collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 397125 times)

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #900 on: October 23, 2016, 09:48:42 PM »
I think we have to reserve judgement on how Bruce will perform long term until we know how the new owner is going to approach things as/when we get back up. Bruce seemed impressed by the ambition.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #901 on: October 23, 2016, 09:53:08 PM »
It'll take a couple of seasons to sort the mess of the last 5 years. Steve Bruce will sort this out in good time. January will be interesting - expect at least 2 combative midfielders and a dominant Centre back. I trust Steve to sort this out. For now just beat Blose next Sunday!!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #902 on: October 23, 2016, 10:39:22 PM »
We'd won 3 league games in 14 months, to win 2 in a week is nothing short of a miracle.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #903 on: October 23, 2016, 10:47:38 PM »
I just don't know how to handle this information. What are these away wins, three points, back to back wins and clean sheets of which people speak.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #904 on: October 23, 2016, 10:52:22 PM »
It wouldn't shock me if he went for someone like Huddlestone.

I've never rated him a huge amount but he can sit infront of the back 4 and control things when he feels like it so would be a vast upgrade on Westwood.

Hull are getting relegated so he'd probably fancy the move aswell as he's from the Midlands I think.

just google Steve Bruce signings in the last 5 years and you will see everything you need to know about the sort of players to expect come January,
still he's got 4 promotions on the back of them
He's never managed Aston Villa before and he's never had the kind of financial clout Dr Tony can give him.

He had enough clout to spend £12m on Connor Wickham.
To counter that he also signed Bent for 10m who was a fantastic signing until we nicked him of course.

That doesn't really counter the point - it backs up the point that he's had ample financial clout in the past.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #905 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55:36 PM »
I think his big money signings are few and far between

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #906 on: October 24, 2016, 10:11:54 PM »
Couldn't see this anywhere, apologies if I missed it:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37752648

Pierluigi Gollini: Steve Bruce repairing Aston Villa confidence, says goalkeeper

Aston Villa goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini says new boss Steve Bruce has instilled more confidence in the Championship club's squad.

After replacing Roberto di Matteo, former Birmingham City boss Bruce, 55, has steered Villa to back-to-back league wins for the first time in nearly 18 months.

"It's very pleasing," Gollini, 21, told BBC WM 95.6.

"The guys are pushing themselves very hard - they're doing a fantastic job."

Bruce, who left Hull City in the summer after guiding them to promotion back to the Premier League, is unbeaten after three games in charge of Villa.

A 1-1 draw with Wolves was followed by a 2-1 win at Reading and Saturday's 1-0 home victory against Fulham.

That run has taken Villa to within six points of the play-off places, with Bruce adamant promotion is a realistic target this season.

"Everyone knows he's a man with a lot of experience," Gollini said. "He's giving us the confidence we were missing and it's been really good so far - we just have to keep it going."

Villa face Bruce's former club Birmingham at St Andrew's on Sunday

It's been curious for me feeling very different so quickly under Bruce. Having always liked the way he came across, given the size of the job I was glad we got him in comparison to some we were linked with (though would also have been more excited by a more progressive empire/style builder, which would of course have been riskier).

I was keeping an eye on the score on Saturday, with this odd belief we could/might well win.

I like him, I like that he shows he wants to be here, and that this is his big chance. It's like wanting players that step up to us, and feel pride. He brings composure, and a solidity we have lacked for so long. It's great to read above what I feel intuitively he brings.

Competence, confidence, connection. I felt disconnected from Di Matteo though was very happy on paper with the last coaching appointments.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #907 on: October 24, 2016, 10:12:26 PM »
I've said it a few times but if you study his record he does well on a relative shoestring and then things start to fall apart when he starts to spend big and advance teams.

At SHA they really didn't spend that much when they first came up yet he kept them well away from any relegation trouble. It all then fell apart when he signed likes of Heskey, Gronkjaer, Melchiot for decent money.

Wigan he did fine little budget but signed some good players.

At Sunderland he was a little unlucky....lost Bent Gyan and Welbeck within 6 months and striker recruitment wasn't good enough although yes 12m for Wickham then and now looks insane.

Hull is the most recent example. Got them up, kept them up and then they went down after spending a lot on likes of Hernandez, Dawson and Robertson.

Let's worry about that when it comes to it however. If he can get us up then he'll be near the top of my favourite Villa managers.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #908 on: October 24, 2016, 10:24:04 PM »
I keep seeing that Wickham cost £12 million but the reported fee was £8 million with various add ons and as Sunderland didn't win anything and he didn't bother the scoring charts I doubt it came to £12 million.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #909 on: October 24, 2016, 10:24:46 PM »
Wasn't Melchiot one of their best players for a season or two?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #910 on: October 24, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »
Will Bruce even have the last word on transfer targets at Villa?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #911 on: October 24, 2016, 10:42:17 PM »
He spent approx £25m and Hull stayed up, he spent approx £25m again the following season and they went down. Doesn't prove anything.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #912 on: October 24, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
Will Bruce even have the last word on transfer targets at Villa?

Why wouldn't he?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #913 on: October 24, 2016, 10:47:58 PM »
As for Wickham it was £8m plus add ons. They took an expensive punt on a highly rated 18 year old. Just like most top flights clubs do at some point. They flogged him for £7m so not the worst transfer in history, albeit one i'm glad we never made.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #914 on: October 24, 2016, 10:50:14 PM »
I see Mike Dean is the ref on Sunday....stepping down from 'Premiership duty'.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal