collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[June 03, 2024, 10:31:44 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by pauliewalnuts
[June 03, 2024, 11:15:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by adrenachrome
[June 03, 2024, 11:14:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245181 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #225 on: October 01, 2016, 11:55:06 PM »
The Rangers manager wouldn't be a bad shout.

Paget would be a better bet than this fool.

Offline 260475

« Reply #226 on: October 01, 2016, 11:56:59 PM »
As you can see I have nothing like the points of some earlier posters, yet here is my take on the 'noise' on this subject.....

It isn't about one man, or replacing him/her with another. There is a selection process and criteria / performance measures that have to be put in place when there is so much at stake. (hard cash, plus the clubs reputation / history whatever). Presumably these are in place now and the appointed mgt team are measured against them. It would be highly unlikely for any triggers (sic) to apply after 10 or so games. Ridiculously expensive to change things too early. Might be a view that the season should run out and then there is a measurement point or adjustment (i.e. change as necessary).

The set up and flow through of talent goes much deeper than whether we are 433 this week, have scouted the opposition, selected player a or b again despite the fans vitriol / preference, manager is clued up or clueless (highly subjective). There needs to be a whole programme that runs for maybe 3 years (to say turn u21s into '24s'). There is a board reporting to the chairman with significant football experience who will know this and are working towards building a design of club, ethos, way we play etc. for the long term.

There was a real problem with the attitudes last season, and super progress was made in the close season in weeding out, letting contracts run off, selling off or retiring most of them. (couple left I know but at least they are out of the way.) Maybe some of the new recruits were a bit hastily selected, and certainly not cheaply, not a bad holding pattern for now, gotta work them harder with systems and tactics.

That's my take so far, like most posters would love to see Villa straight back up, realistically it isn't going to happen yet, and throwing money at it so soon isn't the answer.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #227 on: October 01, 2016, 11:59:42 PM »
As you can see I have nothing like the points of some earlier posters, yet here is my take on the 'noise' on this subject.....

It isn't about one man, or replacing him/her with another. There is a selection process and criteria / performance measures that have to be put in place when there is so much at stake. (hard cash, plus the clubs reputation / history whatever). Presumably these are in place now and the appointed mgt team are measured against them. It would be highly unlikely for any triggers (sic) to apply after 10 or so games. Ridiculously expensive to change things too early. Might be a view that the season should run out and then there is a measurement point or adjustment (i.e. change as necessary).

The set up and flow through of talent goes much deeper than whether we are 433 this week, have scouted the opposition, selected player a or b again despite the fans vitriol / preference, manager is clued up or clueless (highly subjective). There needs to be a whole programme that runs for maybe 3 years (to say turn u21s into '24s'). There is a board reporting to the chairman with significant football experience who will know this and are working towards building a design of club, ethos, way we play etc. for the long term.

There was a real problem with the attitudes last season, and super progress was made in the close season in weeding out, letting contracts run off, selling off or retiring most of them. (couple left I know but at least they are out of the way.) Maybe some of the new recruits were a bit hastily selected, and certainly not cheaply, not a bad holding pattern for now, gotta work them harder with systems and tactics.

That's my take so far, like most posters would love to see Villa straight back up, realistically it isn't going to happen yet, and throwing money at it so soon isn't the answer.
Just sack the tosser.

Offline 260475

« Reply #228 on: October 02, 2016, 12:06:31 AM »
Ok

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #229 on: October 02, 2016, 12:07:24 AM »
I'd prefer Fat Sam but too much shit around him at the moment so Bruce for me.

My thoughts excately.  Rowet could do a good job too but its highly unlikely he would leave the Blues for us right now sadly.  If we made a change right now we just need a steady pair of hands with experience and some personality to motivate this useless bunch.  Think Bruce at least for awhile could get us heading the right direction.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #230 on: October 02, 2016, 12:09:39 AM »
Ok
Weve actually got rid of some of our better players this summer, the total shite still remain, and i dont think i need to name them.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #231 on: October 02, 2016, 12:11:49 AM »
A lot depends how deeply you believe we are in the mire. After all, we may soon click or gel and go storming up the table.

If you are less sanguine however, then Colin is most assuredly a candidate,  hypothetically.

In practice, Tony would never appoint Colin, and is more likely to go for Sven or Glen.

I would have thought Wyness and Round would both have quite a big say in any managerial appointment as well. 

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #232 on: October 02, 2016, 12:16:53 AM »
I would think Wyness and Round would be very much leading the process.  The scary thing is with significantly less resource and talent, Monk and Stam are 6 to 8 points above us already.  Even Burton are well above us.  We have had enough time, we need a manager who knows how he wants to set up and works in that consistently.  An identity on the field.  RDM seems to be in the Sherwood tactical waste land. Bruce would be a depressingly safe option that we would all forgive after a few wins. He would have us in the play offs come May I am certain.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #233 on: October 02, 2016, 12:17:52 AM »
It's a great post 260465 (you need a catchier name!), but all of the deep work you suggest would be wasted of we persist with a manager who looks from arse to elbow and elbow to arse and cannot say which is which (to continue Jimbo's Orwell theme).

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #234 on: October 02, 2016, 12:19:19 AM »

My thoughts excately.  Rowet could do a good job too but its highly unlikely he would leave the Blues for us right now sadly.  If we made a change right now we just need a steady pair of hands with experience and some personality to motivate this useless bunch.  Think Bruce at least for awhile could get us heading the right direction.

I disagree, I think he would walk barefoot over broken glass to come here.  I just don't think he's done remotely enough to prove that he's the man we need.  He's having a very similar start to last season,which nosedived (pun intended) significantly.  He's nowhere near ready to take on a big club, likewise Smith at Brentford.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2016, 12:21:32 AM »

That would be all fine and dandy if we were merely seeing the inconsistency you often get with a team in transition.

Win two, lose three.  One good half, a shit second one. Play well one game, don't turn up the next one. And so on and so on.

But we look a shambles -even in games where we have created chances, we have looked disjointed.  The thing is that now, we are actually looking worse game by game.

Westwood apart, it isn't the cat vomit that got us relegated scuppering us this season. It's Di Matteo's own players. Gollini, Elphick, Jedincack -the spine of the team is muck.  In Gollini's case, you could argue that more time might see him improve. The other two are 29 and 32 respectively. I'm not sure there is a whole pile more to come from them.

If it was the inconsistency of youth or a mercurial forward letting us down, I'd say most could wear it with the hope of getting better. When the foundations are duff, there really isn't an excuse to keep on the master builder.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2016, 12:26:55 AM »
Rowett is doing a staggeringly good job there. They sign no one of note and he still gets them in the top 10 last season and will almost certainly do the same this season. From what I can remember they've spent more than 500K on 2 players in the last 5 years.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2016, 12:30:05 AM »

I disagree, I think he would walk barefoot over broken glass to come here.  I just don't think he's done remotely enough to prove that he's the man we need.  He's having a very similar start to last season,which nosedived (pun intended) significantly.  He's nowhere near ready to take on a big club, likewise Smith at Brentford.

True but in recent seasons they've hardly been promotion contenders so I do think the way he's steadied the ships there and has them competing again is to be comended.  But you are right maybe he needs another good season under his belt before we take a chance on him.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2016, 12:30:31 AM »
Pretty much every single manager in the division with the exception of Benitez would be taking on a squad with significantly more ability and potential to the one they would be leaving behind. It's set up for the right bloke. If we are willing to pay the kind of money we did for RM and Kodjia then we should be willing to make the required investment in getting in the right manager.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2016, 12:32:36 AM »
I'm still in the belief that the RDM/Clarke 'partnership' broke down the day Kevin Bond joined us.

My guess is that RDM started believing his own press releases and with Bond, , intentionally or not, isolated Clarke. From looking at the dugout during games, he may as well be the kit man. I imagine one day the truth will come out in the wash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal