collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[Today at 01:27:16 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by VillaTim
[Today at 01:24:24 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Si
[Today at 01:22:56 PM]

Season Tickets by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:20:58 PM]

The Holte’s Last Stand by Stu82
[Today at 01:02:13 PM]

Championship Memories by Stu82
[Today at 12:57:32 PM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by thick_mike
[Today at 12:53:40 PM]

Kits 24/25 by Monty
[Today at 12:00:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245253 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #1815 on: October 07, 2016, 04:03:46 PM »
The major bookmakers have suspended betting on Bruce according to the Meaning Evil.

They do that most nights.

We have this conversation every time we're looking for a new manager.

I think you put me right on that one after O'Neill left.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1816 on: October 07, 2016, 04:03:58 PM »
One of the questions will be whether or not they are looking at this appointment as a long term strategy or short term followed up by long term? Bruce might give us what we need short term and as far as certainties go, he at least as a solid track record of getting teams into the PL. Wagner is the newest and shiniest toy and he might be exactly what we are looking for. But then again he might not be able to sustain this. And there was that thought about Lambert some moons ago and that fell apart.

Bruce doesn't fill me with joy but we know what he brings. Wagner might give us an instant boost as did appointing Garde, but he might not be able to prove it under the weight of expectation that will come from managing us.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1817 on: October 07, 2016, 04:31:59 PM »
Sacking an experienced manager after a bad run of 11 games and replacing him with a novice who's had a good run of 11 games could be either considered a massive gamble or rather stupid.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1818 on: October 07, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »
Far from being a Bruce lover, I console myself that under him we will not get relegated.  Neither will we get promoted any time soon but I am thankful for small mercies.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1819 on: October 07, 2016, 05:04:14 PM »
Sacking an experienced manager after a bad run of 11 games and replacing him with a novice who's had a good run of 11 games could be either considered a massive gamble or rather stupid.

I'd hardly call RDM "experienced". One full season at MK Dons and less than 2 at the Albion. His other 'experiences' can be measured in weeks.

Wagner would be a risk but what we do know is that he's from a very good school, studying there for 4 years before getting his first big job at tiddly Huddersfield. Over achieving? Huddersfield are, the question is, can the same be said for Wagner?

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1820 on: October 07, 2016, 05:10:03 PM »
Far from being a Bruce lover, I console myself that under him we will not get relegated.  Neither will we get promoted any time soon but I am thankful for small mercies.

His recent record would be at odds with that conclusion.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1821 on: October 07, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »
I just don't think that promotion with Bruce in under two years is anywhere near as guaranteed as some people seem to think it is - and, of we're not being promoted, them two years with Bruce in charge will be a ponderously dreary waste of time.

Wagner and others are, of course, risks, and Bruce's record does give him the impression of being less of a risk than some. But there are risks with him too - the risk of settling back in the doldrums, of not building any substantial club ethos or infrastructure, of dropping even further behind clubs like Southampton who are doing that. It was this kind of short-termism which ruined is under and after MON, and it's not right to suggest that it isn't a risk.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1822 on: October 07, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »

Wagner and others are, of course, risks,

Coming soon to Villa Park ?

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #1823 on: October 07, 2016, 05:20:05 PM »

Why shouldn't we get promoted?. After all we are only a quarter of the way through a long season. Having said that I think a time span of two seasons would be sensible to  form an effective playing pattern which would be successful in the long run.

Offline Whiney MacWhineface

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #1824 on: October 07, 2016, 05:27:18 PM »
So, down to a shortlist of 3 according to Tone.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1825 on: October 07, 2016, 05:27:57 PM »
Wagner might give us an instant boost as did appointing Garde, but he might not be able to prove it under the weight of expectation that will come from managing us.
Did that happen? :|

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1826 on: October 07, 2016, 05:30:24 PM »

Dr. Tony Xia ‏@Dr_TonyXia 1h1 hour ago

Updates:We've working hard last week from25to10to3(not as reported)to2.Have to state again that our decision was nothing due to impatience.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1827 on: October 07, 2016, 05:37:38 PM »

Why shouldn't we get promoted?. After all we are only a quarter of the way through a long season. Having said that I think a time span of two seasons would be sensible to  form an effective playing pattern which would be successful in the long run.

Interesting point you raise, Ron. If we were to accept that promotion won't happen this season, what is the best way to make sure that when we do return to the PL we are in a far strongest possible position to not only survive but build on our success. I'd much prefer an architect like Wagner than an odd job man like Bruce.

If Bruce guaranteed us promotion in May then yes, I'd have him in today and replace him once promotion was secured. Maybe the extra season wait is actually necessary as right now I'd say that most of our squad would need replacing should we get promoted. Maybe Dr Xia would prefer to pay out again in May rather than suffer another season in the Championship. Both options come with risks. It's a tough call.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #1828 on: October 07, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »

Dr. Tony Xia ‏@Dr_TonyXia 1h1 hour ago

Updates:We've working hard last week from25to10to3(not as reported)to2.Have to state again that our decision was nothing due to impatience.

When he says 'our decision' is he he talking about the decision to sack RDM?

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #1829 on: October 07, 2016, 05:41:24 PM »
Wagner might give us an instant boost as did appointing Garde, but he might not be able to prove it under the weight of expectation that will come from managing us.
Did that happen? :|

The rather fortunate 0-0 against Citeh at Villa park was the only  'instant boost' Remi Garde gave us.
God...things have been bad haven't they?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal