collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245192 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2655 on: October 10, 2016, 07:51:54 AM »
No manager in my memory will have arrived with so much expected of him with so little confidence in so many that he can do it.

Tony Xia has been talked into damage limitation.  I had hoped for very much better from him.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #2656 on: October 10, 2016, 08:01:54 AM »
The way I see is we need a noticeable improvement in performances between now and January, then get in at least a couple of midfielders who can do the business in the Championship (whether that be purchase or loaned from a PL club), and then hopefully make a push for the playoffs, and from there, anything can happen of course.

Bruce had good contacts with the Top guard in the Premiership. Hope he still gets on with Wenger and Mourinho as think he did some good loan deals with them whilst at noses.

Bruce is another in a long list of Fergie Accolytes who is worse the more money he has to spend.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2657 on: October 10, 2016, 08:04:46 AM »
So if we're 3-0 up and beating Wolves, Blues or anyone else you won't applaud him as he once got stick for being their manager? That's football isn't it? Me and my mates constantly take the piss out of each other for one thing or another. Normally me on the end the beating stick due to Villa being so woeful.

If he's our manager he's now one of us, new dawn, fresh start.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2658 on: October 10, 2016, 08:07:21 AM »
Nothing screams 'Championship Club' than appointing Steve fucking Bruce to keep you in it.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Hull City ring any bells.

Sadly there appears to be an awful lot of Villa supporters who are almost willing him to fail.

Offline brian green

« Reply #2659 on: October 10, 2016, 08:11:55 AM »
I shall keep my hands in my pockets and judge him on what he does not who he is.  I think my hands are going to spend a lot of time in my pockets this winter. Or potting up my bulbs on match days.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2660 on: October 10, 2016, 08:18:57 AM »
Not willing him to fail and not even expecting him too this season but I don't think he has any role longer than 18 months and I don't like the idea of taking on a manager who plays a style that won't be a success where we want to be without at least trying to find someone who could still have a place with us in the premier league.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2661 on: October 10, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »
Nothing screams 'Championship Club' than appointing Steve fucking Bruce to keep you in it.

Sadly there appears to be an awful lot of Villa supporters who are almost willing him to fail.

I see it as not willing to give him a chance rather than wanting him to fail, but then again you might be right.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2662 on: October 10, 2016, 08:44:15 AM »
To be honest I'm going to be a little surprised if he does come -  firstly, we are in inexorable decline and have an ever dwindling pool of managers to select from; in that scenario Bruce is as good as it gets  given his track record in the Championship. Let's suspend any talk of a return to the PL , as right now, we are fighting (not like lions) to stay in the chumps league, despite a spend that would put some PL clubs to shame in the last two seasons. as if that wasn't enough to contend with,  because of his connection with our non-friends down the road, any slip up will be seized upon as evidence of Agent Steve actively working to undermine us. We have to keep it real -Bruce is the best candidate given where we are now.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #2663 on: October 10, 2016, 08:46:34 AM »
I just cannot see Bruce taking us up this season

Watch out for the return of Richards / Gabby!

We need a manager that only sorts out the team, but will unite the club with the supporters (I thought that was what the club were supposedly trying to do?)

I wont applaud him / sing his name (how can we after all the abuse we have given him over the years?), for me he will be a page in our history, and then we will move on to the next one

I have to smile at the comments on his performance on that SKY sports programme on Sunday, of course he wants to manage us on a couple of million a year, a fool would!
i don't really want Bruce to get the job- mainly because I reckon we'd need to get a new manager to move us forward in the PL if we did get back up. I'd rather get someone in who can get us up and have a crack at PL top 6.

However, if he did get the job and turned things round and put a few wins together, the fans would be soon singing his name. Guaranteed. I don't think anyone really gives a fuck he managed the dogshitters. And actually achieved something that nobody has done there for decades and that was keep them in the top flight for four or five seasons.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #2664 on: October 10, 2016, 08:48:25 AM »
19th in the Championship and just sacked our 4th manager in 18 months? We should be glad someone like Steve Bruce wants to come

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #2665 on: October 10, 2016, 08:50:30 AM »
I shall keep my hands in my pockets and judge him on what he does not who he is.  I think my hands are going to spend a lot of time in my pockets this winter. Or potting up my bulbs on match days.
is that whilst they are in your pockets?

Offline brian green

« Reply #2666 on: October 10, 2016, 08:52:53 AM »
Every time the club has made a bad decision since the departure of O'Neill right up to relegation, and there have been dozens, those of us who try to point out that there could very easily be more failure ahead are accused of actually wanting us to fail.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  My/our hopes are very simple.  An end to reactive decision making and a plan that sees beyond the next "must win" games.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2667 on: October 10, 2016, 08:59:40 AM »
I'm a little surprised that a club that have won 4 games in the last 50 something are still talking about getting promoted this season. We are way off the pace points wise, declining performance and confidence wise and have glaring holes in the squad.

It would take a miracle to go up this season, what we need at first is some upward momentum, stringing some wins together, remembering what it's like to actually win games, keep clean sheets and perform as a team for 90 minutes, defend solidly when under pressure. Then we can talk about promotions next season. It's the harsh truth for me, we look a million miles away from being a solid team.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2668 on: October 10, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »

Agree with this.

If Pep walked through the door there'd be a percentage on here who wouldn't be happy because he's not British.

And why would you want someone to fail even before he's started?

Offline KRS

« Reply #2669 on: October 10, 2016, 09:03:33 AM »
Apparently Giggs has said he would be prepared to manage a Championship club rather than just consider a club in the Premier League. For those opposed to Bruce, would taking a massive risk and gamble on someone like Giggs be considered a step in the right direction...or completely way off track?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal