collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396769 times)

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2070 on: February 01, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
Nobody ever got a job by not believing they were the best candidate, if you want to use that analogy.

Yes they do. People are surprised to get jobs they didn't think they would get all the time. And to counter your first analogy, lots of people go to football matches thinking their team will lose. Have you ever seen us play Man Utd in the last 20 years?

As I say, optimism is one thing, arrogance is another.

Yes. Optimism is one thing and arrogance is another. And you are determined to see arrogance.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2071 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
Nobody ever got a job by not believing they were the best candidate, if you want to use that analogy.

Yes they do. People are surprised to get jobs they didn't think they would get all the time. And to counter your first analogy, lots of people go to football matches thinking their team will lose. Have you ever seen us play Man Utd in the last 20 years?

As I say, optimism is one thing, arrogance is another.

Yes. Optimism is one thing and arrogance is another. And you are determined to see arrogance.

Where it exists, that's where I see it.

You said you believed Villa would lose against Brentford. You made that decision by assessing the possible team and its few-too-many new additions. You made a reasoned judgement. Nothing arrogant about that.

Some of us made the reasoned judgement that the club was in such bad health it would not bounce back to the PL at the first attempt. Others decided to disregard all that evidence and insist we would smash lesser clubs out the water because we are who we are. That's arrogance.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2072 on: February 01, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »
I thought we'd beat lesser clubs because we had better players. Is that optimism, or arrogance?

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #2073 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
The word 'lesser' is the giveaway there. We're all in this division for a reason.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2074 on: February 01, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
I thought we'd beat lesser clubs because we had better players. Is that optimism, or arrogance?
that's a fair expectation.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2075 on: February 01, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »

Why do you think we're not beating them, and have consistently failed to beat them in the past even when they were in a 'lesser' division?

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #2076 on: February 01, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »
Pass and move.  Pass and move.   Do they practice knitting at BMH.

Couldn't agree more. Football isn't that hard really. If people move then can be open for a pass, and when you pass it, you move and then become open for a pass. It's not difficult to do that.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #2077 on: February 01, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
Remember this at the Theatre of Wet Dreams?

"Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie."

or in our case "Three months of excuses and its still crap ... ta-ra Brucey"

Now i am not quite stupid as to equate SAF with Bruce but i do think time is required to allow him to develop his side, get them playing his way and with his players. If this time next year there is no progress then we need to look again [assuming we don't get relegated!!] 

Just my view

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2078 on: February 01, 2017, 12:50:34 PM »
The biggest worry for me is that bruce has made zero impact

Appalling away form and huffing and puffing at home

We still aint fit ffs

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2079 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:02 PM »
Every department of the squad now has a good selection of players to choose from. We need to give Bruce the time to develop his team ethic and personality over the next 18 games, so we are in a position to hit the ground running next season. Talk of sacking another manager is ridiculous ,premature and unhelpful.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2080 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:57 PM »

Is OK Damon, it's my fault for having a high opinion of the club.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2081 on: February 01, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
I think its no time to put pressure on the manager. We've probably got the best equipped guy at this level. We have a huge and strong and proud history but that's all it is. History.

Bruce needs time to develop the side for next season. The additions in this window are good ones and will improve us but patience is needed here from us. I know its not popular but overnight solutions don't exist.

I think we've got to realise where we are because the weight of expectation for this club is clearly draining on the manager and players. This club is sinking in quicksand and the more we pile pressure on it by continually swapping managers and staff the lower we'll get. I swear that if we listened hard enough you could hear VP creaking under the weight of expectation! As Dave pointed out, we're slowly turning into Forest.

Our slide needs be arrested and surely somebody who achieved our goal as recent as last season is best equipped to do it?

We've clearly got an owner who cares for this club. Let's hope he is a patient man because its a critical time for this club that we all love.
It certainly didn't look like he's well equipped. He looked clueless. He made no changes to the play or formation and waiting till the game was over before making a substitution. Charlatan

His record doesn't suggest that. His record suggests that he tends to get it right at this level. If after 3 months or whatever it is it's the majority view that we try somebody else then fine.

Lets ask this owner to start again and appoint a new manager with new staff and new players and try again on the proviso that the new boss has 3 months to get it right. Nice attractive offer there to seduce top managers.

We're fucked if this is how we're going to operate. Get used to the Championship at best because there's no way things will change unless we're patient.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #2082 on: February 01, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
I have never been a great fan of Bruce, although definitely an upgrade on RDM.  He has a lot of friends in the media and amongst  ex-pros who talk him up as being better than he is.

I would put him in the group of British mansgers who hsve passed their best by date.  It was always going to be difficult to get out of this division, particularly after our poor start.  I hoped we would have given a younger man a chance, Rowett and Graham Alexander for instance.

Still  I assume Brice had a big say in who came in and it will be his team from now on.  I hope he proves me to be a naysayer of the first order and we end up in the play offs.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #2083 on: February 01, 2017, 01:08:28 PM »
The biggest worry for me is that bruce has made zero impact

Appalling away form and huffing and puffing at home

We still aint fit ffs

But he has made a impact. There are small, positive shoots coming through. Green has broken into the first team. Baker looks a decent player. The midfield problems have been addressed - time will tell how successfully. Players that have offered very little to the team have been shipped out, most of which with financial returns. The first player to take the piss has been publicly shamed and fucked off out of the club, the first young player trying to hold the club to ransom has been bombed from the squad.
They are mainly small things and will hopefully snowball over time, but until they do we need to realize we are the big scalp of the division and will probably get beat a few times

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2084 on: February 01, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
As bad as last night was, the first half against Preston at VP was apparently excellent so we've proved we don't play like we did last night all time, although there have been one too many shockers away from home this season. I'm still happy to give Bruce into next season. I just don't see the point in starting all over again with another manager but obviously we have to improve. Last night was on a par with Preston away and I didn't think that was possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal