collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:57:54 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Olneythelonely
[Today at 10:49:07 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[Today at 10:41:45 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Des Little
[Today at 10:33:52 PM]

Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 10:31:44 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 10:25:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 09:27:43 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:59 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:57:54 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Olneythelonely
[Today at 10:49:07 PM]

Re: Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[Today at 10:41:45 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:39:23 PM]

Re: Kits 24/25 by Des Little
[Today at 10:36:51 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Des Little
[Today at 10:33:52 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 10:31:44 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Des Little
[Today at 10:29:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245155 times)

Offline villan from luton

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #1950 on: October 07, 2016, 11:24:38 PM »
I accept it takes time to settle, but the tactics seemed so random, not sure he knew what he was doing and really strange when you had two very experienced blokes as back up.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #1951 on: October 07, 2016, 11:26:31 PM »
I wonder if Clarke keeping his current job with Bruce as manager is remotely likely.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1952 on: October 07, 2016, 11:30:03 PM »
I accept it takes time to settle, but the tactics seemed so random, not sure he knew what he was doing and really strange when you had two very experienced blokes as back up.

well the big problem was the players bought imo. championships players and in the  case of jedinak, someone probably on the way out. I'd have liked him to have spent 25 million on premier players, but i'm guessing they wouldn't have come on the wages offered. Stick a Barry in that midfiled instead of westwood and we'd be a lot nearer the top

« Reply #1953 on: October 07, 2016, 11:31:51 PM »
Matt C, I doubt it as new manager wants his own staff, but must admit the sight of Keith decking Bertschin in the Villa dugout makes me feel a little bit queasy. Still remember him celebrating at VP in 77/78

« Reply #1954 on: October 07, 2016, 11:35:15 PM »

well the big problem was the players bought imo. championships players and in the  case of jedinak, someone probably on the way out. I'd have liked him to have spent 25 million on premier players, but i'm guessing they wouldn't have come on the wages offered. Stick a Barry in that midfiled instead of westwood and we'd be a lot nearer the top

Barry is still wanted at a top 6 club in Everton though. Kodije (sp) will be a good player I think, McCormack I think is talented but heard Warnock saying it is difficult to fit him into a team style, not sure what style Warnock has though lol. I just worry sometimes older players from premiership (I don't mean Barry who I know loves the club) would treat it as a pay day and hope the current signings don't think that.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1955 on: October 07, 2016, 11:51:39 PM »

Barry is still wanted at a top 6 club in Everton though. Kodije (sp) will be a good player I think, McCormack I think is talented but heard Warnock saying it is difficult to fit him into a team style, not sure what style Warnock has though lol. I just worry sometimes older players from premiership (I don't mean Barry who I know loves the club) would treat it as a pay day and hope the current signings don't think that.

I think barry at 35 would have come back  given the incentive (decent length contract and perhaps coaching role) It's not like everton are going to add anything to his medal tally.. I'm not actually unhappy with anyone RDM bought apart from jedinak , but a oldish good premier midfielder/defender or two on big money would have added a lot.  yeah and i know we spent all summer trying to dump richards/lescott etc..

Anyway, too much off topic. I still think  this squad could gell given the time.

Bruce?

A nothing Manager. Not for me bill.

« Reply #1956 on: October 07, 2016, 11:55:55 PM »
Barry probably wants another season of top level football and apparently excelling.

Bruce not your choice, who do you want then? I would like a punt on Dean Smith but we need a proven winner and can't see anyone other than Bruce

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1957 on: October 08, 2016, 12:06:36 AM »
Barry probably wants another season of top level football and apparently excelling.

Bruce not your choice, who do you want then? I would like a punt on Dean Smith but we need a proven winner and can't see anyone other than Bruce

hah, I don't know. The choices are so bad. I really know so little about dean smith that i'd go for him because i do know steve bruce. It's actually annoying me now because i can't actually see who is winning the poll without voting. I can guess that the nan haired hoofball merchant is miles ahead but given Lambert probably cleaned up the voting the time he was appointed, it doesn't fill me with much confidence in the average villa's fan's judgement.

« Reply #1958 on: October 08, 2016, 12:30:04 AM »
Ditto re Dean Smith, didn't know much about him before we played Brentford. I think that is heart over head though. Just want us winning a few games and with a bit of style, not too much to ask surely lol

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1959 on: October 08, 2016, 12:34:26 AM »
A lot of folk seem anti Bruce, which is fair enough. When asked, many of the people I speak to say they don't want him, but at the same time don't actually say who they do want. We aren't in the ideal scenario with the luxury of choice...believe it or not, top quality managers are no longer forming a queue to come here, so we need to be realistic. Of those in the frame, Bruce has the best credentials, regardless of his past.

Des, love you as I do but you're surrounded by Bluenoses. Keep taking the tablets..

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #1960 on: October 08, 2016, 12:38:21 AM »
Matt C, I doubt it as new manager wants his own staff, but must admit the sight of Keith decking Bertschin in the Villa dugout makes me feel a little bit queasy. Still remember him celebrating at VP in 77/78

The last thing we want is all our players running like girls.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1961 on: October 08, 2016, 12:41:53 AM »
Ditto re Dean Smith, didn't know much about him before we played Brentford. I think that is heart over head though. Just want us winning a few games and with a bit of style, not too much to ask surely lol

Nope it's not. I don't want to go down one of those "how low we've fallen" threads because they're daft, but the fact remains Bruce is in the running because while the style bit is asking a bit much, winning a few games is probably possible under his management.

« Reply #1962 on: October 08, 2016, 12:44:32 AM »

Nope it's not. I don't want to go down one of those "how low we've fallen" threads because they're daft, but the fact remains Bruce is in the running because while the style bit is asking a bit much, winning a few games is probably possible under his management.

We are in a pi55 p00r position, who will be likely to do a better job?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #1963 on: October 08, 2016, 12:55:13 AM »
I see Peter Withe is recommending Brian Little until the end of the season.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1964 on: October 08, 2016, 12:56:41 AM »

We are in a pi55 p00r position, who will be likely to do a better job?

I don't know. I've said after giving a manager 50m to spend after the mess we were in, its stupid to sack him after 11 games, but that's what DR.T did. you either decide clarke may be able to continue whatever rdm was trying to do and get it right, or write it all off and go for bruce - you'd have to say he's got the players from last season to play his system because they couldn't play football that's for sure. i wasn't for the record a massive RDM fan, but i thought once brought in and given that budget you had to back him. I would have offered someone like Howe carte blanche at the time and he may have come given that. Now someone like Howe is pie in the sky.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal