collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245189 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2670 on: October 10, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »
Giggs would be a disaster. He needs to learn his trade, here isn't the place to do it.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2671 on: October 10, 2016, 09:06:35 AM »
19th in the Championship and just sacked our 4th manager in 18 months? We should be glad someone like Steve Bruce wants to come

Quite. I think some of us have an unrealistic opinion of our current position in the football world. Things change so quickly in the game these days and we cannot live on past glories. Having a nice ground and taking loads away is perhaps not the draw we like to think, we are currently a club that has struggled for years with an owner who is new to the game and consequently still has to prove himself. If we can get a manager with a track record of achieving the thing we are aiming for in the immediate future then he has to be a serious contender and I am sure we can mitigate against any overly short term thinking with the structure that Round is putting in place.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2025
« Reply #2672 on: October 10, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »
Apparently Giggs has said he would be prepared to manage a Championship club rather than just consider a club in the Premier League. For those opposed to Bruce, would taking a massive risk and gamble on someone like Giggs be considered a step in the right direction...or completely way off track?

How gracious of him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2673 on: October 10, 2016, 09:19:01 AM »
That would be the stupidest appointment ever.

Let him work his way up from the League of Wales or the English non-league scene before he's considered for a job at a club of our stature.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2674 on: October 10, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »
A lot on twitter (I know) were mentioning that Phil Neville could be Bruce's assistant (if Bruce is appointed?)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2675 on: October 10, 2016, 09:25:07 AM »
Not willing him to fail and not even expecting him too this season but I don't think he has any role longer than 18 months .

That's about the average tenure for a Premier League manager these days - and longer than 6 of our last 9 managers. And Bruce has managed 4 clubs for a shorter period than that so it will be no great shock if he comes and goes in under 2 years.   

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #2676 on: October 10, 2016, 09:32:57 AM »
Wouldn't want Giggs, but there'd be a resemblance to when Keane took over at Sunderland.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #2677 on: October 10, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »
I will be gutted if Bruce DOESN'T come.
To those who think he 'isn't the right manager for us in PL' just wow! that is arrogance beyond belief for where we currently are. Let's get back before we start worrying about the type of football we will play in the top flight please.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #2678 on: October 10, 2016, 09:35:17 AM »
19th in the Championship and just sacked our 4th manager in 18 months? We should be glad someone like Steve Bruce wants to come

Quite. I think some of us have an unrealistic opinion of our current position in the football world. Things change so quickly in the game these days and we cannot live on past glories. Having a nice ground and taking loads away is perhaps not the draw we like to think, we are currently a club that has struggled for years with an owner who is new to the game and consequently still has to prove himself. If we can get a manager with a track record of achieving the thing we are aiming for in the immediate future then he has to be a serious contender and I am sure we can mitigate against any overly short term thinking with the structure that Round is putting in place.

I have big doubts about Steve Round being the right man for the job he is doing. He was previously assistant manager to Moyes, old school manager with old school thinking. Why do we think Round is the man to shape the footballing side of our club and drag us into the 21st century? Hope I'm wrong but I think he may well have been promoted above his capabilities

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2679 on: October 10, 2016, 09:44:02 AM »
I still think that Clarke could be the one that we appoint

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2680 on: October 10, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »
Not willing him to fail and not even expecting him too this season but I don't think he has any role longer than 18 months and I don't like the idea of taking on a manager who plays a style that won't be a success where we want to be without at least trying to find someone who could still have a place with us in the premier league.

Are we talking about Bruce? He's had 4 jobs in the last 15 years, including 6 years at our beloved neighbours and has just finished 4 years at Hull.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2681 on: October 10, 2016, 09:46:15 AM »

I have big doubts about Steve Round being the right man for the job he is doing. He was previously assistant manager to Moyes, old school manager with old school thinking. Why do we think Round is the man to shape the footballing side of our club and drag us into the 21st century? Hope I'm wrong but I think he may well have been promoted above his capabilities

Yes, I probably share some of that concern but his remit is different and thing that struck me when he was recruited is that he talked about innovation and new ways of working. That is some way removed from being an assistant manager.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2682 on: October 10, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
It's time for someone to steady the ship.  We can't gamble our future on another romantic frolic like Garde or largely untested manager like Wagner.  We need to stop the terminal decline.  We need safe and solid progress and Bruce will be as close to guaranteeing that as we can hope for.

I would not be surprised if he got us in the play offs this season, but if promotion this year is not attainable then I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get us there or there abouts next year.  Further, if we can achieve promotion I would expect him to consolidate us i the PL within a couple of seasons - mid table, maybe even some cup runs.  Given what we have suffered for the last few years that would be pretty spectacular success.  If Tone still has money burning a hole in his pocket and ambition to go to the next level, then that is the time for a romantic Gamble, or preferably to nick Koeman type from Southampton. 

Offline The Grocer

« Reply #2683 on: October 10, 2016, 09:56:20 AM »
I will be gutted if Bruce DOESN'T come.
To those who think he 'isn't the right manager for us in PL' just wow! that is arrogance beyond belief for where we currently are. Let's get back before we start worrying about the type of football we will play in the top flight please.

Absolutely spot on.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #2684 on: October 10, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
Don't think Bruce is a bad manager and he probably will improve us, but is he the right one? There's plenty of other similar unimaginative types about who'd do a job. Allardyce, Clarke, Dyche, Pearson, Grayson, McCarthy... Even O'Neill. You can dress the stats up anyway you like, but it's just an obvious choice from the old-boys club and it just leaves you feeling a bit disappointed.

It'd be nice for one, if we really had a proper plan in place and knew where we were going. We just seem to take some random out of work manager every time we're looking for a manager who brings his own staff and philosophy which is massively dissimilar to the previous regime.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:11:49 AM by JJ-AV »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal