collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396786 times)

Offline Jimbo

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2055 on: February 01, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
Funny how we keep on recruiting shit board members, shit managers, shit coaches, shit scouts and shit players isn't it, Ads? And doesn't it strike you as slightly odd that when some of those shit people go to other (apparently shit) clubs they suddenly become not quite as shit as we all thought they were. Ciaran Clark and "Newcastle Circus FC" spring to mind.

But then you were the one who thought we were going to go to places like Griffin Park this season and smash all and sundry into pink mist as we marched back to our rightful place in the Premier League.

I don't believe in gypsy curses, but I do believe big organisations that stop trying, lose their way and go into freefall need a big change in culture to get them back to where they once were. One of the things that needs to change might be an insufferable arrogance and sense of entitlement that makes clubs like Brentford want to rub our noses in the shit, and apparently enables them to do so on a regular basis.

Something in the mindset has to change. I don't know exactly what it is. I don't know if anybody does. It isn't anything to do with sprigs of heather or corn dollies, though, I know that much.     

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #2056 on: February 01, 2017, 11:23:48 AM »
I agree with Jimbo and several others on here, today, who suggest that the focus now has to be on the culture-change scenario. And it is SB who has to look at what HE wants, and get his coaches - Clemence and Calderwood predominantly - to follow a pattern - set by him.
And he must stay involved to ensure it is being done the way he wants it.
Because he's the one who has to face the press making abject apologies for things he obviously has a big influence over.

I think we will go to forst with a different set-up and a different attitude........and win !

The future starts here.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2057 on: February 01, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »
I predicted we'd go straight back up yes.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #2058 on: February 01, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
I think we will go to forst with a different set-up and a different attitude........and win !.

I feel like we've been saying this each game this season. "This next game, this is the one where it'll happen".

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #2059 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:12 AM »
I agree.........but all we have got is hope. WE can't influence anything and so, we over-criticise what doesn't work and then should we deny ourselves the pleasure of what " might " happen?

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #2060 on: February 01, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »
No supporter ever went to a game because he thought his* team would lose. Optimism is the basis of all this

*EDIT: or her (sexism)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:39:26 AM by damon loves JT »

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #2061 on: February 01, 2017, 11:35:53 AM »
No, you're right Bob, hope springs eternal and all that. I guess I'm just a bit worn out after repeatedly building myself up with the hope that Villa will turn up, only for them to redefine 'bollocks'.

We'll get there!

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #2062 on: February 01, 2017, 11:39:13 AM »
Nelly, there is absolutely NO doubt that over many years the Hope Springs Eternal phrase has always been at the forefront of a Villa supporter's mind.
I can only remember a few seasons when we expected to win, based on the fact that we always win, don't we ? 'cos were the Villa.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2063 on: February 01, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
No supporter ever went to a game because he thought his team would lose. Optimism is the basis of all this

But there's a difference between hope and optimism, and arrogance and hubris. If I prepare meticulously for a job interview, I can be optimistic that I will get the job. If I do the bare minimum of preparation, and still think I'm going to walk the interview, that might be seen as arrogance.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #2064 on: February 01, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Nobody ever got a job by not believing they were the best candidate, if you want to use that analogy.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #2065 on: February 01, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
Been there.

But you hit it on the head.

Poor Preparation.
Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2066 on: February 01, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »
I think its no time to put pressure on the manager. We've probably got the best equipped guy at this level. We have a huge and strong and proud history but that's all it is. History.

Bruce needs time to develop the side for next season. The additions in this window are good ones and will improve us but patience is needed here from us. I know its not popular but overnight solutions don't exist.

I think we've got to realise where we are because the weight of expectation for this club is clearly draining on the manager and players. This club is sinking in quicksand and the more we pile pressure on it by continually swapping managers and staff the lower we'll get. I swear that if we listened hard enough you could hear VP creaking under the weight of expectation! As Dave pointed out, we're slowly turning into Forest.

Our slide needs be arrested and surely somebody who achieved our goal as recent as last season is best equipped to do it?

We've clearly got an owner who cares for this club. Let's hope he is a patient man because its a critical time for this club that we all love.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #2067 on: February 01, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
I think its no time to put pressure on the manager. We've probably got the best equipped guy at this level. We have a huge and strong and proud history but that's all it is. History.

Bruce needs time to develop the side for next season. The additions in this window are good ones and will improve us but patience is needed here from us. I know its not popular but overnight solutions don't exist.

I think we've got to realise where we are because the weight of expectation for this club is clearly draining on the manager and players. This club is sinking in quicksand and the more we pile pressure on it by continually swapping managers and staff the lower we'll get. I swear that if we listened hard enough you could hear VP creaking under the weight of expectation! As Dave pointed out, we're slowly turning into Forest.

Our slide needs be arrested and surely somebody who achieved our goal as recent as last season is best equipped to do it?

We've clearly got an owner who cares for this club. Let's hope he is a patient man because its a critical time for this club that we all love.
It certainly didn't look like he's well equipped. He looked clueless. He made no changes to the play or formation and waiting till the game was over before making a substitution. Charlatan

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #2068 on: February 01, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »
Having withdrawn his MidfieldDynamo Two in a previous farce, perhaps he though he should give them time....and then lost track of time himself. Those subs at 75mins plus, after we were well-and-truly out of the game, was strange and always destined to be ineffectual IMO.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2069 on: February 01, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »
Nobody ever got a job by not believing they were the best candidate, if you want to use that analogy.

Yes they do. People are surprised to get jobs they didn't think they would get all the time. And to counter your first analogy, lots of people go to football matches thinking their team will lose. Have you ever seen us play Man Utd in the last 20 years?

As I say, optimism is one thing, arrogance is another.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal