collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396695 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #525 on: October 13, 2016, 09:17:34 PM »
I used to have my hair cut at the same barbers as Steve Bruce in Knowle. I know this doesn't help in any way but I thought I would mention it.

I am shocked. I thought they came to you?

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #526 on: October 13, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »
Observations from the press conference:

1. Priority was getting championship experience during the summer transfer window.  A bit disappointing, as discussed at the time, if you have a squad of championship players then the chances are you'll stay in the championship.

Im confused ???? How on earth does anyone ever get promoted to the Premier League?

Apologies, BUYING championship player...

Didn't we buy three players from the Championship over the summer, compared with five from the Premier League?

I'm struggling to remember who the three were but both Elphick and Jedinak both struggled to get in the team, even when fit, once in the PL.  So they're arguably closer to championship players than Premier League.  Ahh Chester is also in that bracket.  It's not a completely flawed policy but quality and potential should be the main barometers in my opinion.

McCormack, Kodjia and Tshibola were signed from the Championship. Adomah, de Laet, Elphick, Chester and Jedinak were signed from the Premier League.

I cannot tell if you're disagreeing with my point or listing the players I'd missed.  Even so whilst technically premier league players de Leat and Adomah have played more Championship football than premier league in their careers (I'd guess).  Hopefully they'll come good.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #527 on: October 13, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »
The interview on the OS worries me a little.  As I suspected he makes lots of references to things like spirit, passion, hard work, determination but mentions nothing about technique or skill beyond 'fans like skillful players but they also like teams that work hard'.  It's all very old fashioned we'll win because we have better players and they put a shift in and I hope that isn't a window into how he'll approach training.  The biggest thing missing in the squad is confidence in technique.  Too many times players take an extra half second to set themselves or take an extra touch or shift it to their stronger foot, all of those things can be remedied in training and fixing them makes the game simple.  I want a team where everyone can kill a ball dead with their first touch 99 times out of a hundred and where every player has the confidence to take a shot if they have half a yard.

I want Bruce to do well now he's here but I really hope he realises that at a big club just working hard isn't enough.

For the last five years we've had but a few players who's game was based on hardwork. We have had many more high-earning underperformers. Andi worked hard early on, Westwood works hard but often for nought, Vlaar worked hard, Milner defined hard work in his time with us..

As for the big club bit.. if there is any manager out of our last crop that truly understands the hierarchy of British footballing power houses I think it's Bruce. Remi, Lambert, Sherwood, McLeish.. not a fucking clue.

Watch the facebook link, he says possibly my biggest club (as a manager) there's no fucking possibly about it.

I'm not saying working hard isn't important, I just don't like the very British idea that putting in a bit more effort is all it takes.
He said arguably

Same difference, I couldn't remember the exact phrase he used but it's not screaming out someone who knows where we fit in the hierarchy.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #528 on: October 13, 2016, 09:23:15 PM »
Shit, I'm agreeing with Risso ;) .

Even when he was over there, he always seemed to come across as a decent person.

Maybe not the most exciting of names to drop into the hotseat, but sod names. He's a solid, capable manager at this level who should at least be able to manage the first 2 tricks of stopping the downward drift and get us moving in the right direction. Such is the way with the Villa, that if he can get us moving upwards, momentum will probably see us up by the end of next year, unless he can manage the play-offs this year. His own history would suggest that would then give Wyness and Xia a decision to make as to whether to give him another shot at the PL, but that's a long way off right now.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #529 on: October 13, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
Im confused ???? How on earth does anyone ever get promoted to the Premier League?
Either by finishing in top two positions or 3 to 6 and winning the play offs. ...Ok I'll get my coat!

Offline olaftab

« Reply #530 on: October 13, 2016, 09:28:25 PM »
A good appointment. He stands as good a chance as anyone.
I think he stands a better chance than me:))

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #531 on: October 13, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »
Observations from the press conference:

1. Priority was getting championship experience during the summer transfer window.  A bit disappointing, as discussed at the time, if you have a squad of championship players then the chances are you'll stay in the championship.

Apologies, BUYING championship player...

Didn't we buy three players from the Championship over the summer, compared with five from the Premier League?

I'm struggling to remember who the three were but both Elphick and Jedinak both struggled to get in the team, even when fit, once in the PL.  So they're arguably closer to championship players than Premier League.  Ahh Chester is also in that bracket.  It's not a completely flawed policy but quality and potential should be the main barometers in my opinion.

McCormack, Kodjia and Tshibola were signed from the Championship. Adomah, de Laet, Elphick, Chester and Jedinak were signed from the Premier League.

I cannot tell if you're disagreeing with my point or listing the players I'd missed. 

Neither really. Just an observation that the oft-repeated "we bought Championship players" isn't really true.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #532 on: October 13, 2016, 09:37:53 PM »
I'm relatively happy with this. Considering our current win rate we are potentially the worst club results-wise in the football league. You could argue anything would be better but really we've tried that and it wasn't. At least we've got a fighting chance. If true and RDM didn't discuss losing until Monday no wonder there was no urgency on the pitch - texts will be flying from our lot and I hope to God Westwood thinks he's going to get the mother of all 4 year overdue bo:/;;ings and stop pointing and start doing. I'll gloss over the acrimonious split from one or two clubs ;-)

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #533 on: October 13, 2016, 10:23:46 PM »
Howay gadgie man !!

You're the closest Villa Manager to my birthplace and i wish you all the luck in the world.

35 League games left. An average of 2 points a game would be great.

Howay man !!

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #534 on: October 13, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »
Welcome Steve The Bruce. If you get us promoted feel free to claim your Brucey bonus.

Offline Durham58

« Reply #535 on: October 13, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »
I'm delighted with this appointment, and he came over really well in the press conference.

At last we've got a proper football manager at the club.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #536 on: October 13, 2016, 11:12:01 PM »
The interview on the OS worries me a little.  As I suspected he makes lots of references to things like spirit, passion, hard work, determination but mentions nothing about technique or skill beyond 'fans like skillful players but they also like teams that work hard'.  It's all very old fashioned we'll win because we have better players and they put a shift in and I hope that isn't a window into how he'll approach training.  The biggest thing missing in the squad is confidence in technique.  Too many times players take an extra half second to set themselves or take an extra touch or shift it to their stronger foot, all of those things can be remedied in training and fixing them makes the game simple.  I want a team where everyone can kill a ball dead with their first touch 99 times out of a hundred and where every player has the confidence to take a shot if they have half a yard.

I want Bruce to do well now he's here but I really hope he realises that at a big club just working hard isn't enough.
Spirt hard work  determination and passion are the key ingredients for getting out of the Championship. Make no mistake that's his brief for now.

It was Dr Tony remit too and also this attitude and base  saw Leicester win the league. Iceland beat England . Wales get to the semis.  Athletico madrid compete in la liga. And northern Ireland reach the euros

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #537 on: October 13, 2016, 11:17:35 PM »
Brum Mail

Aston Villa: The state of play with Steve Bruce's claret contract

The deal wasn't announced when the appointment was revealed...

22:52, 13 Oct 2016
    Updated 22:53, 13 Oct 2016
    By Mat Kendrick

Steve Bruce is on a rolling contract at Aston Villa.

Bruce and chief executive Keith Wyness confirmed the type of deal at the manager’s official unveiling today.

It is a different agreement to previous Villa bosses, who have tended to have a fixed term contract.

A rolling contract continues until someone decides to end it rather than until a particular date.

Bruce’s predecessor Roberto Di Matteo, for example, was on a two-year contract, but was sacked just 123 days into it.

Asked about the length of his deal, Bruce replied: “We’re not announcing that at the moment because it is a little bit unclear. It didn’t make any difference (to my decision to join).”

Pressed later in the press conference about whether it was a rolling contract, the 55-year-old Geordie added: “Yes, it’s no problem.”

Wyness suggested the rolling contract made sense for all parties.

“It’s a rolling contract so there’s no confusion,” said the CEO, who previously worked for Aberdeen and Everton.

“In essence every contract is a rolling contract.

“I’m not going to say the exact terms but it’s a rolling contract going forward.

“It’s something I did back at Aberdeen so that’s a long time ago. Everton was more fixed term, but rolling contracts are the right way to go.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #538 on: October 13, 2016, 11:31:38 PM »
That sounds very much like a 'promotion or ta-ta' contract. The question is, promotion in which season, this or next?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #539 on: October 13, 2016, 11:33:36 PM »
Steve Bruce's Claret Contract?! Has he joined Villa or Burnley?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal