collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:25:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244481 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #1260 on: October 04, 2016, 07:02:49 PM »
every manager we've appointed since mo'n except Mr Houllier have at best been out of left field, wagner read lambert, The job is to big for them,

Steve Bruce is the safe pair of hands to get us promoted, give him a contract based on that, with a Brucie bonus for reaching the holy grail. and depending on how he achieves promotion the first offer of an extension to his contract.

Houllier was totally out of left field. He'd been out of front line management for how long? And, as it proved, with good reason as his health couldn't take it. Lambert was a logical choice in my mind. No-one could have predicted the abomination he became.

Mr Houllier was a stella manager, ie he had got form, and imo if not for his health would have got us right. the rest of the managers have been utter tosh,

I don't feel we can fuck about, Bruce is a safe shout.

I agree.  Bruce in for a couple of years (by which time we'll hopefully be secured in the Premier League) and then look at a more progressive option

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #1261 on: October 04, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »
Just finished work and saw Steve Cotterill has been linked? That's a wind up surely? I thought I supported Villa not Walsall.

Offline mike

« Reply #1262 on: October 04, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
Is this the first time we haven't been linked with Martinez?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1263 on: October 04, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
My guess is we'll stick it out with Clarke for a few weeks until Moyes gets sacked at Sunderland then Wyness and Round will call their old Everton mate to take the Villa job.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1264 on: October 04, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »
i think the  thing  is with  Bruce is this  would be his  biggest  job. He has a good  record  of promotion  on limited  resources . I think that affects  the style  of play. If he had been able  to go and buy more  quality , perhaps the playing style  would be different . If he does come, this  would  probably  be the first time  he has an  expensive  squad

His sides get worse the money he spends.

He did a good job at Sunderland in 09/10...then spent 11m on Connor Wickham and was sacked a few months later.

Same at Hulll...got them up, kept them up and to a cup final on limited resources and then relegated them after spending 30 odd million in summer 2014.

SHA was also the same.

I'd probably sum up my thoughts by saying I'd be o.k with him managing us in the championship and reckon he'll get us up in 18 months but I wouldn't be overjoyed at the prospect of him spending 50m in the prem and would hope Dr Tony would be ruthless and look for an upgrade.

Offline villadelph

• | UTV | 215 |
  • GM : 20.05.2025
« Reply #1265 on: October 04, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
i think the  thing  is with  Bruce is this  would be his  biggest  job. He has a good  record  of promotion  on limited  resources . I think that affects  the style  of play. If he had been able  to go and buy more  quality , perhaps the playing style  would be different . If he does come, this  would  probably  be the first time  he has an  expensive  squad

His sides get worse the money he spends.

He did a good job at Sunderland in 09/10...then spent 11m on Connor Wickham and was sacked a few months later.

Same at Hulll...got them up, kept them up and to a cup final on limited resources and then relegated them after spending 30 odd million in summer 2014.

SHA was also the same.

I'd probably sum up my thoughts by saying I'd be o.k with him managing us in the championship and reckon he'll get us up in 18 months but I wouldn't be overjoyed at the prospect of him spending 50m in the prem and would hope Dr Tony would be ruthless and look for an upgrade.

Good thing we've already bought the players then..

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1266 on: October 04, 2016, 07:41:56 PM »
At least we have a million strikers on our books...Bruce has a terrible record at buying them if you look at his transfer deals in the last 10 years.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #1267 on: October 04, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »
My guess is we'll stick it out with Clarke for a few weeks until Moyes gets sacked at Sunderland then Wyness and Round will call their old Everton mate to take the Villa job.

I wouldn't want Moyes now. A spent force.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1268 on: October 04, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »
The concern with Wagner is he is enjoying his Gregory moment.

JG was being touted as England manager -at a time when usually only good managers got the role- after our finish to 97/98 and start to the following season. Taken over a season, that form from Feb 08 to Feb 09 would have just about seen us champions.

We know the arse fell out of it soon after.

Wagner might have noble ideas about gegenpress and all that jazz, but it might be difficult to implement with statuesque, one paced midfielders like ours.

Wagner represents excitement; the unknown. If he pulls it off here, the rewards and prestige would be greater than what he'd experience at even most current PL clubs. Turning one of the giants of British football around and carving your own place in history is the sort of challenge that defines a career. If it all comes together for him, we'd take some stopping. But can he tough it out in a losing run?  My fear is he'd be another victim underestimating the size of the job, another promising career banjaxed.

Bruce has had plenty of good runs and bad runs. Good seasons and not so great ones. He's handled high profile players and recently got a team promoted when they were on a downer after relegation.

Also, we get the next appointment wrong and we're in League One. Bruce might have his limitations, but I don't think there'd be any danger of that on his watch. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:00:45 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #1269 on: October 04, 2016, 07:59:05 PM »
I'd love Dean Smith. Clearly one of us. Would be wonderful if he was a success.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #1270 on: October 04, 2016, 08:02:06 PM »
Does Stan mean he'll be ready when they go a tier lower?

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1271 on: October 04, 2016, 08:07:13 PM »

I wouldn't want Moyes now. A spent force.

Agreed. So far he has confirmed all our worst fears with his dour Sunderland performance. He seems like a manager in steep decline. Not what we need right now.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1272 on: October 04, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
Oh I hope not. There was once a time I'd have taken Moyes but after his latest jobs and the avoidance of our job, twice now, has left me feeling he's a bit meh.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #1273 on: October 04, 2016, 08:08:50 PM »
From Pat Murphy

At this stage the following are not under consideration for the @AVFCOfficial job... Allardyce,Pearson,McClaren,Giggs,Cotterill & Sherwood.

A 10 man list will be whittled down to 3 after due diligence & discreet soundings.No one tops that list at the moment.Bruce & SClarke on it.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #1274 on: October 04, 2016, 08:09:45 PM »
Pat Murphy has tweeted to say that there is a ten man shortlist that will be whittled down to three after "due diligence and discrete soundings". Allardyce, Sherwood, Pearson, McClaren, Giggs, Cotteril are not on the shortlist, Clarke and Bruce are.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal