collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Sat 24/9 5.30PM Pre-Match Thread  (Read 28101 times)

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
Re: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Sat 24/9 5.30PM Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »
I am going for a draw,1-1,although if Clark is playing for them i would fancy us to edge it

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2016, 09:34:08 AM »
I am going for a draw,1-1,although if Clark is playing for them i would fancy us to edge it

If he does play, it'll be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
One thing's for absolute certain about this game, if we sit back to protect a lead we will end up without a lead.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
I hope we get another result and take the piss out of these self important nob sacks. Pretty certain they will hold an anniversary dinner 10 years to the day when we relegated them (the first time not the second) where they all pledge undying hatred of us and swear by their first born sons that they will have revenge, whatever it takes.

Pathetic bunch of fat, deluded pricks.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2016, 11:49:19 AM »
2-2 after being 2-0 up.

Howlers from Westwood and Gollini letting the dreadful Jawdies back into it.

Wouldn't it be great to win this and win it well, though. Might just break the Mags altogether.

We'd probably have to ban them from future visits to Villa Park, just for their own mental wellbeing.

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2016, 11:53:21 AM »
0-0. A nervy 0-0.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »

Indifference you would think. If he's clapped I'd be struggling to think what for, and if he's booed likewise.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2016, 12:47:26 PM »

Hopefully a bad one. I used to like Clark, but he was a key contributor to our downfall last season and couldn't wait to jump ship this summer. His recent interviews about Newcastle being a "massive club" have left a sour taste in the mouth too.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2016, 12:51:55 PM »

Hopefully a bad one. I used to like Clark, but he was a key contributor to our downfall last season and couldn't wait to jump ship this summer. His recent interviews about Newcastle being a "massive club" have left a sour taste in the mouth too.

Massive Club ?

They've won what since 1969 ?  and I think that's their only trophy since the 1950s.

I said yesterday, I've not really got anything against Newcastle, but I've always thought they've always been the blue eyed boys of English football.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2016, 12:54:40 PM »
Probably just the normal going through the motions statements that you normally get with players at new clubs. He played quite a few games for us, was largely a bit shit and to my delight he left. I think complete ignorance of him would be the best and most likely thing. I think if he plays, he'll make his usual cock up, and we should get a draw 1-1, if he doesn't play I'm not confident and think it'll be 0-1.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »
Exactly castlefields_villan.

This was in the BM yesterday and pretty much echoes that sentiment;

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-comment-ciaran-clark-11924556

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
This is my concern too

Still, Westwood will get all the blame regardless

Hopefully Tshibola's energy can start making a difference soon

Thing is I don't think Westwood is that bad, he's just an easy and lazy target. I've seen him do alright, and more importantly a lot of players do a lot worse than him. In the game against Brentford he was the only player in the second half driving to get some urgency into the team. He's clearly not a combative midfielder, that should be Jedinak's role, but he's having to cover that role.

Apart from having no defensive qualities, only possessing a perfunctory standard of passing and lacking zero desire to discover the part of the playing field known as the opposition's 18yd box Westwood is a star in the making and we should continue to allow him to perform a significant role in our demise. Oh, did I mention his unerring ability to put the rare shots he does have wide of the target or his laughable set pieces? Lazy indeed.

His pass completion rate this season is around 80%, which suggests at a minimum he keeps things ticking over. As I said against Brentford he was the one midfielder trying to drive us forward. I'm not saying he's the best player in the world, but he is unfairly targeted every time we play poorly. If he was playing in a role where his main focus was distribution of the ball he'd be fine.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2016, 01:25:40 PM »

Massive Club ?

They've won what since 1969 ?  and I think that's their only trophy since the 1950s.

I said yesterday, I've not really got anything against Newcastle, but I've always thought they've always been the blue eyed boys of English football.

They are the only ones who think that to be fair.  They like to think they are everyone's "second favourite team" and it doesn't help that the media constantly peddle that myth and go on about how great their supporters are.  It's why they react so badly when they are criticised and still hold a grudge against us for a couple of banners.   

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
FFS if I get sent one more article about a bloody bed sheet in 2009 I'm going to explode. Every year the stories get more and more ridiculous, the eruption of sheer joy at the final whistle like we'd won the world cup, the champagne corks flying and street parties that followed long into the night, the civic reception for our victorious squad - just fuckin fuck off Newcastle. And another thing if all you can do is spout off constant jabs about our home attendances have a look at yours prior to ground expansion, average gates at St James' Park in the 80s and 90s were pathetic. If we're going to hit 6 at home this season I really hope its tomorrow.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »
This is my concern too

Still, Westwood will get all the blame regardless

Hopefully Tshibola's energy can start making a difference soon

Thing is I don't think Westwood is that bad, he's just an easy and lazy target. I've seen him do alright, and more importantly a lot of players do a lot worse than him. In the game against Brentford he was the only player in the second half driving to get some urgency into the team. He's clearly not a combative midfielder, that should be Jedinak's role, but he's having to cover that role.

Apart from having no defensive qualities, only possessing a perfunctory standard of passing and lacking zero desire to discover the part of the playing field known as the opposition's 18yd box Westwood is a star in the making and we should continue to allow him to perform a significant role in our demise. Oh, did I mention his unerring ability to put the rare shots he does have wide of the target or his laughable set pieces? Lazy indeed.

His pass completion rate this season is around 80%, which suggests at a minimum he keeps things ticking over. As I said against Brentford he was the one midfielder trying to drive us forward. I'm not saying he's the best player in the world, but he is unfairly targeted every time we play poorly. If he was playing in a role where his main focus was distribution of the ball he'd be fine.

But what role is that? The movement of the ball like a hot potato isn't sufficient unless he has other skill sets to complement it. Should he sit deep as cover for the back line? He can't do it. Positionally he is relatively disciplined but he lacks the physical (and mental) tenacity to provide protection. Can he provide the link between the midfield and forward line? Does he get ahead of the strikers, making intelligent runs into the danger areas? He should be plying his trade at Crewe not Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal