collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 397313 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1695 on: January 08, 2017, 03:04:22 PM »
I don't expect you're reading this thread Steve, but if you've got any romantic notions about you and Gabby being in any way similar to Eddie Jones and and Dylsn Hartley, stop it.  It really, really isn't the same thing at all.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1696 on: January 08, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »
I'm intrigued to find out what we threw at Agbonlahor. A set of scales? A diet book?

A Mars bar. If you can throw it far enough, he'll burn off more calories chasing it than it contains. Baby steps and all that.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1697 on: January 08, 2017, 04:09:51 PM »
I don't expect you're reading this thread Steve, but if you've got any romantic notions about you and Gabby being in any way similar to Eddie Jones and and Dylsn Hartley, stop it.  It really, really isn't the same thing at all.

In the main because Hartley's ability is unquestionable, it's his ability to control his temper that's a problem.  Gabby on the other hand has a bad attitude and doesn't have tge natural talent to counter it.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1698 on: January 08, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »
While I was against Gabby coming back into the fold...he's played alright last two games.

Just dosen't look much of a goal threat though which is a big problem given he's playing as central striker rather than out wide.

Offline achilles

« Reply #1699 on: January 08, 2017, 06:29:57 PM »
While I was against Gabby coming back into the fold...he's played alright last two games.

Just dosen't look much of a goal threat though which is a big problem given he's playing as central striker rather than out wide.

Bit of a problem for a centre forward?

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #1700 on: January 08, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »

WHEN HAS HE EVER LOOKED MUCH OF A GOAL THREAT OVER THE LAST 5 SEASONS.....UNLESS THE THREAT WAS FALLING ON THE GOAL!!!!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1701 on: January 08, 2017, 06:42:38 PM »
What are you shouting?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1702 on: January 08, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
Play Tish moving forward please Steve.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1703 on: January 08, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »
I respect Bruce (and Gabby) for the effort. But I hope he has a plan B.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1704 on: January 08, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »
I seen another thing Gabby can't do today and that is jump. He was once upon a time good at winning a battle in the air against central defenders. Today, his body couldn't get off the ground. He shows effort like he should. It isn't enough though.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1705 on: January 08, 2017, 10:54:13 PM »

None of our strikers have. That's the biggest problem facing Bruce. He's sorted out the defence, after today it looks like he knows what he wants with the midfield, certainly no more Westwood and Gardner - at least as starters. The real challenge is Bruce still hasn't discovered an attacking plan or at least one that works. It's either a piece of individual genius out of no where or a set piece.

The clock is ticking, his football may be at best organised, at worst bloody ugly but you get the feeling he's more than aware of it. That interview once again encourages me that yes, he talks a good game but he actually does know what he's doing. I may be clutching at straws but I get the feeling the old dog might just pull it off.

Saving us from humiliation today may just turn out to be the corner in our season. As somebody else mentioned on here tonight, you need to fight to get anything in the Championship and they're right. If we can take the same dedication and commitment into the rest of the season, add to it an attacking plan, it may not be the wasted season some seem to prepared to settle for.

When he arrived we had a crap defence, crap midfield and 10,000 strikers. Now the defence seems organised, the midfield industrious, we just need him to get the attack functioning and before you shout "Gabby!", if we create the service even Gabby/Ayew/McCorrmack/Kodjia will score. A few from the rest of the team wouldn't go amiss either but first off - a plan.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1706 on: January 09, 2017, 01:40:53 AM »

None of our strikers have. That's the biggest problem facing Bruce. He's sorted out the defence, after today it looks like he knows what he wants with the midfield, certainly no more Westwood and Gardner - at least as starters. The real challenge is Bruce still hasn't discovered an attacking plan or at least one that works. It's either a piece of individual genius out of no where or a set piece.

The clock is ticking, his football may be at best organised, at worst bloody ugly but you get the feeling he's more than aware of it. That interview once again encourages me that yes, he talks a good game but he actually does know what he's doing. I may be clutching at straws but I get the feeling the old dog might just pull it off.

Saving us from humiliation today may just turn out to be the corner in our season. As somebody else mentioned on here tonight, you need to fight to get anything in the Championship and they're right. If we can take the same dedication and commitment into the rest of the season, add to it an attacking plan, it may not be the wasted season some seem to prepared to settle for.

When he arrived we had a crap defence, crap midfield and 10,000 strikers. Now the defence seems organised, the midfield industrious, we just need him to get the attack functioning and before you shout "Gabby!", if we create the service even Gabby/Ayew/McCorrmack/Kodjia will score. A few from the rest of the team wouldn't go amiss either but first off - a plan.

I'm not picking faults (but I know some people will think I am) but I really don't think that organising a back 4 and 4 defensive midfielders in front of them can be our plan going forward.  For today it sort of made sense but having that attitude to away games in the league won't get us enough points to make the play offs.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1707 on: January 09, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »
I think the midfield yesterday have more than enough flexibility to function going forward in the Championship and get the results needed. Adding to the squad can only be a good thing but we'll soon be wondering if we haven't already, why it took so long to drop Westwood and Gardner and how many points it may have cost us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1708 on: January 09, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »
Westwood and Gardner represent 50% of our available first team central midfield.

25% is a lad who has played 20 games at this level, talented as we believe him to be and the other 25% is a 32 year old stopper.

That's why they've played so much and that's why we're not quite firing.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1709 on: January 09, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
Spot on Ads.  Tshibola being allowed to come in out of the cold must not be allowed to detract from our historic midfield inadequacies. We need at least another two young, direct running midfield players with good engines.

On an optimistic note perhaps Elphick will lose some of his demons with a good, big, strong, high catching, long kicking goalkeeper behind him.  Goalies spook Mad Tom.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal