collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:25:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244484 times)

Offline Jimbo

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2070 on: October 08, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »
It surprises me how many times some people have to be hit in the face with a custard pie to realise they're in a slapstick movie. How many games have we actually won in the last few seasons? How many away games? Where did we finish last season? How many points did we get? How pathetic were we? Where are we now? Who have we beaten? What level of character and fight are we showing? When are we ever going to turn it around?

This is wartime, folks, and we need a wartime leader. In other words, the best that we can get given our current situation. The fact is a lot of the good managers out there don't need us, and all the crap that surrounds us. Managers walk in sharp, smart and vital, and walk out looking like they've been on Devil's Island for 20 years. Does Sean Dyche need that? Bielsa? Wagner?

This really isn't talking the club down, it's objectively taking stock of where we are and how we can stop the rot. There's nothing stable about being 19th in the Championship after 11 games. We may not be losing every week, but this is a league in which you have to pick up wins. Make no bones, there's only one trend at Villa and it's on a downward slope.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2071 on: October 08, 2016, 12:29:35 PM »
If you want to pick up wins, appointing a top manager is much more likely to provide them than a middling bloke who has been sacked twenty times.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2072 on: October 08, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
Tell me again, which top managers are currently jostling in the queue waiting to be our manager?

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
« Reply #2073 on: October 08, 2016, 12:35:51 PM »
Just read a newspaper article which puported to show the salaries of premiership managers...Sean Dyche was on 420k for scale Alardyce when at Sunderland and Pulis were meant to be on 3m Klop on £7m 

We all know football finances are totally bonkers so surely offering Dyche a Million ackers to join us and a treble youf money deal if you get us up isnt financially too crazy !!!

At the end of the day the 580k extra in context was probably a month and a half salary for the great NZogbia and 580k wouldnt buy a mediocre left back from the 2nd Division these days.

If he got us up £3m would be a drop in the ocean compared to the re established riches of the Premier League and to regain our place at the top table of English Football.

That said...id like to think not everyone in football has suck weak morals and money isnt thd be all and end all !!!

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2074 on: October 08, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
If you want to pick up wins, appointing a top manager is much more likely to provide them than a middling bloke who has been sacked twenty times.

Sacked twenty times? Isn't that over exaggerating to make a point?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2075 on: October 08, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »
Yes.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2076 on: October 08, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »
Tell me again, which top managers are currently jostling in the queue waiting to be our manager?

Managers don't queue and they don't tend to actually apply for jobs either.

Go and approach some top managers and see what happens.

In the worst case scenario, I doubt Barcelona will have swooped in to appoint Steve Bruce from under our noses if we delay appointing him by a day or two.

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
« Reply #2077 on: October 08, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »
Further to my previous post ... im under no illusions that this would ever remotely happen or that Dyche is the right man if were applied this approach to poac... recruiting a new manager !!!!

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2078 on: October 08, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
Beggars can't be choosers and God knows we're beggars. If you can't prize away, flavour of the month managers from over achieving Championship clubs, you're not going to land anyone from a higher echelon. Bruce is available and the best of a shit bunch. That's the current reality.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2079 on: October 08, 2016, 12:55:52 PM »

Managers don't queue and they don't tend to actually apply for jobs either.

Go and approach some top managers and see what happens.

In the worst case scenario, I doubt Barcelona will have swooped in to appoint Steve Bruce from under our noses if we delay appointing him by a day or two.

How do you know we haven't approached them and simply been told 'no thanks'?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2080 on: October 08, 2016, 12:58:24 PM »
Tony would've Tweeted about it!

I refuse to believe there is nobody better than Steve Bruce who we could attract, if the Chairman provides a suitable vision of his future for the club (and, obviously, offers to line the would-be manager's pockets with silver).

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2081 on: October 08, 2016, 01:04:59 PM »
We're in a weak position. The only people who really care about our illustrious history, accolades, past triumphs and former glories are us poor suffering Villans.

Almost everybody else sees a club in terminal decline, perennial losers, weak-willed bottlers, currently sitting at 19th in the Championship after spending over the odds on half decent - but not brilliant - Championship players and winning one of 11 games against relegation certainties Rotherham.

Not many top managers need that kind of challenge, which for most has been a career-breaker in the last few seasons. I think the pool of potential suitors is very shallow, Dr Tony knows it, and he recognises what we need before anything else is a steady hand. I don't like it one bit, but I'm willing to accept the facts.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2082 on: October 08, 2016, 01:11:37 PM »
I don't expect managers to care about our history.

I do expect them to care about being paid loads of money, being given lots of money to spend and being in with a chance of competing for honours at the top level if they do a good job.

None of which could be offered by, say, Burnley. (Okay I'm sure they're paying him plenty but nothing like the wages he could attract at Aston Villa if he had us in the top half of the top flight).

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #2083 on: October 08, 2016, 01:14:51 PM »
Just read a newspaper article which puported to show the salaries of premiership managers...Sean Dyche was on 420k for scale Alardyce when at Sunderland and Pulis were meant to be on 3m Klop on £7m 

We all know football finances are totally bonkers so surely offering Dyche a Million ackers to join us and a treble youf money deal if you get us up isnt financially too crazy !!!

At the end of the day the 580k extra in context was probably a month and a half salary for the great NZogbia and 580k wouldnt buy a mediocre left back from the 2nd Division these days.

If he got us up £3m would be a drop in the ocean compared to the re established riches of the Premier League and to regain our place at the top table of English Football.

That said...id like to think not everyone in football has suck weak morals and money isnt thd be all and end all !!!

If money talks for Dyche, offer him £2m.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2084 on: October 08, 2016, 01:15:13 PM »
Hernandez got 23 goals last season didn't he? Kodjia looks just as good, and McCormack up with him should do for a lot of teams.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal