up. Injuries also dictated teams and tactics too.

Now he's had a fairly good transfer window with his choice of players, given the obvious constraints, and now he has to be given time to work with them. Personally i think we've now got a pretty good group of players, we messed up at Forrest (mostly through individual errors) but i saw a lot of potential in some of the performances and the partnerships that can be struck up.

I think the Dr is doing exactly the right thing too with his latest comments about using this season now as a springboard for the next. It takes the pressure off of the manager and players for a bit, which i think affects a lot of people when they come here, and will allow them to play with a bit more freedom and fluency. If we hit a good run and make the play offs all well and good, if not, we consolidate in the summer by shifting some more of the deadwood, get a few more shrewd acquisitions in and really go for it next season.

Obviously if things continue as they have and don't tangibly improve before the end of the season, then he has to go, but i just can't see that happening with his track record.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2562 on: February 07, 2017, 11:50:57 PM »
Wager didn't improve Huddersfield an iota when he took over in December last season. We'd have been clamouring for his neck on the block in the Revolving Door FC.

Before Wagner they had 3 wins, 6 draws and 8 losses in 17 games.

Between 5 December and 12 Jan they won 5 out of 9.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2563 on: February 08, 2017, 12:07:51 AM »
He also didn't have the talent available to Bruce, he had Wells, Jed Steer and a bunch of players most of us had never heard of, and quite possibly still haven't. He had them playing how he wanted to though and has continued that this season. We still look as disjointed as a team as ever. And that's what, for me at least, Bruce needs to show by the end of the season that he has fixed.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2564 on: February 08, 2017, 05:59:37 AM »
I am with aftab on this.  An improving curve of results is what we must see, not the day of instant coming together and smashing the Championship at some unspecified future date.   We must have tangible evidence in the form of goals scored, clean sheets kept and points accumulated long before the start of next season if August is not to be a repeat of last year.
It is all speculation on our part anyway because the one who has to be convinced by Bruce is Tony Xia not us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal