collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245190 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2115 on: October 08, 2016, 01:59:37 PM »
jesus, we want Bruce because he can organise the team? That's a basic qualification by anyone's standards.

Well yes. If a team is organised, it normally gets results. Four promotions proves he can organise a team.

What do the two relegations and the dismal failure at a number of other clubs prove?

That not all managers have success everywhere? Ranieri has been sacked more times than most but he didn't do too bad last season.

You can make anyone look good if you choose to ignore the bits that don't suit your argument.

Aren't you doing the same thing by ignoring 4 promotions?

I didn't ignore them, I just didn't see the point in mentioning them again when I was quoting your post which mentioned them.

The promotions are ups, the relegations and sackings are downs, he's an up and down sort of manager.

Nothing special.

We're a special club and should be after the best we can get.

Offline go on the dog

« Reply #2116 on: October 08, 2016, 01:59:58 PM »
Absolutely disgusted in this decision, words fail me, Dr X has made two choices of manager and fucked both up in my eyes. Oh Steve Bruce has won promotions but with teams hes relegated!!! Hes shite we could do much better. Absolutely boiling mad at this. >:(

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2117 on: October 08, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
Absolutely disgusted in this decision, words fail me, Dr X has made two choices of manager and fucked both up in my eyes. Oh Steve Bruce has won promotions but with teams hes relegated!!! Hes shite we could do much better. Absolutely boiling mad at this. >:(

What decision are you boiling mad at?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2118 on: October 08, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »
Every manager is a risk. We could be getting the Bruce that got Hull/Blose promoted, we could be getting the guy who got them relegated or the guy who did fuck all at Palace/Sheffield United and stunk the place out at Sunderland  (the only time he has been vaguely close to managing a Villa-sized club).

Bearing in mind that any manager is a gamble, we may as well get one who plays decent stuff and will make going to Villa Park a pleasure rather than a chore.

There is no point in spending fifty million on attacking flair players (mostly) then appointing a route one merchant.

As for who. Dunno. There is a whole World out there, and we are one of the biggest and richest clubs in it. Dr Xia should be going all out to convince the right candidate that our current position is an aberration, and that he will provide the funding for us to compete at the highest level.

Bielsa, Mancini, the Villa-supporting Italian bloke everyone was touting last time, Girard. If we have to go closer to home  (I don't see why we do, but still), then Brendan Rodgers would be a good shout.

One of the fluffiest posts I have ever read.

Bruce has one of the best Championship records around, and he knows the Midlands, that puts him way ahead of Mancini, Bielsa and Girard. Yes every managerial appointment carries risk – but you can mitigate that risk. Bruce and BFS are the lowest risk appointments.

The problem is not one of Xia’s backing, but how the money is spent.

Rodgers would be a dreadful appointment. A disaster in the transfer market he has no experience of assembling a team successfully and is currently managing in the wilderness.

If it's okay with you, I think saying that Steve Bruce would be a better manager for us than Roberto Mancini, Marcelo Bielsa and Rene Girard because he knows his way around spaghetti junction is one of the silliest things I've ever read.

Offline go on the dog

« Reply #2119 on: October 08, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »

What decision are you boiling mad at?

That he was even on the list to be Villa manager.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2120 on: October 08, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
Every manager is a risk. We could be getting the Bruce that got Hull/Blose promoted, we could be getting the guy who got them relegated or the guy who did fuck all at Palace/Sheffield United and stunk the place out at Sunderland  (the only time he has been vaguely close to managing a Villa-sized club).

Bearing in mind that any manager is a gamble, we may as well get one who plays decent stuff and will make going to Villa Park a pleasure rather than a chore.

There is no point in spending fifty million on attacking flair players (mostly) then appointing a route one merchant.

As for who. Dunno. There is a whole World out there, and we are one of the biggest and richest clubs in it. Dr Xia should be going all out to convince the right candidate that our current position is an aberration, and that he will provide the funding for us to compete at the highest level.

Bielsa, Mancini, the Villa-supporting Italian bloke everyone was touting last time, Girard. If we have to go closer to home  (I don't see why we do, but still), then Brendan Rodgers would be a good shout.

One of the fluffiest posts I have ever read.

Bruce has one of the best Championship records around, and he knows the Midlands, that puts him way ahead of Mancini, Bielsa and Girard. Yes every managerial appointment carries risk – but you can mitigate that risk. Bruce and BFS are the lowest risk appointments.

The problem is not one of Xia’s backing, but how the money is spent.

Rodgers would be a dreadful appointment. A disaster in the transfer market he has no experience of assembling a team successfully and is currently managing in the wilderness.

If it's okay with you, I think saying that Steve Bruce would be a better manager for us than Roberto Mancini, Marcelo Bielsa and Rene Girard because he knows his way around spaghetti junction is one of the silliest things I've ever read.

Cheers Monty. I hadn't even noticed that post until you quoted it.

Better than Bielsa because he "knows the Midlands" indeed!

Man City should have gone for Mike Phelan instead of Guardiola.

He might be shit but he knows the area.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2121 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:31 PM »
Let's face it, whoever Dr Tony puts is, it'll piss somebody off!

Offline go on the dog

« Reply #2122 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »
jesus, we want Bruce because he can organise the team? That's a basic qualification by anyone's standards.

Well yes. If a team is organised, it normally gets results. Four promotions proves he can organise a team.

What do the two relegations and the dismal failure at a number of other clubs prove?

That not all managers have success everywhere? Ranieri has been sacked more times than most but he didn't do too bad last season.

You can make anyone look good if you choose to ignore the bits that don't suit your argument.

Aren't you doing the same thing by ignoring 4 promotions?

I didn't ignore them, I just didn't see the point in mentioning them again when I was quoting your post which mentioned them.

The promotions are ups, the relegations and sackings are downs, he's an up and down sort of manager.

Nothing special.

We're a special club and should be after the best we can get.

Correct, if Bruce is the best we can get then we've gone.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2123 on: October 08, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »
I'd rather have someone in of a better calibre than Bruce obviously, but I wouldn't be unhappy if it was him.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #2124 on: October 08, 2016, 02:22:03 PM »
I'd see Bruce as purely a short term appointment with a remit to get us promoted this season or next. I'd hope that if there is joined up thinking going on down VP his successor will either join the coaching staff or be earmarked for recruitment from another club once we go up.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #2125 on: October 08, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
If we still want promotion this season, this isn't the time for a punt on the respective managers of Huddersfield, Barnsley or Brentford, regardless of any potential they may have. We need a steady, experienced pair of hands. If a man with four promotions to the Premier League on his cv, (the most recent being a few months ago) is available, excited at the prospect of managing a huge and ambitious club and fully appreciates and respects the managerial job he's taking on will be the biggest he will ever have in his life, his appointment will be good enough for me.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2126 on: October 08, 2016, 02:23:37 PM »
I really despair of Villa fans at times.  We are a potentially big club, and I mean potentially.  Because what has happened over the last six years is anything but the actions of a big club.  We have tried young and hungry, we have tried foreign, we have tried novices.  We are sitting at the arse end of the Championship more likely to go down as get into the playoffs even at this early stage.  Whilst all manager appointments are a gamble we need someone who at least we know has a semblance of knowing what they are doing in this division, if nothing else to create some stability upon which to build.  We do need to stop this 'we're a big club, let's just go and get x, y and z manager from Bristol, Huddersfield or whoever.  We simply are not the attraction we once were - and I say that with a heavy heart.  We could be again.  But, look at the facts, these teams, these fcukin teams have overtaken us in this terrible period.

Wet Spam, Stoke, Bournemouth, Swansea, Everton, Southampton, Middlesbrough, Smethwick, Burnley - yes Burnley.  Sorry I forgot Steve Bruce's Hull.

The hardest bit is accepting that you have a problem, then once you have, you can get help with it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:33:28 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2127 on: October 08, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »
Let's face it, whoever Dr Tony puts is, it'll piss somebody off!

I'm hearing Bruce is a done deal.

It may be bullshit but the ITK seems to have reliable source.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #2128 on: October 08, 2016, 02:30:47 PM »
Guys, I really don't get the anti - Bruce sentiment.  He managed Blues nine years ago - get over it.  It's not like he supported them as a boy.  His football isn't really that bad; his Hull team actually got slagged off for being too defensively lacklustre and overly focused on attacking, if I remember rightly.  He's taken four teams into the Premier League, and hasn't failed to promote a team from Division Two in the 21st century.  I get that we'd all like an innovative, pioneering Karanka - type, but we can have that once we've got out of this quicksand of a league.  Every season we don't go up, it gets harder to do so.  Let Bruce take us up within two seasons and give him say one year in the First Division, and then move on.  He'll have done his job and we can progress as a Premier League club.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #2129 on: October 08, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
Face it Bruce isn't going to get us promoted this season, but neither will he see us relegated again

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal