collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396590 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1935 on: January 23, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
People who ask for Bruce to be sacked are idiots

Needs a bit of time and at least 2 windows

Why didn't RDM need a bit of time and least 2 windows, that's the point.

Because, after being given a lot of money to spend in the summer, he gave no indication that he knew what the problems were let alone how to fix them. Bruce, at the very least, gives the impression that he has a plan. He also communicates and is demonstrably a leader, again qualities that RDM never showed.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1936 on: January 23, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »

Because he'd demonstrably failed at every single aspect of management.

Transfer policy - rubbish
Team selection and tactics - rubbish
Results - rubbish

Did you see the Preston game, his last before he was sacked?  It made Lambert's emergency efforts against Bradford look like a masterclass of tactical thinking and planning.  McCormack was playing as a one man midfielder, while all of the other attacking players ran around randomly in the vague direction of Preston's goal, like 5 year olds chasing a balloon.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #1937 on: January 23, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
Its very simple. RDM was sacked because after a massive outlay on players he wanted we were nowhere near getting promotion and there were no real positive signs. At that point, swapping managers COULD have resulted in a massive change in fortunes and secured playoffs/promotion.
  The fact that a second, more experienced manager who came top of an extensive selection process and has multiple promotions on his CV isnt doing massively better, points to problems with the squad make up (be that personnel, fitness, balance). Swapping managers before next season would be lunacy.

And the hypothetical argument of us going down is a waste of time and effort. It will not happen in a million years

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1938 on: January 23, 2017, 04:52:35 PM »
I'd still give him the summer and into next season. If we was to bring a new manager in during the close season, then you start all over again, with that man wanting his own players in and certain players out. It's time for the club to settle down and have an aim. More upheaval is the last thing we want.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1939 on: January 23, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »

Because he'd demonstrably failed at every single aspect of management.

Transfer policy - rubbish
Team selection and tactics - rubbish
Results - rubbish

Did you see the Preston game, his last before he was sacked?  It made Lambert's emergency efforts against Bradford look like a masterclass of tactical thinking and planning.  McCormack was playing as a one man midfielder, while all of the other attacking players ran around randomly in the vague direction of Preston's goal, like 5 year olds chasing a balloon.

As I've said, I'm not trying to defend RDM in any way, I had supported him as much as possible unti lthat game but it was hard to see how he could continue after that and I think Xia saw that as well as we did.  I just want to see something to make me think Bruce is actually making a difference before we commit to him as the long term solution.  We've played badly far more often than we've played well in the last couple of months and now he has a couple of his own players that needs to change (and a couple more coming in before the next match), and not just for 60 minutes in a game where we throw away a 2 goal lead.  A run of 4-5 decent performances together between now and the summer will be enough but he really does need to show that's there's more to come than we've seen so far, even if he has got a few decent results.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1940 on: January 23, 2017, 05:10:53 PM »
Its very simple. RDM was sacked because after a massive outlay on players he wanted we were nowhere near getting promotion and there were no real positive signs. At that point, swapping managers COULD have resulted in a massive change in fortunes and secured playoffs/promotion.
  The fact that a second, more experienced manager who came top of an extensive selection process and has multiple promotions on his CV isnt doing massively better, points to problems with the squad make up (be that personnel, fitness, balance). Swapping managers before next season would be lunacy.

And the hypothetical argument of us going down is a waste of time and effort. It will not happen in a million years

The bold bit is the logical fallacy that I'm worried about.  RDM was shit and it was entirely his own fault, Bruce is a little better but still shit and it's still RDM's fault.  This is the same argument as last season and in the end everyone wanted Garde out anyway even though he got fucked over in the window.  Bruce is being backed in the window and he has to show that it's the right call by showing some improvement or he's just as bad as the rest.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1941 on: January 23, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »

The bold bit is the logical fallacy that I'm worried about.  RDM was shit and it was entirely his own fault, Bruce is a little better but still shit and it's still RDM's fault.  This is the same argument as last season and in the end everyone wanted Garde out anyway even though he got fucked over in the window.  Bruce is being backed in the window and he has to show that it's the right call by showing some improvement or he's just as bad as the rest.

Of course he has to show improvement so until then, how about letting the guy get on with it?

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #1942 on: January 23, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »
I'd still give him the summer and into next season. If we was to bring a new manager in during the close season, then you start all over again, with that man wanting his own players in and certain players out. It's time for the club to settle down and have an aim. More upheaval is the last thing we want.

the more I think of it the more the Villa reminds me of how the NHS is being run by this government,

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1943 on: January 23, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »
What difference does it make if I say I don't think "he needs at least 2 windows" is the right idea though?

I'm saying judge him on what he actually does it's the people already talking about giving him the summer window that aren't doing that.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1944 on: January 23, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
What difference does it make if I say I don't think "he needs at least 2 windows" is the right idea though?

I'm saying judge him on what he actually does it's the people already talking about giving him the summer window that aren't doing that.

Because like I've already said, some people, me included want some continuity. I don't see a problem with that. It also may be because he's got teams up before and they feel confident given time, he can do it again with us. It makes sense to me.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1945 on: January 23, 2017, 06:28:42 PM »
I'm happy with Steve Bruce at the moment. But if we did do the silly thing and get rid of him who the hell  would we appoint next ?

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #1946 on: January 23, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
I'm happy with Steve Bruce at the moment. But if we did do the silly thing and get rid of him who the hell  would we appoint next ?

It's not something we need to contemplate for a good while yet.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1947 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »
If we nose dive and finish just outside the relegation zone I'd have second thoughts.  But if we have a decent second half of the season, finish top half then I'd definitely give him another season.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1948 on: January 23, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »

Exactly Accrington Stanley

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1949 on: January 23, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »
I don't think anyone should be asking for his head however people are concerned that we have accumulated 11 points from last 9 games. That's not good by any measure.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal