collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:22:10 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:17:59 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 10:06:44 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Drummond
[Today at 10:04:29 AM]

Kits 24/25 by sid1964
[Today at 09:57:32 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by robleflaneur
[Today at 09:48:48 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:22:10 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by levico
[Today at 10:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:17:59 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by VillaTim
[Today at 10:15:58 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 10:14:18 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by UK Redsox
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 10:06:44 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nigel
[Today at 10:05:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245231 times)

Offline Leicester_Villian

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #1830 on: October 07, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »
I read it as down to two ......Bruce and ?????

Offline Whiney MacWhineface

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #1831 on: October 07, 2016, 05:43:34 PM »
So, down to a shortlist of 3 according to Tone.

Dr. Tony Xia ‏@Dr_TonyXia 1h1 hour ago

Updates:We've working hard last week from25to10to3(not as reported)to2.Have to state again that our decision was nothing due to impatience.

When he says 'our decision' is he he talking about the decision to sack RDM?

I'm assuming so

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1832 on: October 07, 2016, 05:45:28 PM »
Wagner might give us an instant boost as did appointing Garde, but he might not be able to prove it under the weight of expectation that will come from managing us.
Did that happen? :|

As fans many thought including myself we'd landed a forward thinking manager with bright, new ideas. The results were far from inspiring.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #1833 on: October 07, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »
Odd that he feels he has to say that. At this stage it scarcely matters.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1834 on: October 07, 2016, 05:47:11 PM »
The simple answer to why I don't think Bruce will get us promoted is because we have already thrown away too many points.  My view has not wavered for the past three months.  We will come with a late rattle for a shout of the play offs. That is my opinion.  Others see it differently.

« Reply #1835 on: October 07, 2016, 05:52:30 PM »
Odd that he feels he has to say that. At this stage it scarcely matters.

I just assumed it was a response to someone needling him. Couldn't be arsed to check back though :)

Offline damon loves JT

« Reply #1836 on: October 07, 2016, 05:53:33 PM »
For me it has to be about leadership. Leadership is one of those qualities, like charisma, that's much easier to recognise than to define. But a big chunk of it is optimism. The unshakable belief that things will get better, and keep on getting better. Partly it's luck, but also the intelligence to recognise what luck you have and to capitalise on it. Partly it's the resolute determination not to be fucked with by anyone who tries to get in your way. But most of all the deeply-held desire to take people with you, and let them share your success.

Napoleon's advice to his juniors on leadership boiled down to three principles: activity; concentration of forces; and the resolution to die for France. I think if you substitute `Villa' for `France' I would take that.

« Reply #1837 on: October 07, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »
For me it has to be about leadership. Leadership is one of those qualities, like charisma, that's much easier to recognise than to define. But a big chunk of it is optimism. The unshakable belief that things will get better, and keep on getting better. Partly it's luck, but also the intelligence to recognise what luck you have and to capitalise on it. Partly it's the resolute determination not to be fucked with by anyone who tries to get in your way. But most of all the deeply-held desire to take people with you, and let them share your success.

Napoleon's advice to his juniors on leadership boiled down to three principles: activity; concentration of forces; and the resolution to die for France. I think if you substitute `Villa' for `France' I would take that.

And the ability to transmit that belief to the players. And receptive players.

Offline damon loves JT

« Reply #1838 on: October 07, 2016, 06:06:36 PM »
Indeed. Maybe you have good players, maybe you have bad ones. That's where luck comes into it. But you need the intelligence to know the difference. And it's your job to *make them* want to be led by you.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1839 on: October 07, 2016, 06:08:19 PM »
Not hit picking but I would substitute "willing" for "receptive".  I posted at some length two days ago that I believe in football these days there exists a culture in players like Gabby, N'Zogbia and Ireland that might be termed counter motivation.  They deliberately and wilfully refuse to be motivated.

Offline steamer

« Reply #1840 on: October 07, 2016, 06:12:55 PM »
I am 60, not sure how many tenures of Managers you know will fail I have left.
I thought we had clicked with O'Neil and as  sorry as it sounds I Had some optimism with Lambert.
I can not for the life of me imagine, steve bruce , claret and blue army.
Two years and his crap football, questionable signings, and he will be on his way as we sit 16th in the Premier, we go again.

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #1841 on: October 07, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »

Vive la Villa!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2025
« Reply #1842 on: October 07, 2016, 06:26:23 PM »
The difference between this year and the last five or so is that this year I feel that we have a squad that should be competing at the top of the table. Our last 5 years in the top flight I hoped we could be mid-table, but deep down knew the squad was well below par. That's why I think a change of manager can make a difference this time. Someone who can tactically organise and react should easily get results with this squad.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1843 on: October 07, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »
So according to the leaks its down to Lambert 2.0 and McLeish 2.0?

Not very promising.

Lets hope Dr.X has someone more inspiring in mind than the media do.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1844 on: October 07, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
there those on here who think Bruce guarantees promotion and have said so
I think he gurantees being right back in the same situation in 6-18 months but that's just what I think

he took Hull to 4th in the championship last season he didn't storm the league by any stretch, he huffed and puffed and just got them over the line in a play off, if people think that guarantees us promotion then fair enough but I don't,

alos those that keep saying lets take Bruce for a couple of years then replace him, football just doesn't work like that, I know it happens but it happens because of circumstances not design,
if he aint good enough for us in two years time he aint good enough now

I know I keep banging on about this but anyone that argues and makes a case for that fat head to be managing Villa and sitting in our dug out spending millions on overated british crap must be of their heads
just saying 'he'll get us up' is a crap argument as it would be if you said the same for Warnock or Holloway etc,
which direction and future do you want us to take one of a prehistoric dinosaur style football and tactics which offers no risk because you know exactly what your getting - boring shit football
 or take another risk on someone that offers a bit of hope for the future

so we got the new owner, new players new optimism new money and after all that if the best we can come up with is old wanked out Steve Bruce picking up his latest few million for doing fuck all then we deserve all we get

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal