collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v (Brian Clough's) Leeds - 1974  (Read 6228 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

Villa v (Brian Clough's) Leeds - 1974
« on: August 23, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
I know this has been discussed on here before, but I was chatting to a friend about this game a few days ago.

I seem to remember for an evening game, played in early August, we had a decent attendance of just under 30,000.  I remember sitting in the Trinity Road Enclosure and seeing so many players of years gone by.  My main memories are Brian Clough walking along the touchline and getting quite a reception from those near me and Ray Graydon missing two first half penalties and almost being "booed" by the Holte End.

Anybody else care to share in any memories of this evening/game ?

Offline Rudy65

Re: Villa v (Brian Clough's) Leeds - 1974
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
I was 9. The match was played to celebrate our centenary

Gutted that my favourite player, RG missed two penalties. David Harvey saved one and the other went over the bar, as I recall

Leeds were reigning league champs and with Clough having just joined, their visit was a real attraction for success starved villa fans.

Villa scored in injury time and the rumour was the ref played over time to allow us to score.

Re: Villa v (Brian Clough's) Leeds - Centenary Celebration 1974
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »

Gutted that my favourite player, RG missed two penalties. David Harvey saved one and the other went over the bar, as I recall

Leeds were reigning league champs and with Clough having just joined, their visit was a real attraction for success starved villa fans.

Villa scored in injury time and the rumour was the ref played over time to allow us to score.

Yes, I seem to remember the two penalties going how you said, JPA is the only other player I can think of who'se missed two penalties in the same game.  I remember we got a late consolation, but don't remember it being in injury time.  Although we lost, it was quite an occasion though.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:06:03 PM »
Wasn't it one of Clough's only wins as manager of Leeds?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:31:06 PM »
Have heard a number of times that Graydon was not a fans favourite for long periods of his tenure at Villa Park.  Not sure on that one, he was certainly one of my favourites.

On the other hand I could never quite understand how the likes Chico was highly rated by the fans.  Certainly Saunders never quite saw him as a top division player.  Am I being unfair?

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:36:53 PM »
Have heard a number of times that Graydon was not a fans favourite for long periods of his tenure at Villa Park.  Not sure on that one, he was certainly one of my favourites.

On the other hand I could never quite understand how the likes Chico was highly rated by the fans.  Certainly Saunders never quite saw him as a top division player.  Am I being unfair?
Graydon was my favourite player and from memory well loved by us all. Given his high scoring rate, winner in the 75 LC, he is unlucky not to be compared to some of other heroes of that era, Little, Gray etc.

Hamiltion was on his last legs when Ron arrived in 74 although he stuck around for another 2 or 3 seasons. Hamilton was not a hard working player which wouldnt have endeared him to Ron. That and the long hair!

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 08:42:20 PM »
Rudy,

I would agree that Brian Little appears to get the highest of ratings from most Villa fans. 

He scored  big goals in big  matches so perhaps  deserved, he also had  some shocking outings like Stoke Away just after the Rangers friendly - Gray was injured and he had  lead  in his boots all afternoon.  We lost 1-0, missed a penalty on what was Shilton's debut for the clayheads.  Was going to say he was a poor man's player to someone else but I won't otherwise would get barred off his site xxx (even though I am sure many others probably agree).

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:57:12 AM »

He was excellent in our 74-75 promotion season, and also scored the winner v Norwich in the 1975 League cup final (albeit from a rebound from a penalty). but did seem to find the step up to the "First Division" as it was called back then a bit too much, i remember a pre-season friendly where he shot wildly over the bar to jeers of "What the F******g hell was that" from the Holte, a bit unkind i thought at the time.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 10:01:24 AM »
Yes, you're right, he was a little under rated but he was excellent in our 1974-75 surge back to the big time and he'd been good in the three years before that.  He also supplied the cross for Andy Gray's winning goal against Man Utd in November 1976.  That 76-77 would've been his last season with us - anyone know how many games he played that season ? I'd guess it was over 30.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 10:08:59 AM »

He was excellent in our 74-75 promotion season, and also scored the winner v Norwich in the 1975 League cup final (albeit from a rebound from a penalty). but did seem to find the step up to the "First Division" as it was called back then a bit too much, i remember a pre-season friendly where he shot wildly over the bar to jeers of "What the F******g hell was that" from the Holte, a bit unkind i thought at the time.

He was perfectly good until he was injured playing in a local derby. You'll never guess the opposition.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »

He was perfectly good until he was injured playing in a local derby. You'll never guess the opposition.
[/b]

I don't remember that Dave, which is unusual for me as I normally remember anything that happened in the 1970s a lot better than what happened yesterday.

I seem to remember in 1976-77 we played Blues at home in September and away in May, and the Albion away in October/November and at home in May.  So I doubt it would've happened in either of the games at the end of the season ?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »
...did seem to find the step up to the "First Division" as it was called back then a bit too much...

Check Ray Graydons career stats here, a consistent 1 goal every 3 games scorer across all three divisions.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football/aston-villa-fc/ray-graydon-9866/league-appearances_a14892/

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 01:52:37 PM »

Wasn't the programme (which contained a very high quality re-print of our first ever programme) voted programme of the season or somesuch, it was very good for its day.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »

Wasn't the programme (which contained a very high quality re-print of our first ever programme) voted programme of the season or somesuch, it was very good for its day.
[/b]

Yes, I remember that and I must have a couple of copies of it in the garage (where all my 30 years of Villa programmes are stored in a box).  I used to buy 2 programmes for each home game back in the day !

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »

I didn't go to that game but my dad did- in the Brummie Rd with Albion neighbours. He came back a bit pissed and angry - was it Cantello who fouled him (not generally a dirty player IIRC)?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal