collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245197 times)

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #1380 on: October 05, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »
Whether you like Pat Murphy or not, just be grateful the club is actually talking to him. Filter out the bits of him you don't like and just take the information.

Fwiw being a bit unlikeable is well within the job description.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #1381 on: October 05, 2016, 09:21:27 AM »
Christ the BBC are still dumping Pat Murphy on us? Havent we suffered enough?

With all due respect to your opinion, Pat Murphy has reported on us for years and is a well respected reporter who I like a lot. Despite his obvious annoyance at being pretty much cut out of the loop by Lerner (along with everyone else) I have found him respectful and informative since Dr X took over. But hey, it is all about opinions.

I like him too. He calls it as he sees it.
Only if it's anti Villa, he always been negative towards Villa, even before Lerner. With a leaning towards being a Stripey supporter, I'd prefer he stop with the cricket.

He isn't anti-Villa and he supports Chelsea.

He doesn't come across as Villa friendly

There's hardly been much positive Villa news for Murphy to report in the last 5 years or so.
Strange this morning - Radio 4 were discussing Villa's plight at 7am. A bit of an idiots' guide to our downfall (a club who were European Champions in 1982, now languishing in 19th place in the Championship after sacking all their managers.....) They had a West Midlands sport correspondent on ( can't remember who it was but I was surprised it wasn't Murphy), who compared Xia's twitter communication with Lerner's wall of silence. He was also asked to pinpoint the start of our decline and he said it was down to O'Neill walking out a few days before the start of the season. His money was on Bruce to be our new manager and commented on his Blues "baggage". Then they went straight to an interview with Brian Wilson who was discussing how mind-bending drugs brought on his mental health problems, prior to penning Pet Sounds.   

I'm picking up bad vibrations.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #1382 on: October 05, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
As he said to me back in the Ellis days, "I don't support them, I comment on what they're doing."

Who'd have thought eh, a Journalist actually doing their job.  :o

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #1383 on: October 05, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »

With all due respect to your opinion, Pat Murphy has reported on us for years and is a well respected reporter who I like a lot. Despite his obvious annoyance at being pretty much cut out of the loop by Lerner (along with everyone else) I have found him respectful and informative since Dr X took over. But hey, it is all about opinions.

Only if it's anti Villa, he always been negative towards Villa, even before Lerner. With a leaning towards being a Stripey supporter, I'd prefer he stop with the cricket.

There's hardly been much positive Villa news for Murphy to report in the last 5 years or so.
Strange this morning - Radio 4 were discussing Villa's plight at 7am. A bit of an idiots' guide to our downfall (a club who were European Champions in 1982, now languishing in 19th place in the Championship after sacking all their managers.....) They had a West Midlands sport correspondent on ( can't remember who it was but I was surprised it wasn't Murphy), who compared Xia's twitter communication with Lerner's wall of silence. He was also asked to pinpoint the start of our decline and he said it was down to O'Neill walking out a few days before the start of the season. His money was on Bruce to be our new manager and commented on his Blues "baggage". Then they went straight to an interview with Brian Wilson who was discussing how mind-bending drugs brought on his mental health problems, prior to penning Pet Sounds.   

Oh I say! :)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1384 on: October 05, 2016, 09:24:24 AM »

The silly chump of a Radio 4 presenter missed the ultimate "Heroes and Villains"  link from Villa to Brian Wilson.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #1385 on: October 05, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »
Rowett for me. I accidentally voted for Smith on the poll.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1386 on: October 05, 2016, 09:27:58 AM »
There is a big difference between an up and coming manager with a progressive way of playing and an up and coming manager that plays the game like everyone else.

I remember reading an article about up and coming managers when we needed to replace Houlier.  One was Lambert, who the writer described as a MON clone and the other was Howe who the writer said had his own ideas and ways of going about things.  Howe went to Burnley and it didn't come off but went back to Bournemouth to continue his development.  Another thing to consider is that Lambert reached the top as a player but Howe had his career cut short.  Did this create a different hunger to succeed?

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #1387 on: October 05, 2016, 09:31:49 AM »
Linking the Luton bloke is absolute madness. It's one thing doing a good job at Luton in League Two, managing us is a million miles away. If he's being linked because of their good performance against us in the cup and because they beat us then there will be hundreds of managers in the frame as we don't beat anyone.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1388 on: October 05, 2016, 09:33:07 AM »
Warnock can be removed from the poll now

Offline Boz

« Reply #1389 on: October 05, 2016, 09:37:27 AM »
As the poll included the recent England manager, how come Woy isn't in there? He's available, managed at club level, could bring his sidekick with him, job done  ;)

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #1390 on: October 05, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »
Warnock can be removed from the poll now
At least until the next merry go round in January.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #1391 on: October 05, 2016, 09:44:33 AM »
As the poll included the recent England manager, how come Woy isn't in there? He's available, managed at club level, could bring his sidekick with him, job done  ;)

I've just had a vision of a shell-shocked Hodgson shuffling into a press conference after getting sacked at Crimbo, uttering those immortal words: ‘I don’t know what I’m doing here’...  ::)

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #1392 on: October 05, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »
Do the people who want Sherwood back not remember that we had the least fit team in the division and he had no idea on tactics. He also engineered getting the job in the first place by popping up at VP and getting in with the Board.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #1393 on: October 05, 2016, 09:56:41 AM »
People wanting Sherwood back are of the opinion that he was hard done by, but they miss out the bits about him being a typical cockney chancer and blagger. They also fail to mention that he wouldn't know tactics if they bit him on the arse. Look at our tactics and performance in the cup final, embarrassing.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1394 on: October 05, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »
Moyes, Bruce, Mclaren...... Please make it stop.

Yes, this coming from someone who was shouting from the rooftops for Neil Warnock yesterday. And we were pleading with you to make it stop. But you didn't.

nope i only shouted for redknapp. never mentioned warnock

My mistake but my point still stands. Harry Redknapp is way, way past his useful life in management.

He hasn't worked in a while but then neither had Houllier who's probably been the best we;ve had since MON. He's won more than any of those mentioned above, plays with a certain amount of style or tries to, encourages and plays youth players and has a reputaton of taking no crap from indulged players. Those other three just seem more Lambert/TSM type appointments

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal