collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396550 times)

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2535 on: February 07, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »
If we were in the business of replacing Steve, which I have no interest in whatsoever I might add, my pick would be Dean Jones.
That's without the fact he's one of us, the occasions I've witnessed his modestly assembled team they've played with skill and conviction, and appear to be very well organised.
Once Hogan has " adjusted " ( another word for gelled ) he will take over the striker role for sure. His play off the ball was great for making space into which Kodjia could go. He did all he could to be deferential - but now he has realised that Kodjia isn't that sort of team player, he will make the striker role his own IMO.
Steve Bruce…..
I think some contributors have missed a few things here…….
SB inherited a barrow load of problem child-type non-players that he couldn’t get rid of, so was forced to try to work with.
He walked into a situation where two of our best players were out for weeks in Africa and had no reasonable reserves (kids mostly)
He got badly let down by McCormack who is having whatever problems, but can’t be bothered to turn up for training
He had to wait for the January window  - I am sure he was pleased with the acquisitions – and then try to make it all work within 3 days.
His new left back has a broken face and is not match-ready.
His “ established “ left back has had a succession of mares and ( perhaps ) he thought should be rested.
His new left wing back – Thor – played himself into the role by the second half and was quite good first time around.
His returning African CF had claimed the prize for greedy B of the week and his new partner Hogan was too willing to give him “ seniority “ ( one time offer only, I think )
His glamour star Grealish was booked for something he should know better and then sent off for a half-hearted tackle, when he was clearly not taking part any longer.
Most of this side haven’t played together for more than one game …..and after all that, we think the Manager should be sacked.
Come on!

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2536 on: February 07, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »
We've had two games so far with a huge turnover of playing staff with very little preparation with these players. Why don't we just let Bruce have time with this squad and work on getting a system and team plan together to conquer the league next season. I can't believe we're even talking about replacement if I'm Perfectly honest.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #2537 on: February 07, 2017, 08:31:51 PM »
I'm with you, mate. Stability and patience is what we need. Unfortunately the dream immediate return is probably out of reach. Let's support what we've got, till we can't any longer. Next Christmas - minimum - for me.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2538 on: February 07, 2017, 08:32:23 PM »
If we were in the business of replacing Steve, which I have no interest in whatsoever I might add, my pick would be Dean Jones.
That's without the fact he's one of us, the occasions I've witnessed his modestly assembled team they've played with skill and conviction, and appear to be very well organised.
Once Hogan has " adjusted " ( another word for gelled ) he will take over the striker role for sure. His play off the ball was great for making space into which Kodjia could go. He did all he could to be deferential - but now he has realised that Kodjia isn't that sort of team player, he will make the striker role his own IMO.
Steve Bruce…..
I think some contributors have missed a few things here…….
SB inherited a barrow load of problem child-type non-players that he couldn’t get rid of, so was forced to try to work with.
He walked into a situation where two of our best players were out for weeks in Africa and had no reasonable reserves (kids mostly)
He got badly let down by McCormack who is having whatever problems, but can’t be bothered to turn up for training
He had to wait for the January window  - I am sure he was pleased with the acquisitions – and then try to make it all work within 3 days.
His new left back has a broken face and is not match-ready.
His “ established “ left back has had a succession of mares and ( perhaps ) he thought should be rested.
His new left wing back – Thor – played himself into the role by the second half and was quite good first time around.
His returning African CF had claimed the prize for greedy B of the week and his new partner Hogan was too willing to give him “ seniority “ ( one time offer only, I think )
His glamour star Grealish was booked for something he should know better and then sent off for a half-hearted tackle, when he was clearly not taking part any longer.
Most of this side haven’t played together for more than one game …..and after all that, we think the Manager should be sacked.
Come on!

Totally agree Bob, patience is what is required, not "sack Bruce"

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2539 on: February 07, 2017, 08:35:17 PM »
There is hardly any one advocating him getting the sack, I do not see however why on a fans forum we are not supposed to discuss this managers, results, performances and decisions.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2540 on: February 07, 2017, 08:38:11 PM »
There is hardly any one advocating him getting the sack, I do not see however why on a fans forum we are not supposed to discuss this managers, results, performances and decisions.

Quite. A few have said that if the next three and a half months are anything like the last two then he won't really have shown enough to warrant being given next season.

Which isn't a particularly controversial position to take.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2541 on: February 07, 2017, 08:42:41 PM »

He got Herbie going well but has been dead a while so it's a no from me.

Where in the name of God did I get Jones from?!?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2542 on: February 07, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »
I'm with you, mate. Stability and patience is what we need. Unfortunately the dream immediate return is probably out of reach. Let's support what we've got, till we can't any longer. Next Christmas - minimum - for me.

Why wait two months into the new season or Christmas to replace a manager? Indifferent to who the manager is, the summer should be the time to review and replace if necessary. The choice is far greater, he is allowed to work with the squad preseason, we won't hear about "oh wait until he has his own players", unfit players will be his responsibility, he has the greater selection in the transfer market and more time to prepare for the new season.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2543 on: February 07, 2017, 08:57:26 PM »
Again, I'm confident he'll get us sorted but if we started poorly next season, it's tatty-bye.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2544 on: February 07, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »

Why wait two months into the new season or Christmas to replace a manager? Indifferent to who the manager is, the summer should be the time to review and replace if necessary. The choice is far greater, he is allowed to work with the squad preseason, we won't hear about "oh wait until he has his own players", unfit players will be his responsibility, he has the greater selection in the transfer market and more time to prepare for the new season.

Exactly, this is why the next 2-3 months is so important for him and is the point I've been trying to make all along when people are saying he needs at least a year and that we should give him the summer and then see how he starts the season.  I want that but he needs to earn that right and pointing at 4 promotions elsewhere means fuck all if we don't see a big improvement now that he has his own players and has been here long enough for his training methods to be well established.  He's got rid of 'problem' players and should have a coaching team that is entirely his.  From here he has no excuses (I don't particularly like the current one about his new players need to settle/gel, that's a cop out for me) and the results need to come.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2545 on: February 07, 2017, 09:07:49 PM »
Like I've said a few times, providing we don't nosedive down the league or he doesn't lose the dressing room, he's my choice to take us into next season.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2546 on: February 07, 2017, 09:19:30 PM »

Quite. A few have said that if the next three and a half months are anything like the last two then he won't really have shown enough to warrant being given next season.

It's a valid enough point, even if some on here make the same point over and over again day after day.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2547 on: February 07, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
Like I've said a few times, providing we don't nosedive down the league or he doesn't lose the dressing room, he's my choice to take us into next season.

I'm afraid I will need to see quite a bit more than that.  I want to see consistency and a spark that gives me confidence that will see us on the right track for next season.  Next season starts with what remains of this one.  Bruce will still need to add one or two players (and clear out a few) in the Summer but this squad should be good enough if coached and managed properly.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2548 on: February 07, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »

It's a valid enough point, even if some on here make the same point over and over again day after day.

It's a bit ironic that your post directly above this one starts "Like I've said a few times..."

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2549 on: February 07, 2017, 09:26:24 PM »

Yep, I agree with that. Maybe like you say as some people just repeat the same point over and over again it makes it seem there is more than there actually is who want him out, where really it's only a few. Especially when I only skim through the thread in the morning and night.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal