collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 11:05:41 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 11:03:58 AM]

Season Tickets by chrisw1
[Today at 10:58:03 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:51:46 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Drummond
[Today at 10:04:29 AM]

Kits 24/25 by sid1964
[Today at 09:57:32 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245235 times)

Offline mattjpa

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #1620 on: October 06, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »
Probably going to sound a bit shallow but Bruce was photographed recently looking really obese. (not just middle age paunch but dangerously obese) I dont know why but I look at someone like him and think, if you cant manage your own weight and health, how do you expect to manage our bloody football club. I dont know, it just doesnt give the impression of someone who is in total control and doesnt do much for building respect either. I think trust and respect in the manager is a key requirement at our club at the moment

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1621 on: October 06, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »
Probably going to sound a bit shallow but Bruce was photographed recently looking really obese. (not just middle age paunch but dangerously obese) I dont know why but I look at someone like him and think, if you cant manage your own weight and health, how do you expect to manage our bloody football club. I dont know, it just doesnt give the impression of someone who is in total control and doesnt do much for building respect either. I think trust and respect in the manager is a key requirement at our club at the moment

Thats what I think about him as well, if he's got no self discipline how is he going to deal with our wastrels?

Online cdward

« Reply #1622 on: October 06, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »
Need to take off the Claret and Blue tinted glasses.
Southgates record as 'Boro Manager was a  win rate of 20%.

Now is not the time to gamble on unknowns like Wagner.
Bruce for 2 seasons, then see where we are.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #1623 on: October 06, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3824135/David-Wagner-Jurgen-Klopp-clone-bizarre-bonding-sessions-Huddersfield-dreaming-big-time.html

I know we are not going to get him, but this sort of article makes me very envious we can't find a manager with that level of commitment and forward thinking. We will get Bruce.

Wow, I like the sound of him.....I know we'd all love the Villa but he'd be mad to come!!  If we did get him, I susoect we wouldn't see the best of his work until next season.

Bruce is the safe option, Wagner is the exciting option. I would prefer Wagner to drag us into the 21st century with his new progressive ideas than continually going around the same old cycle of old school managers having a short term impact and then getting rid of them after 3 years when they and the players become stale

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1624 on: October 06, 2016, 10:15:04 AM »

Thats what I think about him as well, if he's got no self discipline how is he going to deal with our wastrels?

What about managers who smoke? Ancelotti, Vialli? or pissheads like Clough or Kendall were?

I reckon the girth of our future manager is the least of our concerns

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #1625 on: October 06, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »
I'm sure after a few months at Bodymoor Heath, the stress of managing the Villa fans expectations and our delinquent squad plus spending afternoons at the Belfry the fat will fall off him. Ron Atkinson wasn't slim don't forget.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #1626 on: October 06, 2016, 10:28:01 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3824135/David-Wagner-Jurgen-Klopp-clone-bizarre-bonding-sessions-Huddersfield-dreaming-big-time.html

I know we are not going to get him, but this sort of article makes me very envious we can't find a manager with that level of commitment and forward thinking. We will get Bruce.

Wow, I like the sound of him.....I know we'd all love the Villa but he'd be mad to come!!  If we did get him, I susoect we wouldn't see the best of his work until next season.

Bruce is the safe option, Wagner is the exciting option. I would prefer Wagner to drag us into the 21st century with his new progressive ideas than continually going around the same old cycle of old school managers having a short term impact and then getting rid of them after 3 years when they and the players become stale
Who is Wagner? Seriously he's been in the management game 5 minutes are we really going to go all in on an inexperienced foreign manager who has got some early season scalps with Hednesford ahead of a guy with proven track record as manager in the championship and knows what AVFC is all about. Not saying that is essential but very rare people from outside come in and really understand what managing this club is all about - Graham Taylor, Martin O'Neill and Tim Sherwood got it, O'Leary, Houllier and Paul Lambert didn't.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #1627 on: October 06, 2016, 10:29:25 AM »

3 years sounds like light years away right now.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1628 on: October 06, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »
Are there any top managers who are managing in the Chinese Super League (or whatever it is called?) ....... that Dr Tone may have taken note of?

Offline Pete

« Reply #1629 on: October 06, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »
Only proven  record Bruce has is of bouncing between divisions and playing awful football

shefiield united = didn't get promotion
huddersfield = didn't get promotion
Palace = didn't get promotion
blose - promoted, relegated, promoted
wigan - premier
Sunderland - premier
Hull - promoted/relegated/promoted

Sheffield United- First job in management.

Huddersfield- No real idea of how he did there tbh.

Palace- Did brilliantly, were leading the division when he left them in December to go to...

SHA- Well yes a relegation but he got them up after what 20 years and kept them up for 4 seasons before he signed too many egos.

Wigan- They finished 8th I think and he signed some pretty good players that Wigan made profits on.

Sunderland- His one poor job in management I think. Even then Sunderland actually had a very good first half of the season in 10/11 but it all fell apart when they sold Bent to us and also lost Welbeck and Gyan shortly afterwards and his striker recruitment was very poor.

Hull- Two promotions and a relegation.

Any manager who's been in the game for a while will have stuff like that on their CV. I think in the state we're in people are criticising him for the sake of it as he's Guardiola level in the championship.

Criticising him in the prem is more arguable although let's get back there first.

I read yesterday that Huddersfield  are having their best start to a season since yes you guessed it Steve Bruce was there

I don't know where you read it, but that's wrong. Huddersfield this season, P11 W8 D1 L2 25 points. I've just looked up Bruce's 1st 11 games there, W5 D2 L4 17 points. According to the local paper the other day, this is their best start to a season ever, including the three times they won the league in the 1920s.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #1630 on: October 06, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »

Winston Churchill was pretty chubs, he seemed to get things done.

I think people focus too much on how Bruce looks, yes he's an ugly mug. But what's that got to do with it. He's managing, he's not playing.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1631 on: October 06, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »

Winston Churchill was pretty chubs, he seemed to get things done.

He was a functioning alcoholic as well. I doubt he'd get us to the play offs though

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1632 on: October 06, 2016, 10:45:40 AM »
Big Fat Steve's Claret & Blue Army!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1633 on: October 06, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »
Bruce will get us promoted and eat Gabby, sorting out two problems for us.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #1634 on: October 06, 2016, 10:48:18 AM »
I think you'd need to be some sort of an alcoholic to take the Villa job.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal