collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Goldie.7
[Today at 05:16:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244502 times)

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #1440 on: October 05, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »

Certainly is. More detail here from his perspective on why he was sacked:

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1044893/steve-bruce-blames-hatred-for-sunderland-dismissal

Jesus, replace "Geordie" with "Bluenose" and "Sunderland" with "Villa" and there's Bruce's resignation letter from Villa already drafted and ready to send

"I just think the owner saw the hatred that was directed towards me from the terraces and thought I would never recover from it. Even if I had won the next six games some people would never have forgiven me for being a Geordie."

He added: "The hatred I suffered was unbelievable. It was brutal, it really was. In fairness it was a minority of Sunderland fans who abused me but it was way over the top and very hurtfull".

It's a bit different, the two cities have a massive rivalry and on match days anyone from Sunderland hates anyone from Newcastle and vice versa. Bruce is from Newcastle and they know he was a boyhood Newcastle fan. Here we are just dealing with the fact he managed our rivals for a few years, nearly ten years ago. Di Matteo managed Baggies but that didn't bother anybody.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1441 on: October 05, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1044893/steve-bruce-blames-hatred-for-sunderland-dismissal

Jesus, replace "Geordie" with "Bluenose" and "Sunderland" with "Villa" and there's Bruce's resignation letter from Villa already drafted and ready to send

"I just think the owner saw the hatred that was directed towards me from the terraces and thought I would never recover from it. Even if I had won the next six games some people would never have forgiven me for being a Geordie."

He added: "The hatred I suffered was unbelievable. It was brutal, it really was. In fairness it was a minority of Sunderland fans who abused me but it was way over the top and very hurtfull".

It's a bit different, the two cities have a massive rivalry and on match days anyone from Sunderland hates anyone from Newcastle and vice versa. Bruce is from Newcastle and they know he was a boyhood Newcastle fan. Here we are just dealing with the fact he managed our rivals for a few years, nearly ten years ago. Di Matteo managed Baggies but that didn't bother anybody.

There's a massive difference between our feelings towards our local inferiors.

Offline ironmaidenmania

« Reply #1442 on: October 05, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Why can't we go with someone from outside of the regular names? Everytime we're linked with so and so, yet what will they bring.

I voted Rowett because I like the way he thinks and sets the team up to play. Not bothered by the connection with them.

But my choice would be to throw money at Bergkamp. Assistant at Ajax and managing their elite U19. Make him an offer he can't really refuse.

It can't pan out any worse really and better than the names being bandied around.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1443 on: October 05, 2016, 12:29:31 PM »
Seeing how well Stam has started at Reading that kind of thing isn't a bad shout but then you could argue Giggs would be worth a shot, or even Mellberg.

Online LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #1444 on: October 05, 2016, 12:29:54 PM »
Appointing Wagner reminds me of the time Kevin Lisbie scored a hat-trick for Charlton against Liverpool and I decided he was the next big thing so I put him straight in my fantasy football team.

The lesson there is don't let me appoint the manager.

Offline Pete

« Reply #1445 on: October 05, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »
I don't know anything about Wagner so had to look at his stats. He's managed Huddersfield for 44 games ( 2 short of a full championship season) and has won 62 points so far. If we're being really kind and assume that he would get 6 points form the next 2 games ( taking him up to a full season of games managed) he would be on 68 points, that wouldn't have made the play offs last season. If we're being unkind and giving him zero points from the last 2 games, they'd have finished below Brentford and Blues. Is he really that good or are we being seduced by his links to Klopp? I've no idea
I'd be reluctant to hire someone based essentially off an excellent first 11 games this season. Very dangerous. They've started well but I'd be shocked if they were still top 6 by May.

Bear in mind that he was working with someone else's squad last season; he bought a dozen new players in the summer. Took the squad on a bonding trip in the Swedish wilderness pre-season, and has them firing on all cylinders. I don't think they'll be top in May either, but wouldn't be surprised if they are thereabouts. It's a well-run club with a buzz about it at the moment. My impression is that he's focused on his 'project' and will see at least this season through. I can't see him coming to us.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #1446 on: October 05, 2016, 12:40:17 PM »
Appointing Wagner reminds me of the time Kevin Lisbie scored a hat-trick for Charlton against Liverpool and I decided he was the next big thing so I put him straight in my fantasy football team.

On the flip side, appointing him might mean we have the fittest,strongest squad in the Championship that doesn't blow out of its backside after 60 minutes and can alter things tactically with a fair rate of success during games.

No clue if this will happen but I'd tend to try and appoint someone who is doing the job now, in this league, rather than last year or the year before that.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #1447 on: October 05, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »

We used to do that with Coventry players. They'd have a good game against us, so we'd sign them.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #1448 on: October 05, 2016, 12:43:37 PM »
Dean Smith won twice from Jan to March/ April. I would love him to have a shot at it and really do well due to him being a genuine fan but would hate it if we ruined him.

How could we ever ruin anyone...

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #1449 on: October 05, 2016, 12:52:55 PM »

There's a massive difference between our feelings towards our local inferiors.

There is, I still think Sunderlands hatred of Newcastle/geordies with a bit of an inferiority complex thrown in, both in terms of Newcastle as a city and a football team is a different issue to what Bruce would face here, I don't worry about him facing similar levels of hatred at all.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:54:39 PM by hoyle87 »

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #1450 on: October 05, 2016, 12:53:43 PM »
I must confess reading that article about Bruce is concerning. We finally have a modernish set-up with Steve Round etc and the Dr looking at the sports science side of things. We need to bring somebody in who can fit in and add to that structure and not go backwards to the 'old' way of management.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1451 on: October 05, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
Steve Bunce!  buncey could be mistaken in translation and signed up ! He 'll have a bigger following than Sherwood and certainly knows how about fight !

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #1452 on: October 05, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »

On the flip side, appointing him might mean we have the fittest,strongest squad in the Championship that doesn't blow out of its backside after 60 minutes and can alter things tactically with a fair rate of success during games.

No clue if this will happen but I'd tend to try and appoint someone who is doing the job now, in this league, rather than last year or the year before that.

agree

interesting point about our lack of fitness, didnt we appoint a fitness coach called the hulk or something?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1453 on: October 05, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
Bruce would be an even worse appointment than Mcliesh

Really?

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #1454 on: October 05, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »
Why can't we go with someone from outside of the regular names? Everytime we're linked with so and so, yet what will they bring.

I voted Rowett because I like the way he thinks and sets the team up to play. Not bothered by the connection with them.

But my choice would be to throw money at Bergkamp. Assistant at Ajax and managing their elite U19. Make him an offer he can't really refuse.

It can't pan out any worse really and better than the names being bandied around.

You mean like Doctor Jo and Remi Garde

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal