collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396627 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1710 on: January 09, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »
Westwood and Gardner represent 50% of our available first team central midfield.

25% is a lad who has played 20 games at this level, talented as we believe him to be and the other 25% is a 32 year old stopper.

That's why they've played so much and that's why we're not quite firing.

You missed out Bacuna who looked great before his injury then never got a look in after. Bruce choose to go with Gardner and Westwood but judging from his comments post-Cardiff, he won't be in a rush to call them back. Nobody is denying we need more bodies in midfield but the original point was the 2 that played yesterday alongside Jedi aren't restricted to only playing in a defensive midfield.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1711 on: January 10, 2017, 01:43:11 AM »
We're 6th in the form table since Bruce arrived - results wise if not performance wise

We need to be about 3rd I'd imagine from here on in. Can't quite see it

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/09/the-championship-table-since-steve-bruce-was-appointed-aston-vil/

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1712 on: January 14, 2017, 10:15:33 PM »

Bruce on Aston Villa's promotion prospects after the derby defeat at Wolves

“When I arrived we were in a relegation fight because we were in the bottom three," he said. “I’m not concerned about that now.

“We’ve got to be a club of our stature and look at what we’re trying to achieve at the other end of the table.

“I never give up on (promotion). It’s a huge, big ask because we’ve drifted away in the last few weeks.

Too many of them are used to getting beat and unfortunately it’s a bad habit to have.

“We huffed and puffed and tried and worked hard enough but the actual lack of quality was not there.”

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1713 on: January 14, 2017, 10:32:06 PM »
Bruce made an initial impact but ultimately we were 10 points off the play offs when he took over and we're still ten points off today.

My patience is wearing thin due to his stubborn insistence of sticking with Gabby. Bruce said he didn't want to pay any attention to what had previously gone on with Gabby. Well maybe you fucking should have done Steve.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1714 on: January 14, 2017, 10:33:26 PM »

Bruce on Aston Villa's promotion prospects after the derby defeat at Wolves

“When I arrived we were in a relegation fight because we were in the bottom three," he said. “I’m not concerned about that now.

“We’ve got to be a club of our stature and look at what we’re trying to achieve at the other end of the table.

“I never give up on (promotion). It’s a huge, big ask because we’ve drifted away in the last few weeks.

Too many of them are used to getting beat and unfortunately it’s a bad habit to have.

“We huffed and puffed and tried and worked hard enough but the actual lack of quality was not there.”

huffed and puffed yes - one header on goal, no shots tells the full picture awful.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1715 on: January 14, 2017, 10:35:25 PM »
I'd love to hear Bruce's reasonings for constantly playing Gabby. I cannot for the life of me see what he has to offer the team. His pace has gone, he never did have a touch and he wouldn't worry defenders (even at this level) if he went out there carrying a flick knife. I would honestly rather see one of the young lads given a chance for longer than 10 minutes.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1716 on: January 14, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »
Needs to start getting performances out of this team fast.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1717 on: January 14, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »
I accept that he has not had a chance to reshape this squad however he is culpable of making some huge errors. He brought Gabby back in as cover for AFCON absentees when complete footballing muppets like me can see the man is long gone past he sell by date. He allowed the club to sell Gestede in a period when we were clearly going to be short of forwards. He dropped Gollini when it was clear that Bunn was incapable of operating at this level. He persists in keeping Grealish out of the team when the world knows that he is possibly the only creative player we have in our squad. He.....

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1718 on: January 14, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »
I accept that he has not had a chance to reshape this squad however he is culpable of making some huge errors. He brought Gabby back in as cover for AFCON absentees when complete footballing muppets like me can see the man is long gone past he sell by date. He allowed the club to sell Gestede in a period when we were clearly going to be short of forwards. He dropped Gollini when it was clear that Bunn was incapable of operating at this level. He persists in keeping Grealish out of the team when the world knows that he is possibly the only creative player we have in our squad. He.....

In fairness he's played Grealish a fair bit and he hasn't produced much.

Offline myf

« Reply #1719 on: January 14, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »
Needs to start getting performances out of this team fast.

Not going to happen as they can't perform as a team as they've shown after 6 months under 2 managers. It's points that we need fast. We need a completely new central midfield to improve performances and secure the points but probably too late now even for play offs.

Offline myf

« Reply #1720 on: January 14, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »

In fairness he's played Grealish a fair bit and he hasn't produced much.

Not sure Grealish us the answer. Won a few pens and free kicks but overrated for me

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #1721 on: January 14, 2017, 10:58:53 PM »
We haven't played well for two months. We've beat a few average teams but have been average or crap since the Brighton game. Blues have won once in 8 games but are above us which says everything about our performances.

Our style of play is dreadful aswell. Passing and movement is non existent and we barely create a chance in our away games.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1722 on: January 15, 2017, 12:44:10 AM »
Of the four defeats, I think we were a tad unlucky at Cardiff and should have got a point in the second half. Motherless, Wolves and Norwich are two stand out diabolical performances, while Leeds ended up fading into a poor one as well.

Reading away we played well, we're the better side, only one who carried a threat and deserved the last minute winner. Equally Brighton we should have really won, while QPR were possibly the poorest side I've seen in years.

The lack of energy in the way we press collectively is frustrating. I don't know why we've stepped off sides, but there isn't a single team on this league good enough to beat the press. Certainly not a poor Wolves or Cardiff.

The midfield is shambolic. No creativity, hopelessly imbalanced and never likely to carry a goal threat either.

Defensively we are OK as the stats bear out, but I'm sure Bruce doesn't need telling what that lump in the middle of his face is or how to look beyond it; it's the midfield stupid.

We've picked up £6million for Gestede, although the timing seems poor with Ayew and Kodjia away until February. As poor as he was, he was useful to disrupt opposition in the last 20 minutes.

People bemoan him picking Gabby and McCormack, who while not helping himself, certainly is hindered by our midfield. Who else is there? RHM is a shithouse, the other two including the best one, aren't here, so there's nobody else to pick.

He needs to read dress the fundamentals again re-pressing and it would help if the midfield had starting positions 10 yards higher up the park.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1723 on: January 15, 2017, 03:56:59 AM »
The problem is only 2 of the RDM signings have really worked out Kodija and Chester.
The rest have added to the flops that were allready here.
A huge clear out is still required.
Bacuna Hutton Richards McCormick Gabby Westwood.
Jury still out Adomah Elphick, I don't think they would be missed.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #1724 on: January 15, 2017, 04:02:34 AM »

I'll carry on for you, Aftab.

He....Plays Agbonlahor. This is enough for me to dislike his management style.

Still not a fan of Bruce. The football is dreadful.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal