collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Sat 24/9 5.30PM Pre-Match Thread  (Read 27957 times)

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
Re: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Sat 24/9 5.30PM Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »
This is my concern too

Still, Westwood will get all the blame regardless

Hopefully Tshibola's energy can start making a difference soon

Thing is I don't think Westwood is that bad, he's just an easy and lazy target. I've seen him do alright, and more importantly a lot of players do a lot worse than him. In the game against Brentford he was the only player in the second half driving to get some urgency into the team. He's clearly not a combative midfielder, that should be Jedinak's role, but he's having to cover that role.

Apart from having no defensive qualities, only possessing a perfunctory standard of passing and lacking zero desire to discover the part of the playing field known as the opposition's 18yd box Westwood is a star in the making and we should continue to allow him to perform a significant role in our demise. Oh, did I mention his unerring ability to put the rare shots he does have wide of the target or his laughable set pieces? Lazy indeed.

His pass completion rate this season is around 80%, which suggests at a minimum he keeps things ticking over. As I said against Brentford he was the one midfielder trying to drive us forward. I'm not saying he's the best player in the world, but he is unfairly targeted every time we play poorly. If he was playing in a role where his main focus was distribution of the ball he'd be fine.

But what role is that? The movement of the ball like a hot potato isn't sufficient unless he has other skill sets to complement it. Should he sit deep as cover for the back line? He can't do it. Positionally he is relatively disciplined but he lacks the physical (and mental) tenacity to provide protection. Can he provide the link between the midfield and forward line? Does he get ahead of the strikers, making intelligent runs into the danger areas? He should be plying his trade at Crewe not Villa.
Couldn't of put it better myself. He is woeful. Has nothing about his game.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2016, 04:04:54 PM »
I hope we get another result and take the piss out of these self important nob sacks. Pretty certain they will hold an anniversary dinner 10 years to the day when we relegated them (the first time not the second) where they all pledge undying hatred of us and swear by their first born sons that they will have revenge, whatever it takes.

Pathetic bunch of fat, deluded pricks.

I see one of their official mouthpieces Martin Hardy had a dig at us in an article in the I today....he wrote one last season aswell.

What Newcastle fans don't realise is on any other ground that day they'd have been hilarity and songs about them going down...do they really think it would have been any different at Old Trafford or Blackburn with Shearer in charge?

Maybe the banners point is a debatable one but at least they were quite funny.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2016, 04:07:10 PM »
I am going for a draw,1-1,although if Clark is playing for them i would fancy us to edge it

If he does play, it'll be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets.

Hopefully a bad one. I used to like Clark, but he was a key contributor to our downfall last season and couldn't wait to jump ship this summer. His recent interviews about Newcastle being a "massive club" have left a sour taste in the mouth too.

Of course Clark would say that, he's hardly likely to be negative to the club he's just joined. I really don't see the point of getting worked up about that.

He was a good club servant who worked his way through the ranks here but aside from a couple of months form I never really thought he was good enough.

Not sure he'll even play, he's been on the bench a fair bit since signing.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2016, 04:27:54 PM »
Is there any hint of whether McCormack will be back tomorrow?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2016, 05:12:29 PM »
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-owe-aston-villa-11921299

They're still banging on about that then? Fucking drama queens, the lot of them.

Do they not think the reason we were celebrating might actually be thar it was our first point in 3 months? Quinn is a twat.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2016, 05:38:28 PM »
Bloody Arsenal-Chelsea game clashes with this so it's going to be a job finding somewhere that shows it 'ere in Lahndahn.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »
Just needed to briefly join the Westwood debate. Westwood's pass completion stats are what help him to keep convincing some that he's ok. But the point about him, especially in his position, is not what he does but what he doesn't or can't do. He is physically and psychologically weak and we will continue to be ineffective while he is in the team. This last remark also goes for Bacuna who has tried hard this season but belongs in a lower league.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
Just needed to briefly join the Westwood debate. Westwood's pass completion stats are what help him to keep convincing some that he's ok. But the point about him, especially in his position, is not what he does but what he doesn't or can't do. He is physically and psychologically weak and we will continue to be ineffective while he is in the team. This last remark also goes for Bacuna who has tried hard this season but belongs in a lower league.

Spot on.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2016, 07:44:22 PM »
Not at the game tomorrow as on holiday. A couple of observations. Quinn is a fat f-ck Geordie wannabee.  The "TOWN" army are legends in their own mind. They talk about Villa having no class because of a few bedsheets. Have they been out in their own town on a Friday/Saturday night? The whole place washed up by the north sea has no class, including their Kawasaki and oompah loompah dialect. Watch out for the arrogance of the "Town" army marching down Trinity Road as they did before the last home match of last season. I personally have seen no other club in my 40+ years of supporting the Villa do that! Please Villa win this game and shut the sad "town" f-cks up

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »
FFS if I get sent one more article about a bloody bed sheet in 2009 I'm going to explode. Every year the stories get more and more ridiculous, the eruption of sheer joy at the final whistle like we'd won the world cup, the champagne corks flying and street parties that followed long into the night, the civic reception for our victorious squad - just fuckin fuck off Newcastle. And another thing if all you can do is spout off constant jabs about our home attendances have a look at yours prior to ground expansion, average gates at St James' Park in the 80s and 90s were pathetic. If we're going to hit 6 at home this season I really hope its tomorrow.
Fuck me I wouldn't want to be a Geordie sat in front of you tomorrow!

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2016, 08:13:34 PM »
Obviously 'Toon' fans come on this site to see what we are saying...Well from Clash City Rocker all I can say is this..........Newcastle utd.....their fans and some idiot radio presenters mean absolutely nothing to me. ..You didn't get relegated at Villa park you got relegated after a totally shite  season....( being a villa fan I should know plenty about that) I don't see playing ' the 'Toon' as important. Yep solving the middle East crisis and finding a cure for cancer is important but playing a football match doesn't really stack up in the scheme of things. As for that idiot of a washed up footballer ( of limited talent...yes Quinn you would never have been fit to lace George best's boots ) trying to hype up a match where a team got mathematically relegated all I can say is....you are an awlful radio presenter...possibly a worse radio presenter than you were a footballer. Grow up Quinn and look at the bigger picture there is plenty of strife in the world without total idiots like yourself trying to inflame such trivial things as football matches...M Quinn you should be ashamed of yourself.   So Micky should you stay or should you go...that's a rhetorical question...just f### off.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2016, 08:16:51 PM »
Just reading the comments on the Newcastle Chronicle and apparently we are the ones that are obsessed about them...very odd set of supporter's.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
You aint seen nothing fatter than the mighty Quinn.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2016, 08:24:41 PM »
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-owe-aston-villa-11921299

They're still banging on about that then? Fucking drama queens, the lot of them.

Do they not think the reason we were celebrating might actually be thar it was our first point in 3 months? Quinn is a twat.

I heard him a day or two after "the event". To me, it came across that his gripe was we'd not rolled over and given them the three points, as we were doomed anyway. And that we were the ones that wouldn't let 2009 go in the run-up to the game. At no point did he mention that for the second time in seven years, when their fate could be altered with three points, they'd been utter blose at Villa Park.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2016, 08:41:12 PM »
FFS if I get sent one more article about a bloody bed sheet in 2009 I'm going to explode. Every year the stories get more and more ridiculous, the eruption of sheer joy at the final whistle like we'd won the world cup, the champagne corks flying and street parties that followed long into the night, the civic reception for our victorious squad - just fuckin fuck off Newcastle. And another thing if all you can do is spout off constant jabs about our home attendances have a look at yours prior to ground expansion, average gates at St James' Park in the 80s and 90s were pathetic. If we're going to hit 6 at home this season I really hope its tomorrow.
Fuck me I wouldn't want to be a Geordie sat in front of you tomorrow!
Its been a tough week Edge, I'm calmer now good luck to the Toon Army and their magnificent followers 😅

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal