collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Goldie.7
[Today at 05:16:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244493 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #735 on: October 03, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »
Can we also try not to worry too much about upsetting our delicate flowers?  They've not worried too much about upsetting us, and they're well paid to do a job that so far they clearly haven't. Yes, I know they're playing to their manager's orders but I'm sure whoever comes in will shout now and again won't they?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #736 on: October 03, 2016, 02:19:14 PM »
Well, we've done the young and hungry, the French tactician, the brash English southerner, the dour Scot, the Italian odd-ball and a handful of rubbish caretakers. I'd go for a non-nonsense, no excuses, belt and braces lunatic to frighten the squad back up the table.

Assuming that Laurent Blanc and Pep Guardiola aren't intereste 

You're right, between Remi Garde and Pep Guardiola there's absolutely nothing available, so let's hire NEIL WARNOCK. Because he'll be sarcastic to Ayew or something.

Feel free to suggest your chosen manager, it's a discussion forum

Well, literally anyone else who has been suggested would be better. Steve Bruce would be better. Sam Allardyce would be better. Anyone would be better.

Literally?

I dislike the fella as much as the next man, but he has a track record for doing exactly what we're looking for a manager to do at this point in time. We can worry about our Champions league prospects as soon as we're out of this bear pit. 

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #737 on: October 03, 2016, 02:19:24 PM »
Can we also try not to worry too much about upsetting our delicate flowers?

Has anybody suggested that we should worry about that?

Offline chrisf

« Reply #738 on: October 03, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »
Neil Warnock. Neil fucking Warnock.

No.
Promotion expert Neil fucking Warnock?

Yes.
I listened to him on the Danny Baker show the other week. Comes across very well. I suspect he might be as under rated as Allardyce - by which I mean highly under rated. His primary goal is achieving a team spirit and he's good at it. We need one.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #739 on: October 03, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
Warnock's been promoted twice to the Premier League, the last time in 2011 with QPR (and didn't that end well for everyone). Before that he was promoted to the top division for the first time in 2006 with Sheffield United. It's pretty hard to exaggerate how much the game has changed in the last five years, let alone the last 10.

He's past it, and he never had much of it to begin with. It's an embarrassing suggestion for the Villa.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #740 on: October 03, 2016, 02:23:46 PM »
Well, we've done the young and hungry, the French tactician, the brash English southerner, the dour Scot, the Italian odd-ball and a handful of rubbish caretakers. I'd go for a non-nonsense, no excuses, belt and braces lunatic to frighten the squad back up the table.

You're right, between Remi Garde and Pep Guardiola there's absolutely nothing available, so let's hire NEIL WARNOCK. Because he'll be sarcastic to Ayew or something.

Well, literally anyone else who has been suggested would be better. Steve Bruce would be better. Sam Allardyce would be better. Anyone would be better.

Literally?

I dislike the fella as much as the next man, but he has a track record for doing exactly what we're looking for a manager to do at this point in time. We can worry about our Champions league prospects as soon as we're out of this bear pit.

This nails how I feel. At the start of the season I wanted someone to revolutionise the playing style, get us up, keep us up and set in place a structure which would deliver us decades of success at the top level.

Now I just want someone, anyone, who will get us promoted. We can worry about what happens next at the time.

Warnock seems more likely than most other candidates to get us promoted, either this season or next.

Offline villadelph

• | UTV | 215 |
  • GM : 20.05.2025
« Reply #741 on: October 03, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
AVB?
McDermott?
Atkins?
Mowbray?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:28:35 PM by villadelph »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #742 on: October 03, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »
Warnock's been promoted twice to the Premier League, the last time in 2011 with QPR (and didn't that end well for everyone). Before that he was promoted to the top division for the first time in 2006 with Sheffield United. It's pretty hard to exaggerate how much the game has changed in the last five years, let alone the last 10.

He's past it, and he never had much of it to begin with. It's an embarrassing suggestion for the Villa.

Bearing in mind he was hugely succesful in his last job which was only a few months ago, saying that he's "past it" is nonsense.

By all means state your case why we should or shouldn't appoint someone, but don't just make stuff up, that damages the credibility of your argument.

Offline Monty

« Reply #743 on: October 03, 2016, 02:25:54 PM »

Literally?

This nails how I feel. At the start of the season I wanted someone to revolutionise the playing style, get us up, keep us up and set in place a structure which would deliver us decades of success at the top level.

Now I just want someone, anyone, who will get us promoted. We can worry about what happens next at the time.

Warnock seems more likely than most other candidates to get us promoted, either this season or next.

Why? How does what he does look like it'll succeed in this year's Championship? How will he get the most out of our players? How is he going to build a team to help not just get back to the Premier League but stay there?

Offline Monty

« Reply #744 on: October 03, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »

Bearing in mind he was hugely succesful in his last job which was only a few months ago, saying that he's "past it" is nonsense.

By all means state your case why we should or shouldn't appoint someone, but don't just make stuff up, that damages the credibility of your argument.

Oh woohoo, he was alright at Rotherham. Come on, this is just not serious.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #745 on: October 03, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »
He wasn't "alright", he was spectacularly succesful. He took a team that looked certain to go down and kept them up with ease.

Again, just denying this because it doesn't suit your argument does you no favours.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #746 on: October 03, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »
Not sure i'd want Warnock, but months ago I read an article on him and what he was doing at Rotherham as he performed a minor miracle by keeping them up comfortably and it was the kind of thing we need. Just wish I could find the article again.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #747 on: October 03, 2016, 02:29:33 PM »

Oh woohoo, he was alright at Rotherham. Come on, this is just not serious.

To be honest, your suggestion of Allardyce is just as depressing.

Offline Monty

« Reply #748 on: October 03, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »
He wasn't "alright", he was spectacularly succesful. He took a team that looked certain to go down and kept them up with ease.

Again, just denying this because it doesn't suit your argument does you no favours.

So he could keep us in the Championship? Yay.

I'm not denying he did well at Rotherham, but if you're asking if I'm belittling his recent record? Yeah, sure. I'm not impressed by Neil Warnock's first decent performance in any job for five years, and it was a relegation fight in the second division. Sorry.

Chico, I don't want Allardyce, but his record is demonstrably better than Warnock's, and what I've read about his actual management methods is much better too.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #749 on: October 03, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »

Literally?

Why? How does what he does look like it'll succeed in this year's Championship? How will he get the most out of our players? How is he going to build a team to help not just get back to the Premier League but stay there?

I couldn't give two fucks about how we stay in the Premier League. Let's just get there and worry about it afterwards.

What he does suggests that he would be succesful to me as he is recognised for making teams battle which is what we are most lacking. We already have one of the most talented squads in the league, our problem isn't that they are not good enough, it's that they aren't performing anywhere near to their potential. He strikes me as the sort of manager that would sort that out.

If he achieved the sort of turnaround he got at Rotherham with us, we would still be in with a chance of automatic promotion, never mind the playoffs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal