collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Goldie.7
[Today at 05:16:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244489 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #915 on: October 03, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »
I can't imagine anyone here likes dodgy 'Arry at all, but he'd put the fear of god into that side. Needs must.

Wouldn't having somebody motivating them to play better give us a happier end result?

We've had nice managers, they haven't worked. Last one who actually looked liked you wouldn't cross him was Houllier. MON was also an unpleasant nasty git but he knew tactics and motivation. So does Redknapp

It's got nothing to do with being nice or nasty it's about being competent and tactically astute.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #916 on: October 03, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
Nope. Anyone but Mr Potato Head, and his nan's hair and his softely spoken interview manner and his dull crapp football

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #917 on: October 03, 2016, 07:27:42 PM »
I don't see anything twattish in it, Giggs is a good choice because he played for Fergie but that doesn't apply to Bruce, what makes the difference?  Giggs would be a massive gamble made for the wrong reason.

We need someone with experience who has a defined style of play that they trust and who is arrogant enough to know it's going to work even if it doesn't look like it is doing.

I can't give any examples because the "defined style of play" is the most important factor.  Once we know what we want to be then we can look at managers to fill our needs.  As an alternative I'd be tempted to try something ridiculous and totally out of our market by picking up someone who has been there and done it but either isn't working or is in a retirement job in China/USA.  Someone like Bielsa for example.  I know it's unlikely they'd join us but if Xia is as big a deal as we want him to be then maybe it's not quite so outlandish.
Im aware Steve Bruce played for United under Ferguson...my point was that Giggs spent 25 years winning every trophy going under the most successful manager ever..he might of picked up a thing or too along the way.

Or he might have picked up as much as Gary Neville. Or Paul Ince. Or Bryan Robson.

But I'm sure you're right, Giggs will be much better than them. Just because reasons.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #918 on: October 03, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »
Redknapp smells lots of transfer money, lots of transfers, lots of agents and lots of cuts being taken. I wouldn't have him or his accountant dog anywhere near Villa Park even if they offered to pay us.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #919 on: October 03, 2016, 07:29:32 PM »
I can't imagine anyone here likes dodgy 'Arry at all, but he'd put the fear of god into that side. Needs must.

Wouldn't having somebody motivating them to play better give us a happier end result?

We've had nice managers, they haven't worked. Last one who actually looked liked you wouldn't cross him was Houllier. MON was also an unpleasant nasty git but he knew tactics and motivation. So does Redknapp

It's got nothing to do with being nice or nasty it's about being competent and tactically astute.

you saying redknapp isn't? Compared to whom on the list? If you're a complete plank its hardly likely you'd get 30+ years as a manager

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #920 on: October 03, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »
I don't see anything twattish in it, Giggs is a good choice because he played for Fergie but that doesn't apply to Bruce, what makes the difference?  Giggs would be a massive gamble made for the wrong reason.

We need someone with experience who has a defined style of play that they trust and who is arrogant enough to know it's going to work even if it doesn't look like it is doing.

I can't give any examples because the "defined style of play" is the most important factor.  Once we know what we want to be then we can look at managers to fill our needs.  As an alternative I'd be tempted to try something ridiculous and totally out of our market by picking up someone who has been there and done it but either isn't working or is in a retirement job in China/USA.  Someone like Bielsa for example.  I know it's unlikely they'd join us but if Xia is as big a deal as we want him to be then maybe it's not quite so outlandish.
Im aware Steve Bruce played for United under Ferguson...my point was that Giggs spent 25 years winning every trophy going under the most successful manager ever..he might of picked up a thing or too along the way.

The bold bit is key, he might have picked something up bu given NO ONE who has played for Fergie has turned out to be a good manager themselves suggests that it just doesn't work that way.  There's a few who have the odd trophy but there's really nothing to suggest that Giggs is worth the risk.  Even if I thought he'd be a top manager I'd say we're exactly the wrong type of club for someone like that anyway.  I want someone in his late 50s/early 60s who has 15-20 seasons under his belt and has worked for a couple of massive clubs but who is either at a smaller club or has bene out of work for a few months.  Houllier was the right idea but the wrong man and we need to follow a similar path.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #921 on: October 03, 2016, 07:33:14 PM »
History is littered with planks who achieved fame and fortune.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #922 on: October 03, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »

you saying redknapp isn't? Compared to whom on the list? If you're a complete plank its hardly likely you'd get 30+ years as a manager

Yes but I'd say his last role suggests he was somewhat on the slide.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #923 on: October 03, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »

Promotions, 5th in the premier, trophies. My sort of plank.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #924 on: October 03, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »

Pretty dire in last 4/5 years though, which suggests he is past his best.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #925 on: October 03, 2016, 07:40:20 PM »

Yes but I'd say his last role suggests he was somewhat on the slide.

mebbe. but at the time QPR were being run by a madman and he still got promotion

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #926 on: October 03, 2016, 07:40:39 PM »

Hasn't he relegated or financially fucked up 3/4 clubs so far?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #927 on: October 03, 2016, 07:40:53 PM »
I am agreeing with you sickbeggar.  Some of the most successful men and women I have ever met have been thick - outside their specific field.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #928 on: October 03, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »
Any nutter wanting Sherwood should be banned from Villa Park.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #929 on: October 03, 2016, 07:42:26 PM »

Hasn't he relegated or financially fucked up 3/4 clubs so far?

well that's like claiming MON fucked us up financially. True to an extent but you need a prat in charge to allow it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal