collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:25:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244483 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #1665 on: October 06, 2016, 01:23:58 PM »
I think I've lost interest in this subject so comprehensively these last few years that I'd be quite happy to take Rowett purely on the basis it'd piss the knuckle draggers off.

That's what I never got with the "it's just because he managed Blues" thing about McLeish. It wasn't that. It was that he was a proven failure who played godawful football. If he'd been a decent manager, the fact we'd taken him from Small Heath would have been a BONUS.

This, this, this. I think you'd either have to be spectacularly, Earth-stoppingly thick, deluded or a knuckledragger, or a mix of all three (which is quite common) to believe otherwise.

Because when the ancient Romans sacked Carthage in 150 BC, they destroyed the city of their ancient rivals, but refused to plunder all their treasure, jewels, riches and women because they hated them so much. All throughout history there have been cases where people would rather die and go to hell than accept valuable assets from their most hated foes.

And thus, if Birmingham City were to drive an articulated lorry full of Faberge eggs, gold ingots, lost masterpieces by the likes of Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Caravaggio and Picasso, the Holy Grail itself, plus the skeleton of Jesus Christ, into Villa Park, we would duly set fire to it because we couldn't stand to accept such priceless artefacts from them because we don't like them very much and they smell.

But Gary Rowett won't come because he's got more sense, so Bruce it is. I suspect he'll be judged on how good/shit he is.

The Romans sacked the living shit out of Carthage and Corinth in the same year, 146 BC.

The sack of Carthage is one of the few examples in history where the Roman's actually sacked a city taken under siege.

The raped, pillaged and leveled the place, taking 50 thousand slaves in the bargain and absorbed Carthaginian territory into Roman dominion. They hated them and took everything from them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:26:40 PM by Ads »

Offline villabear

« Reply #1666 on: October 06, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »
I think I've lost interest in this subject so comprehensively these last few years that I'd be quite happy to take Rowett purely on the basis it'd piss the knuckle draggers off.

That's what I never got with the "it's just because he managed Blues" thing about McLeish. It wasn't that. It was that he was a proven failure who played godawful football. If he'd been a decent manager, the fact we'd taken him from Small Heath would have been a BONUS.

This, this, this. I think you'd either have to be spectacularly, Earth-stoppingly thick, deluded or a knuckledragger, or a mix of all three (which is quite common) to believe otherwise.

Because when the ancient Romans sacked Carthage in 150 BC, they destroyed the city of their ancient rivals, but refused to plunder all their treasure, jewels, riches and women because they hated them so much. All throughout history there have been cases where people would rather die and go to hell than accept valuable assets from their most hated foes.

And thus, if Birmingham City were to drive an articulated lorry full of Faberge eggs, gold ingots, lost masterpieces by the likes of Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Caravaggio and Picasso, the Holy Grail itself, plus the skeleton of Jesus Christ, into Villa Park, we would duly set fire to it because we couldn't stand to accept such priceless artefacts from them because we don't like them very much and they smell.

But Gary Rowett won't come because he's got more sense, so Bruce it is. I suspect he'll be judged on how good/shit he is.

The Romans sacked the living shit out of Carthage and Corinth in the same year, 146 BC.

The sack of Carthage is one of the few examples in history where the Roman's actually sacked a city taken under siege.

The raped, pillaged and leveled the place, taking tens of 50 thousand slaves in the bargain and absorbed Carthaginian territory into Roman dominion. They hated them and took everything from them.

Yeah, but what have the Romans ever done for us? 

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #1667 on: October 06, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »
3 to 2.. err? Get Tommy Doc back.

Did the Doc get us promoted?  probably missing something

The doc was brought when we were demoted from Div 1. He said on ATV at time. 'it's my job to get the Villa out of division 2'  Great teatime viewing. Everyone nodded in agreement. The Villa went in div 3. He got them back up then.  Classic stuff. Took a long time back then. Everyone wants instant gratification now. Not least Tony Xia who ants PL riches for his investment. Playing Leyton Orient not on his agenda.

(Edited by PWS: Tidied that up for you.)

The Doc didn't get us promoted, it was Vic Crowe.

Offline Ads

« Reply #1668 on: October 06, 2016, 01:30:28 PM »

'Huddersfield were one of the best drilled and fittest sides I've seen at VP this season'

I can't believe anybody has actually come out with shite like that? Huddersfield were absolute dogshite until Scannell and Wells injected pace to cause us problems. Even then they had the free kick and feck all else.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #1669 on: October 06, 2016, 01:36:55 PM »

'Huddersfield were one of the best drilled and fittest sides I've seen at VP this season'

I can't believe anybody has actually come out with shite like that? Huddersfield were absolute dogshite until Scannell and Wells injected pace to cause us problems. Even then they had the free kick and feck all else.
To be fair to Hoyle they ran rings round us second half and deservedly equalised. Most of ours were blowing out their arses after an hour.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #1670 on: October 06, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »
I think it's looking like it will be Bruce or Wagner.

Bruce would be the safe and sensible option. He's tried and trusted in this division, would sort the defence out and would get us up the league. Downsides being the Small Heath links and he's not exactly going to excite the fans. However is excitement and a risk what we need right now? Almost certainly not.

That brings me on to Wagner. He would be more exciting and an unknown, but he's very inexperienced and has only managed 11 games in this league. I think he would be an unnecessary risk in our current position.

He's closer to 50 games in this league.
So he has, just shows how I haven't noticed him before this season. Why did nobody want him in the summer? He's basically being judged on the 11 games this season which is crazy really. You could pinpoint an 11 game spell in any manager's career to make them look good.

I actually think he might do alright here, but as I said it's a risk we don't need to take right now.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #1671 on: October 06, 2016, 01:40:11 PM »

The raped, pillaged and leveled the place, taking 50 thousand slaves in the bargain and absorbed Carthaginian territory into Roman dominion. They hated them and took everything from them.

Precisely his point?

Offline Ads

« Reply #1672 on: October 06, 2016, 01:41:20 PM »
He said they didn't take their possessions out of spite, which is not true. They took everything from them.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1673 on: October 06, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »

Well that's got me stumped. I thought the lessons of history had taught us that, if you really, truly hated your rivals, you would never, ever accept anything that once belonged to them, no matter how valuable, wondrous and splendid they might be. That's why we didn't want Alex McLeish at the Villa, after all. I heard it on the BBC.

Offline Ads

« Reply #1674 on: October 06, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
Try telling that to a citizen soldier (they were pre-Marian reforms still) who left his small holding a year or two back to go on campaign that he cannot take any of the spoils after a siege as some compensation.

The Romans didn't sack many cities, but they had a hard on for expunging Carthage from history. The myth was that the land around was sown with salt, which would seem unlikely.

I guess it fits with Paulie saying we want this because of you rather than in spite of you we will rail against the gift. To be honest it bugged me that you got that date wrong more than anything.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1675 on: October 06, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
Sick of the same old and want something different?

Lambert was meant to be different -an up and coming tracksuit manager who'd done his stint in the lower leagues and was keen to make his name with us.  Sherwood was meant to be different- a brash, rent-a-quote chirpy Cockernee who would lift the place by sheer force of personality. Garde was meant to be different; a more considered, tactically astute foreign coach.

In the end, they all meshed into one lovely shade of hearing aid beige.

The next 'different' we go for could see us in League One.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1676 on: October 06, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »
Jimbo's satire around these parts is now legendary, a pity it's gone unnoticed in some quarters.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1677 on: October 06, 2016, 01:54:31 PM »
My apologies, Ads. It's sarcasm. It's the only weapon I had left against the wilfully idiotic, who believe Villa fans didn't want TSM mk1 because he was a bluenose, and not because he was fucking shit.

One day we'll take their world-beating 50-goal-a-year super-striker off their hands, and journalists the length and breadth of Britain will be confounded into catatonia by the sudden, uncharacteristic swing in our affection for all things blue and white.

Offline Ads

« Reply #1678 on: October 06, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »
Oh I thought he was joining in with the irrational dislike posts. I'd read a few who said they were equally irrational.and in agreement.

Fair enough!

Offline Ads

« Reply #1679 on: October 06, 2016, 01:58:54 PM »
Yeah sorry, reading back now I should have picked up on it. I just took a bee-line at the opportunity to shoe horn history in!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal