collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396938 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #885 on: October 23, 2016, 05:51:05 PM »
I've seen a lot worse games in the PL than some of those at VP this season

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #886 on: October 23, 2016, 05:55:47 PM »
I also agree with Diablo.

Lose next week and draw at home to Blackburn the week after and he'll start getting compared to RDM or Remi Garde.

For me, Bruce is the safe bet.  There were some great up and coming managers linked to the job who, in different circumstances would have been exciting prospects.

What I really like is that Bruce seems genuinely happy and privileged to be here, as you would expect most managers to be.  I like the fact that he appears to be asking for a longer contract than he has been offered but has joined, regardless of the length of contract.  He wants to be here and seems hungry to succeed.

It is pointless comparing Bruce to any other manager, past or present and personally, he seems nothing like Saunders in any case.

Offline nigel

« Reply #887 on: October 23, 2016, 06:36:09 PM »
I also agree with Diablo.

Lose next week and draw at home to Blackburn the week after and he'll start getting compared to RDM or Remi Garde.

For me, Bruce is the safe bet.  There were some great up and coming managers linked to the job who, in different circumstances would have been exciting prospects.

What I really like is that Bruce seems genuinely happy and privileged to be here, as you would expect most managers to be.  I like the fact that he appears to be asking for a longer contract than he has been offered but has joined, regardless of the length of contract.  He wants to be here and seems hungry to succeed.

It is pointless comparing Bruce to any other manager, past or present and personally, he seems nothing like Saunders in any case.

"It really is a privilege to manage this club. I’ve been waiting a long time in management to get something like this."
Steve Bruce

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #888 on: October 23, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »
The only manager I could compare Steve Bruce to right now is Steve Bruce. He seems like what we need at the current moment, and we'll see what it turns into. He has my full backing.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #889 on: October 23, 2016, 07:02:37 PM »
It wouldn't shock me if he went for someone like Huddlestone.

I've never rated him a huge amount but he can sit infront of the back 4 and control things when he feels like it so would be a vast upgrade on Westwood.

Hull are getting relegated so he'd probably fancy the move aswell as he's from the Midlands I think.

just google Steve Bruce signings in the last 5 years and you will see everything you need to know about the sort of players to expect come January,
still he's got 4 promotions on the back of them
He's never managed Aston Villa before and he's never had the kind of financial clout Dr Tony can give him. As others have said it's a career defining job for him. Let's get right behind him and see where it takes us.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #890 on: October 23, 2016, 07:14:08 PM »

I've never rated him a huge amount but he can sit infront of the back 4 and control things when he feels like it so would be a vast upgrade on Westwood.

Hull are getting relegated so he'd probably fancy the move aswell as he's from the Midlands I think.

just google Steve Bruce signings in the last 5 years and you will see everything you need to know about the sort of players to expect come January,
He's never managed Aston Villa before and he's never had the kind of financial clout Dr Tony can give him.

He had enough clout to spend £12m on Connor Wickham.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #891 on: October 23, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »
We are three games into the Bruce era.  Either way it is much to soon to judge or speculate as to how good a  manager he will become or not.

As for a comparison with the Ron Saunders era - obviously the writer is much younger than me.  We will never reach that level not only in terms of success, but as a football club fully bonded, the type of football we played and  the enjoyment it brought. 

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #892 on: October 23, 2016, 07:35:32 PM »
The Saunders comparison is just silly and unfair. Bruce needs a chance to be his own man and create his own legacy.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #893 on: October 23, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »
The Saunders comparison is just silly and unfair. Bruce needs a chance to be his own man and create his own legacy.

Exactly Accrington Stanley

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #894 on: October 23, 2016, 07:44:17 PM »

He's never managed Aston Villa before and he's never had the kind of financial clout Dr Tony can give him.

He had enough clout to spend £12m on Connor Wickham.
To counter that he also signed Bent for 10m who was a fantastic signing until we nicked him of course.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #895 on: October 23, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »

There will only be ONE Ron Saunders. Just as there will only be one Steve Bruce. No need for comparisons except they have both taken over in the second division. Time will tell if he can emulate Ron and take us up. At the moment I am just enjoying winning matches again and watching us play as a team.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #896 on: October 23, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »

Sack him now in that case. How long until you begrudgingly give him any credit John?

Does Google also mention the difference between trying to persuade players to join Hull City or Aston Villa, geographically, historically etc?

It'll take some time to be fair

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #897 on: October 23, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »
As one of the people who was less enthusiastic about appointing Bruce I can honestly say that what he's done so far is good but isn't unexpected.  We're battling more and that has earned us some wins, we knew he could bring that and I suspected he'd take a squad that was much better than it was showing and get some results.

The end of the January window will be the point where I start to judge him because my concerns are with how he sets us up for the next 2-3 seasons not how he uses someone else's squad in this one.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #898 on: October 23, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »
Frankly 2-3 years down the line is a long way away. I think it's also a bit harsh to state Bruce is basically what he should be doing. To get Villa organised and winning within a week and a half is a pretty big achievement given the state we've been in.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #899 on: October 23, 2016, 09:46:05 PM »
Frankly 2-3 years down the line is a long way away. I think it's also a bit harsh to state Bruce is basically what he should be doing. To get Villa organised and winning within a week and a half is a pretty big achievement given the state we've been in.

That's not what I said though, I said I knew he could do this bit (in fact I said I thought he could get us promotion and that it should be what he's judged on, that's not something I'd say if 2 wins a draw in 3 games was going to be a surprise).  I'm very happy that he's delivering results already and I'm optimistic that he'll deliver enough in the next 2 months that we'll go into January looking at how to consolidate a play off place and push the automatic places rather than looking for ways to catch up with the top 6.  After all we employed him to do this bit because he's done it well before.

I was also clear all along that my concerns were longer term, yes it's a long way but we should at least be looking at the map and making sure we're going the right direction.  That the bit that his CV suggests he struggles with.  The signings in January and how he integrates them will be a big indicator.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal