collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245194 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2040 on: October 08, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »
Whoever we get, we'll be looking for a new manager in a couple of years, max. It's the same with every single club in the land ( Arsenal being the only exception I can think of, and a fair chunk of their fans want a new manager). There's no such thing as long term planning in football these days, only demands for instant results. That's the way it works.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2041 on: October 08, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
Well, maybe. But you can at least have some cohesive long-term plan. Appoint a guy who plays a certain way then, if and when he leaves, appoint someone of the same ilk.

There is no joined-up thinking that can lead to the conclusion that spending a fortune on flair players, then appointing a "lump it to the big bloke" merchant like Steve Bruce, is the way to go.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2042 on: October 08, 2016, 11:05:16 AM »
Potentially Ayew, Kodjia and Grealish could be the three best players in our team and in the entire league.

I don't see Steve Bruce getting the most out of them.

In fairness, he may improve the defence and get the best out of Gestede.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2043 on: October 08, 2016, 11:08:28 AM »
Well, maybe. But you can at least have some cohesive long-term plan. Appoint a guy who plays a certain way then, if and when he leaves, appoint someone of the same ilk.

There is no joined-up thinking that can lead to the conclusion that spending a fortune on flair players, then appointing a "lump it to the big bloke" merchant like Steve Bruce, is the way to go.

Yes, but that long term plan is only going to work if he's winning games. Di Matteo may well have been along term plan but look how long he's lasted?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2044 on: October 08, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »

Yes, but that long term plan is only going to work if he's winning games. Di Matteo may well have been along term plan but look how long he's lasted?

So the individual manager was a big charlatan. It doesn't mean you completely rip up the strategy and appoint a manager who is the opposite of the squad you have.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2045 on: October 08, 2016, 11:15:20 AM »

Having a long-term plan and having a manager good enough to win more than once in his first three months aren't mutually exclusive positions.

I want a manager who gets off to a great start, and is still manager in three years. That shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2046 on: October 08, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »

Having a long-term plan and having a manager good enough to win more than once in his first three months aren't mutually exclusive positions.

I want a manager who gets off to a great start, and is still manager in three years. That shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

It's possible but October is probably the worst time to look for a long term prospect. Most decent managers are in a job and of those that are available it is likely that their lack of stickability is a factor in why. Perhaps staying with Clarke and reassessing in the summer is the best option. I am not particularly advocating that but am struggling to think of anything else I like more.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2047 on: October 08, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »

Every fan and every club would want the same. Easier said than done isn't it though.

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #2048 on: October 08, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »
Wasn't Bruce the manager of the Hull team who had Hernandez upfront. You know the forward we were going to buy and seemed to do ok with him as his manager.
We need to get promoted, whether that be by playing boring football or not to me it doesn't matter as his record shows he can get teams up.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2049 on: October 08, 2016, 11:28:19 AM »
Wasn't Bruce the manager of the Hull team who had Hernandez upfront. You know the forward we were going to buy and seemed to do ok with him as his manager.
We need to get promoted, whether that be by playing boring football or not to me it doesn't matter as his record shows he can get teams up.

Didn't he have James Chester there as well? I don't think his Hull team were that bad to watch. He's hardly Tony Pulis.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2050 on: October 08, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »
I'm not going to overeact if we end up with Bruce
But when he enevitably fails and is shown up as the biggest tosser ever to manage the Villa
anyone who argued the case and was supportive of Aston Villa having Steve Bruce as their manager should be banned from Villa park for life on the charge of high treason
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:34:30 AM by john e »

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2051 on: October 08, 2016, 11:31:36 AM »
We haven't exactly played much eye catching football the last 6 years, I'd say give or take a couple of months under Lambert and a couple under Sherwood our football style has been eye bleeding and up there as as bad as anything in the leagues.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2052 on: October 08, 2016, 11:35:27 AM »
We haven't exactly played much eye catching football the last 6 years, I'd say give or take a couple of months under Lambert and a couple under Sherwood our football style has been eye bleeding and up there as as bad as anything in the leagues.

yeah so let's bring in another manager to carry that on then

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2053 on: October 08, 2016, 11:37:36 AM »
Pat Murphy reporting that Bruce has had 3 chats with Wyness. No formal interview yet and Clarke shouldn't be ruled out.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2054 on: October 08, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
Pat Murphy reporting that Bruce has had 3 chats with Wyness. No formal interview yet and Clarke shouldn't be ruled out.

Christ how uninspiring.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal