collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v (Brian Clough's) Leeds - 1974  (Read 6227 times)

Offline Rudy65

Re: Villa v (Brian Clough's) Leeds - 1974
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 07:39:53 PM »
...did seem to find the step up to the "First Division" as it was called back then a bit too much...

Check Ray Graydons career stats here, a consistent 1 goal every 3 games scorer across all three divisions.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football/aston-villa-fc/ray-graydon-9866/league-appearances_a14892/

Good stats. Looks like his 12 goals in 75/76 was a big reason why we didnt get relegated

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 07:59:11 PM »
Ray Gradon was a perfect fit for Aston Villa and vice versa.  A great servant of the club, and  enjoyable to watch.  He owes us nothing.  A player that was exciting to watch as he got the ball and barreled goalwards.  Scored some fabulous goals and always gave 100%, with and ability to beat his man and conclude with a good cross.  I wish we had his like today.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 08:11:06 PM »
Ray Graydon cemented my wavering allegiance in the cup final of 75, I was only 8 but on that day the deal was done.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
I think the way he slotted in for the 2nd replay says it all.  He was not a typical wide player he used to  love to use the width of the pitch.  Pity he was in his swansong years when we got promoted back to Division 1. 

Offline steamer

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
One of my ever favourites.
I could not understand at the time why so many  fans would slag off Graydon.
O.K he was not the toughest of tacklers and would not jump into a last ditch tackle.
But as many have said his goals, crosses, were indispensable in our road back to the 1st Division.
1st season back ., I think (without checking) he scored 15 goals.
I was behind the goal at Wembley when he controlled the rebound and slotted the winner home.
Melvin, from the Holte enders in the sky and I and hugged danced together (nice one Melv)
Deserves a place in our Hall of Memory.

Offline Pete

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 12:40:06 PM »
O.K he was not the toughest of tacklers and would not jump into a last ditch tackle.
But as many have said his goals, crosses, were indispensable in our road back to the 1st Division.
I was behind the goal at Wembley when he controlled the rebound and slotted the winner home.
Melvin, from the Holte enders in the sky and I and hugged danced together (nice one Melv)

First season back he was our top scorer, 12 league goals. He also scored our first ever goal in European competition I think, against Antwerp.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 03:02:21 PM »

First season back he was our top scorer, 12 league goals. He also scored our first ever goal in European competition I think, against Antwerp.

He did score our goal in Antwerp. Happy memories of that first trip watching us in Europe getting the old Dover- Ostend ferry, even if the tie was as good as over by half time in the 1st leg. I've got half a dozen copies of the big red and white programme for the game.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 09:44:41 PM »
Who is the old fella next to Ron..I've seen him in quite a few pictures.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 09:49:08 PM »

Pop Ward. He was a bit of a lucky mascot/confidante for the team. It's the one on his right I haven't got a clue about. 

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 09:43:50 PM »
Here’s a couple of match reports to jog the memory

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 10:15:42 PM »
Trevor Cherry gave me his sock tabs after this game.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
I went to this game, there was indeed a reprint in the programme of our first ever programme versus Blackburn Rovers in 1906.

I seem to remember Ron Saunders parading the Manager Of The Year award before the game?  I could be wrong!

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »

Pop Ward. He was a bit of a lucky mascot/confidante for the team. It's the one on his right I haven't got a clue about.

I think the guy on the extreme right of the photo may be Walter Cowans (Sid's old man) who was kit man for some time.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »
I went to this game, there was indeed a reprint in the programme of our first ever programme versus Blackburn Rovers in 1906.

I seem to remember Ron Saunders parading the Manager Of The Year award before the game?  I could be wrong!
[/b]

Didn't we play Leeds in the first game of the following season (back in the first division) I thought Ron was manager of the year for 1974-75, so would it have been this game ?

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »
Going back to players who were favorites with the fans… I reckon a lot of it was down to how they looked. Chico Hamilton, Willie Anderson, Pat McMahon and Brian Little all looked pretty cool (in a  Beatles/George Best kind of way) so the younger fans, like myself, cut them a lot of slack because they looked the ticket. Ray Graydon - who was a fine player and perhaps as instrumental in our resurgence as any of the aforementioned looked a bit like someones dad or uncle so he didn't get the adoration of the youngsters. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal