collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396628 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1920 on: January 23, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
How about if the run of 3 defeats and 2 draws from the last 5  carries on for another 5-6 games and we're firmly bottom half with a third of the season to go?  Do you still stick with him despite him having half a season and nothing much having changed?  What I'm getting at is what would it take for people to change their minds? There were no thoughts of continuity when we sacked RDM or when we sacked Garde and let a fucking moron waste the rest of the season forcing us to watch a bunch of twats take us down without a care in the world?  Continuity works when you've got the club working towards a goal and you're looking for people to continue that/progress it.  Are we now saying that the way Bruce plays is something we want to embed in the club long term and therefore he gets far more patience than most managers would to do that?  Or is it that people are just convinced that he'll get another promotion and they don't care how long it takes or how it happens?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1921 on: January 23, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
the answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1922 on: January 23, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »
People are just saying that we need a bit of continuity. If we were to sack Bruce for not getting us up, we'd be on our 4th manager since Lambert left (5 if you include Eric Black). Now we have a manager who has a good record of getting teams up, that's as good as reason as any for me to stick with it and see where it takes us.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #1923 on: January 23, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
How about if the run of 3 defeats and 2 draws from the last 5  carries on for another 5-6 games and we're firmly bottom half with a third of the season to go?  Do you still stick with him despite him having half a season and nothing much having changed?  What I'm getting at is what would it take for people to change their minds? There were no thoughts of continuity when we sacked RDM or when we sacked Garde and let a fucking moron waste the rest of the season forcing us to watch a bunch of twats take us down without a care in the world?  Continuity works when you've got the club working towards a goal and you're looking for people to continue that/progress it.  Are we now saying that the way Bruce plays is something we want to embed in the club long term and therefore he gets far more patience than most managers would to do that?  Or is it that people are just convinced that he'll get another promotion and they don't care how long it takes or how it happens?

Not at all, it's not the way he plays that I want embedded in the club long term, it's his discipline and his organisation.  Those are the things that have been lacking for years now.  It feels like Bruce is the first proper manager we've had for a very long time; after a string of chancers we've finally made an appointment that seems perfectly logical.  We've got a manager with the stature, the experience, the honesty and the balls to sort this mess out.  There are fundamental issues that will always hold us back until we eradicate them, and it would appear that he's recognised that and intends to do something about it.  That's why I'd give him more time than the others, because I trust him to get to grips with this, however long it takes; I haven't been able to say that about any of our managers for six years.  We can worry about his style of football later, but in the meantime I can put up with us muddling through if it means he's clearing the decks and laying the foundations for better times ahead, whether he's at the helm then or not.  Look around and see who else is available before you question whether a bad run should see him sacked this season; he's got a big job on his hands and I'd trust him to do it better than any Hasselbaink who might end up sniffing around.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #1924 on: January 23, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
People who ask for Bruce to be sacked are idiots

Needs a bit of time and at least 2 windows

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1925 on: January 23, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
is anyone seriously suggesting we sack him now? Madness.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #1926 on: January 23, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »
is anyone seriously suggesting we sack him now? Madness.

People tweet Dr Tony saying sack him

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1927 on: January 23, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
His style of play isn't great but look what he inherited.  A rag tag bunch of players who hadn't been managed properly.A club where discipline was none existent. Probably the most poorly run club over the last few years in the top two divisions.He basically inherited a pile of shite  and it takes time to put shite through the water treatment works before you can get rid of the stench and the smell. He needs time and for now we need him.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1928 on: January 23, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »

Why didn't RDM need a bit of time and least 2 windows, that's the point.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1929 on: January 23, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »

RDM presumably oversaw heavy spending in the transfer window and the way performances were going it looked like we were going to need to start worrying more about relegation than promotion.  With the same resources SB has clearly done infinitely better.  I guess that is why.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1930 on: January 23, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »

That's a fair enough question because he was let go of early but 1 win in 11 and some truly woeful performances towards the end of his reign didn't help his cause. We have at least picked up some points under Bruce although we have thrown in some poor displays as well. It just makes sense to see what he can do with some of his own buys.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #1931 on: January 23, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »
Now is not the time for a change. Can we not be the fickle fans that our enemies love to brand us. There are strong signs that SB is getting somewhere. We looked really good in the first half on Saturday. Yes the wheels came off but there was some real positives. Outing McCormack was a sign that the days of taking the piss out of our club are over for players. Even Gabby put a shift in ffs! We're being linked with some talented players who are probably the best we can hope to attract in our current predicament. We need to be patient and wait to see what SB can achieve with in his own words "the kind of opportunity  I've waited a long time for"

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1932 on: January 23, 2017, 04:39:34 PM »
but RDM got 12 games in total, what people are talking about is not even reviewing how Bruce has done until he's been in the job for at least 2 windows which means, in reality about 50 games.  I don't even disagree I just don't get why so many people who wanted Sherwood, Garde and RDM out after far fewer games are suggesting sticking with Bruce even if we have a bad run and don't come anywhere near to achieving the job he came in to do.  I don't think he'll go anywhere before the summer and I don't want him to for exactly the reason given above but I want to see him address some of the problems that he can't just buy a solution to.  The midfield has been a solid reason for our problems for a while but if Hourihane does come in I don't think that will exist any more and how we perform from then will be all on Bruce.  Let's see how he does after 9-10 games where he's been able to reshape his squad a little before guaranteeing him the summer regardless.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1933 on: January 23, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
Now is not the time for a change. Can we not be the fickle fans that our enemies love to brand us. There are strong signs that SB is getting somewhere.

Strong signs? Really? I can't see any strong signs at all.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1934 on: January 23, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »

That's a fair enough question because he was let go of early but 1 win in 11 and some truly woeful performances towards the end of his reign didn't help his cause. We have at least picked up some points under Bruce although we have thrown in some poor displays as well. It just makes sense to see what he can do with some of his own buys.

As above, that's exactly what I'm advocating, what I disagree with is the idea that he automatically gets the summer regardless.

Now is not the time for a change. Can we not be the fickle fans that our enemies love to brand us. There are strong signs that SB is getting somewhere. We looked really good in the first half on Saturday. Yes the wheels came off but there was some real positives. Outing McCormack was a sign that the days of taking the piss out of our club are over for players. Even Gabby put a shift in ffs! We're being linked with some talented players who are probably the best we can hope to attract in our current predicament. We need to be patient and wait to see what SB can achieve with in his own words "the kind of opportunity  I've waited a long time for"

I'm not calling for change though.  The bold bit is the key.  Most of us, at the time, were happy with the summer business, much the same as the summer before.  Most people (but not me to be fair) thought McCormack was a good signing but it turned out badly.  Signing players who have done well at other clubs is the easy bit.  Forming a team from the squad is what managers get paid to do and I have doubts about how he's done on that front so far.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal