collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396589 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2415 on: February 06, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »
It has been covered above but the biggest mark against Bruce IMO is the sudden change to 3 centre halves, which immediately makes us look light on numbers again, when we just had a transfer window in which to fix this and an owner with his chequebook ready.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2416 on: February 06, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
As individuals we are all guilty of believing that we are the greatest football tacticians and that the manager of our team whoever it has been is tactically naïve.

Steve Bruce has 4 promotions to his name. Surely you don't get 4 teams promoted by being tactically naïve. The problems we have are far greater than that. Bruce has taken steps to address what he sees are the problems within the side. Granted the initial performances since ALL the signing does not bode well but we have to give this guy some time.

I desperately want to see improvements but I also accept that it's going to take more than a few month and its certainly harder than all the wishful thinking that we are all guilty of

Those 4 promotions got him the job, our performances and results being good enough are what keep him in the job and on that front, right now, he's failing.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #2417 on: February 06, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
As individuals we are all guilty of believing that we are the greatest football tacticians and that the manager of our team whoever it has been is tactically naïve.

Steve Bruce has 4 promotions to his name. Surely you don't get 4 teams promoted by being tactically naïve. The problems we have are far greater than that. Bruce has taken steps to address what he sees are the problems within the side. Granted the initial performances since ALL the signing does not bode well but we have to give this guy some time.

I desperately want to see improvements but I also accept that it's going to take more than a few month and its certainly harder than all the wishful thinking that we are all guilty of

Those 4 promotions got him the job, our performances and results being good enough are what keep him in the job and on that front, right now, he's failing.

Exactly this. I'm past caring what managers have achieved elsewhere, in years gone by. Here and now is what matters and the reality is that we are doing very, very badly. What really worries me is that Bruce as a Manager seems to be doing everything badly. Getting the line-up wrong, getting the formation wrong, making substitutions that don't affect the game, etc. The team look more planless than they ever did under Lambert or RDM, and the work-rate seems to have dropped to an all-time low.

What's really bizarre is that we actually looked quite decent for his first couple of games...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:21:05 PM by RussellC »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2418 on: February 06, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »
Who should we bring in to replace him then?

Offline Rico

« Reply #2419 on: February 06, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »
I'd expect that Steve Bruce must be looking over his shoulder right now. If the current form continues to the end of the season then we could find ourselves in league one, which would surely, and quite rightly end in him being relieved of his duties at B6.

The problem as I see it is what happens if we just keep bimbling along, doing enough to avoid relegation, but not troubling the top half of the table. Do we stick with him and give him ten or so games next season and hope for the best. Again I would have to say a bottom half finish should probably result in the sack.

I really hope the above scenario doesn't pan out because I like Steve Bruce and I'm fed up with changing managers, but the current form is unacceptable considering how much we have spent.

Best case scenario is that starting from our next game we have a massive upturn in form and scrape into the play offs and everyone is happy. I hope this is the case, because like I've said I'm fed up with changing managers, and I really don't like being in this division.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2420 on: February 06, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »
I really don't think the threat to Bruce's security comes from us, the fans, certainly not from me, though I see his time with us littered with unforced mistakes.  His biggest worry has to be Tony Xia.  The owner has done everything expected of him.  I could not blame him if he turned his back on us, or turned his back on Bruce.  Regardless of what Bruce supporters like me think, he, without Xia behind him will be toast.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #2421 on: February 06, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »

Well, for a start, any of the Managers of the 13 clubs above us in the second tier of English football are currently doing a better job than he is. In all but 1 case, I'd guess for considerably lower salaries too.

Besides, I haven't suggested sacking him at this stage, and am not doing. However, the idea that there isn't a long list of potential improvements doesn't currently carry much weight.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #2422 on: February 06, 2017, 05:22:40 PM »

Well, for a start, any of the Managers of the 13 clubs above us in the second tier of English football are currently doing a better job than he is. In all but 1 case, I'd guess for considerably lower salaries too.

Besides, I haven't suggested sacking him at this stage, and am not doing. However, the idea that there isn't a long list of potential improvements doesn't currently carry much weight.

So according to your logic Zola is doing a better job than Bruce because Blose are above Villa? In my opinion that is total bollox.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2423 on: February 06, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
It has been covered above but the biggest mark against Bruce IMO is the sudden change to 3 centre halves, which immediately makes us look light on numbers again, when we just had a transfer window in which to fix this and an owner with his chequebook ready.

That and the wispy-washy, half-hearted way he describes the reasons for trying it, to paraphrase:  "I quite like it, I've used it before and it worked quite well, so we'll give it a go and try hard to make it better."  Hardly a ringing endorsement and not much of a sign that his signings were made with any particular style of play in mind.  It'll also be bollocksed the first time that any of the three central defenders are injured or suspended.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2424 on: February 06, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »

So according to your logic Zola is doing a better job than Bruce because Blose are above Villa? In my opinion that is total bollox.

No because I think he actually states 'in all but one case' in his post

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #2425 on: February 06, 2017, 05:40:59 PM »
That and the wispy-washy, half-hearted way he describes the reasons for trying it, to paraphrase:  "I quite like it, I've used it before and it worked quite well, so we'll give it a go and try hard to make it better."  Hardly a ringing endorsement and not much of a sign that his signings were made with any particular style of play in mind.  It'll also be bollocksed the first time that any of the three central defenders are injured or suspended.

Managers stumble on formations far more often than some magical tactical insight. He has made the change because he wants to play Hogan and Kodija together. That makes sense. He also wants to retain 3 in the middle to enable Jedinak to play the holding role and let Hourihane and Lansbury more freedom. This also makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:42:38 PM by nick harper »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2426 on: February 06, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »

To being paid less than Bruce, the one being Rafa.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #2427 on: February 06, 2017, 05:42:58 PM »

I think that refers to Newcastle paying more than us.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #2428 on: February 06, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »

That is the start of the next sentence as in, all on lower wages apart from one.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2429 on: February 06, 2017, 05:47:45 PM »
When Bruce gave his first press interview didn't he say that he was working on the same sort of basis MON did' as in having some sort of rolling contract?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal