collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396568 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2430 on: February 06, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »
ok looks like I read that wrong

grammar not my strongest point obviously

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2431 on: February 06, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
to be honest I don't know who to replace him with if he's sacked but if it happens (and I don't think it should yet but I think we need to improve massively in the next couple of months for him not to deserve it) but I do know that I'd rather we went big (like Newcastle) instead of 'who can we get who's never managed a big club and therefore is available for us'.  We talk about being a big club and we have an owner who wants us to be a massive club but all too often we go for the obvious choice (lives locally, has done a decent job for the level we're at, his teams have played well against us before).

I want us to find someone who is out of our depth and convince them that we're on the up, a manager who's too good for where we are.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #2432 on: February 06, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
to be honest I don't know who to replace him with if he's sacked but if it happens (and I don't think it should yet but I think we need to improve massively in the next couple of months for him not to deserve it) but I do know that I'd rather we went big (like Newcastle) instead of 'who can we get who's never managed a big club and therefore is available for us'.  We talk about being a big club and we have an owner who wants us to be a massive club but all too often we go for the obvious choice (lives locally, has done a decent job for the level we're at, his teams have played well against us before).

I want us to find someone who is out of our depth and convince them that we're on the up, a manager who's too good for where we are.
Pretty much this!

That's what sends out a statement of intent and will attract good quality players.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2433 on: February 06, 2017, 06:32:20 PM »

Pretty much this!

That's what sends out a statement of intent and will attract good quality players.

Sacking a highly-respected manager after four months won't.

« Reply #2434 on: February 06, 2017, 06:37:25 PM »

Pretty much this!

Not what I'm suggesting Dave...I want Bruce to be successful...I had my doubts about his appointment but I'll be delighted if he starts to turn things around now he's got some of the players he wants.
My concern/expectation, similar to many on here, is that IF we do go up next season we will be looking for a "bigger" manager and "better" players....more change that we don't want/need.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2435 on: February 06, 2017, 06:41:14 PM »

Pretty much this!

Not what I'm suggesting Dave...I want Bruce to be successful...I had my doubts about his appointment but I'll be delighted if he starts to turn things around now he's got some of the players he wants.

It amuses me the amount of people who have said that but still rant and rave about him on a daily basis.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2436 on: February 06, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »
Why is that amusing? We all want him to succeed, but at the moment he isn't, not everybody shares your everythings rosey in the garden attitude.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2437 on: February 06, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Why is that amusing? We all want him to succeed, but at the moment he isn't, not everybody shares your everythings rosey in the garden attitude.

If you can point out where I have said everything is rosy, then please do so.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2438 on: February 06, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »

It amuses me the amount of people who have said that but still rant and rave about him on a daily basis.

I fail to see what's amusing.  People want him to do well, but are cross that he isn't.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2439 on: February 06, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
I don't think a charge of the garden not being rosy is merited but the roses need dead heading. Expertly.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2440 on: February 06, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »

Pretty much this!

We're all Villa fans and we all want us to do well. Are you suggesting they're fans on here who secretly want us to fail?

« Reply #2441 on: February 06, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »

Pretty much this!

No ranting and raving from me Clampy...I genuinely think - and hope - that now that he's got some of the players that he's identified as being able to do the job he wants them to do, that we will improve and I'm happy to give him credit for it.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2442 on: February 06, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »

Pretty much this!

We're all Villa fans and we all want us to do well. Are you suggesting they're fans on here who secretly want us to fail?

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. Where have I said that?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2443 on: February 06, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
I think the words "rant" and "rave" hardly describe the vast majority of us who, while very loyal to Steve Bruce, reserve the right to comment on things we see as mistakes.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2444 on: February 06, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »
It has been covered above but the biggest mark against Bruce IMO is the sudden change to 3 centre halves, which immediately makes us look light on numbers again, when we just had a transfer window in which to fix this and an owner with his chequebook ready.

Agree with that

we dont have the personnel to play with 3 centre halves, baker is injury prone and elphick is shit

relying on jedinak to feature regularly is also a dodgy road to go down given his injury record, international duty and fitness levels

we need to have a settled side

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal