collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by RamboandBruno
[Today at 07:24:46 AM]

Season Tickets by Bad English
[Today at 07:24:34 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by RamboandBruno
[Today at 07:24:46 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Bad English
[Today at 07:24:34 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:24:02 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by andyh
[Today at 06:47:14 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:52:50 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by sid1964
[Today at 05:47:34 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:43:49 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245211 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #1695 on: October 06, 2016, 07:04:16 PM »
It could be Clarkes to lose now which could be interesting. He's been and done it before, you never know, he might do well enough as caretaker to earn the job. I really hope so to be honest. We could do with some good fortune.

Offline ez

« Reply #1696 on: October 06, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »
I'm in the Bruce camp

on here a lot of contributors were oozing how good remy "was" I remember. now he most likely is a good coach BUT he failed the acid test and for those waxing about Robert wagner , you are trying to perpetuate this cycle.

Bruce wont fuck up.

if not Bruce then an equally seasoned professional.

I was talking to the blues fans at work today. They don't want us to get Bruce. They reckon he'd do a good job for us.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1697 on: October 06, 2016, 07:14:07 PM »
I'm in the Bruce camp

on here a lot of contributors were oozing how good remy "was" I remember. now he most likely is a good coach BUT he failed the acid test and for those waxing about Robert wagner , you are trying to perpetuate this cycle.

Bruce wont fuck up.

if not Bruce then an equally seasoned professional.

No, absolutely not and I say that as someone who doesn't think Wagner is the right choice.

The people who don't want Bruce are trying to BREAK the cycle.  Over and over we've hired a manager with no thought of the squad they'll inherit so they try to put square pegs in round holes, or have to make loads of signings to get a squad they can work with.  That constant flux of players, coaches and methodology is the reason we're in this mess, that's what board level disinterest does.  That's why what's truly important is for the board to decide what they want the club to be and then work out what we need to do to get there.  Hiring someone because they're a "seasoned professional" with no regard for playing style or hiring someone to get us promoted so we can worry about the premier league when we get there is the wrong approach.  We're desperate for results and to have something positive to talk about but we shouldn't let that desperation be the defining factor in this appointment.

As I've said I'd like someone with a track record of surpassing expectations at a big-medium sized club.  Meeting expectations at top half of the championship clubs really isn't enough.  I backed Garde and OGS because both of them seemed to have done just that and in the summer I backed RDM because I thought he was clearly the best choice out of him, Pearson and Moyes who were the names being linked.  This appointment is different; that one came when there were lots of questions over what investment would be available and how serious Xia was.  The huge outlay in the summer has taken away a lot of that uncertainty.

Our sights should be set higher than Bruce and he can come into it in a week or so if nothing else is working out.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1698 on: October 06, 2016, 07:14:17 PM »
I was at first in the Bruce camp too. Now I am not really in any camp.  Bruce will get turned on at the first opportunity and the last thing we need is a manager getting pelters early on before they deserve it.  We need the crowd to be fully behind the appointment.  Dyche would be a Taylor esque appointment in my opinion, and would be a huge coup for the new board.  Wagner less so but would still command impressed looks that the board are acting like a big club still.  Bruce would need to hit the ground running and not bring a load of useless ex blues with him. 

Online nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #1699 on: October 06, 2016, 07:19:35 PM »
Would love to get Dyche. If they hadn't gone up last year we'd have had a chance but not now. He talks so much sense compared to some of the shite out there. He didn't even complain about that goal against Arsenal the other day on the after match interview I heard.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1700 on: October 06, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »
I'd have Bruce would be ideal to work with the squad. Strikes me as a keep it simple pragmatist.

Pop a system and an attacking structure onto the firepower we have and we're likely to make the play offs.

Online malckennedy

« Reply #1701 on: October 06, 2016, 07:21:17 PM »
Wasn't Dyche said to want Westwood in the summer? I was disappointed that it didn't happen. If this is true then that alone would be enough to put me off him.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #1702 on: October 06, 2016, 07:22:14 PM »
irrespective of Who?

the Doc should surely have been, asking "who can we get in, if rdm loses another." The fact that he/we haven't does anyone else think he's already got his man??

CLARKE ??

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1703 on: October 06, 2016, 07:22:20 PM »
I was at first in the Bruce camp too. Now I am not really in any camp.  Bruce will get turned on at the first opportunity and the last thing we need is a manager getting pelters early on before they deserve it.  We need the crowd to be fully behind the appointment.  Dyche would be a Taylor esque appointment in my opinion, and would be a huge coup for the new board.  Wagner less so but would still command impressed looks that the board are acting like a big club still.  Bruce would need to hit the ground running and not bring a load of useless ex blues with him.
"Bruce will get turned on at the first opportunity"
No need for that kind of smut.  We're discussing who will be our next manager😁

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1704 on: October 06, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »
I'd have Bruce would be ideal to work with the squad. Strikes me as a keep it simple pragmatist.

Pop a system and an attacking structure onto the firepower we have and we're likely to make the play offs.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it. I know long term etc... but long term we've been fucking shit, and I'm so frazzled by it all that I'm only interested in sorting the fucking short term out for now.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1705 on: October 06, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »

God can you imagine Bruce in the act. Like a walrus trying to mate.

Offline steamer

« Reply #1706 on: October 06, 2016, 07:44:55 PM »
Again, for me, unless we have a masterstroke ready to be played our short term Horizon is this season.
Would Bruce want to be here for half a season, I doubt it. Would I want him to be here longer, a definite NO, you know he is going to hit a ceiling in 18-24 months as he has done everywhere else.
A sensible pair of hands for the rest of the season could still get us into the play offs. Hodgson, Clarke, whoever.
No panic appointments. do we think that any currently employed "talent" will jump ship into our Maelstrom and take shit and risk for the rest of the season.
Up front statement of this years objectives with a short term solution and find the right man for the future.
Not potatoes face, not corrupt Sam, or any other Regurgitated crap.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1707 on: October 06, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »

God can you imagine Bruce in the act. Like a walrus trying to mate.
Make it stop. Please make it stop. I just threw up in my own mouth
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:55:41 PM by The Edge »

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1708 on: October 06, 2016, 07:52:31 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it. I know long term etc... but long term we've been fucking shit, and I'm so frazzled by it all that I'm only interested in sorting the fucking short term out for now.

But will the Doc feel the same? He hasn't had to live through the same unrelenting misery that we have, he's the fresh faced new kid so will he be interested in pragmatic, short term solutions? 

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1709 on: October 06, 2016, 08:15:55 PM »

But will the Doc feel the same? He hasn't had to live through the same unrelenting misery that we have, he's the fresh faced new kid so will he be interested in pragmatic, short term solutions? 

Why is there such a certainty that Bruce is a pragmatic choice?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal