collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396735 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #510 on: October 13, 2016, 08:41:26 PM »
The interview on the OS worries me a little.  As I suspected he makes lots of references to things like spirit, passion, hard work, determination but mentions nothing about technique or skill beyond 'fans like skillful players but they also like teams that work hard'.  It's all very old fashioned we'll win because we have better players and they put a shift in and I hope that isn't a window into how he'll approach training.  The biggest thing missing in the squad is confidence in technique.  Too many times players take an extra half second to set themselves or take an extra touch or shift it to their stronger foot, all of those things can be remedied in training and fixing them makes the game simple.  I want a team where everyone can kill a ball dead with their first touch 99 times out of a hundred and where every player has the confidence to take a shot if they have half a yard.

I want Bruce to do well now he's here but I really hope he realises that at a big club just working hard isn't enough.
Spirt hard work  determination and passion are the key ingredients for getting out of the Championship. Make no mistake that's his brief for now.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #511 on: October 13, 2016, 08:46:03 PM »
Observations from the press conference:

1. Priority was getting championship experience during the summer transfer window.  A bit disappointing, as discussed at the time, if you have a squad of championship players then the chances are you'll stay in the championship.

Im confused ???? How on earth does anyone ever get promoted to the Premier League?

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #512 on: October 13, 2016, 08:48:16 PM »
The interview on the OS worries me a little.  As I suspected he makes lots of references to things like spirit, passion, hard work, determination but mentions nothing about technique or skill beyond 'fans like skillful players but they also like teams that work hard'.  It's all very old fashioned we'll win because we have better players and they put a shift in and I hope that isn't a window into how he'll approach training.  The biggest thing missing in the squad is confidence in technique.  Too many times players take an extra half second to set themselves or take an extra touch or shift it to their stronger foot, all of those things can be remedied in training and fixing them makes the game simple.  I want a team where everyone can kill a ball dead with their first touch 99 times out of a hundred and where every player has the confidence to take a shot if they have half a yard.

I want Bruce to do well now he's here but I really hope he realises that at a big club just working hard isn't enough.

For the last five years we've had but a few players who's game was based on hardwork. We have had many more high-earning underperformers. Andi worked hard early on, Westwood works hard but often for nought, Vlaar worked hard, Milner defined hard work in his time with us..

As for the big club bit.. if there is any manager out of our last crop that truly understands the hierarchy of British footballing power houses I think it's Bruce. Remi, Lambert, Sherwood, McLeish.. not a fucking clue.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #513 on: October 13, 2016, 08:51:41 PM »

1. Priority was getting championship experience during the summer transfer window.  A bit disappointing, as discussed at the time, if you have a squad of championship players then the chances are you'll stay in the championship.

Im confused ???? How on earth does anyone ever get promoted to the Premier League?

Apologies, BUYING championship player...

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #514 on: October 13, 2016, 08:55:39 PM »
You can watch the interview on the Villa Facebook page. Interview
Not being a facebooker, thanks for that . I really enjoyed listening to him. I usually become quite loyal to new managers quite quickly but this seems a bit different in a positive way . He seems to have enthusiasm of sherwood but  without sounding cocky. He know the division like RDM,and is aware of many of the players. He's been both sides of the rivalry like mcleish but managed at a much higher level in between . Played for a successful team like Lambert, but was probably more influential for longer and played under a better boss. Has a much stronger touchline presence and definitely hair drier treatment in dressing room than Garde.
Based on all of those qualities being the best or better its than his predecessors surely he'll make the biggest difference if all ?!!
I've become overloyal again before we've started !
Thoughts on the above ?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:04:03 PM by Dazvillain »

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #515 on: October 13, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »

Didn't we buy three players from the Championship over the summer, compared with five from the Premier League?

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #516 on: October 13, 2016, 08:57:14 PM »

For the last five years we've had but a few players who's game was based on hardwork. We have had many more high-earning underperformers. Andi worked hard early on, Westwood works hard but often for nought, Vlaar worked hard, Milner defined hard work in his time with us..

As for the big club bit.. if there is any manager out of our last crop that truly understands the hierarchy of British footballing power houses I think it's Bruce. Remi, Lambert, Sherwood, McLeish.. not a fucking clue.

That's a great summary of my post whilst I was typing it !

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #517 on: October 13, 2016, 09:03:37 PM »

Didn't we buy three players from the Championship over the summer, compared with five from the Premier League?

I'm struggling to remember who the three were but both Elphick and Jedinak both struggled to get in the team, even when fit, once in the PL.  So they're arguably closer to championship players than Premier League.  Ahh Chester is also in that bracket.  It's not a completely flawed policy but quality and potential should be the main barometers in my opinion.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #518 on: October 13, 2016, 09:05:37 PM »
Reporter from Express and Star  saying Bruce is on a rolling contract

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #519 on: October 13, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »
I am now at the Acceptance stage of the Kubler Ross curve. This has become my default setting where Villa are concerned.
Still in denial me.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #520 on: October 13, 2016, 09:09:01 PM »

I'm struggling to remember who the three were but both Elphick and Jedinak both struggled to get in the team, even when fit, once in the PL.  So they're arguably closer to championship players than Premier League.  Ahh Chester is also in that bracket.  It's not a completely flawed policy but quality and potential should be the main barometers in my opinion.

McCormack, Kodjia and Tshibola were signed from the Championship. Adomah, de Laet, Elphick, Chester and Jedinak were signed from the Premier League.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #521 on: October 13, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »

Watch the facebook link, he says possibly my biggest club (as a manager) there's no fucking possibly about it.

I'm not saying working hard isn't important, I just don't like the very British idea that putting in a bit more effort is all it takes.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #522 on: October 13, 2016, 09:12:41 PM »
Reporter from Express and Star  saying Bruce is on a rolling contract
He can say what he wants, but Bruce jsut said in the interview it's not fully agreed yet.....

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #523 on: October 13, 2016, 09:14:47 PM »

Watch the facebook link, he says possibly my biggest club (as a manager) there's no fucking possibly about it.

I'm not saying working hard isn't important, I just don't like the very British idea that putting in a bit more effort is all it takes.
He said arguably

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #524 on: October 13, 2016, 09:15:17 PM »
I really like the bloke, comes across as very decent.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal