collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:19:08 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:17:29 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:11:10 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 11:49:23 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:19:21 AM]

Champions League Contention by Sdwbvf
[Today at 11:06:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:19:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:17:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:14:54 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:11:10 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:09:54 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by London Villan
[Today at 12:07:17 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Book of the 70s  (Read 31526 times)

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
Re: Aston Villa Book of the 70s
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »
I would guess 71 or 72. I can't remember when the Vice Presidents' lounge under the Trinity was replaced by boxes, but it no earlier than the 71-2 season and probably no later. I'm not sure whether the lower trinity is seated, the aisles don't look well enough defined. It's a big crowd, maybe the second 0-0 against Walsall. I cant remember if they wore their red shorts or not, or of the evenings had enough light at that time of year.

Is it Jimmy Brown or Harry Gregory? I'd go for about the same time for the players photograph.

I think it is Cumbes in goal too. I reckon the Trinity enclosure is definitely seated - can't recall when thins happened but I don't think it happened while we were in decision 3, probably 1973?

Looking at the photo again they do look seated comapred to those standing nearby in the Holte. I can't remember when the seats/benches were put in but from what is said above it was at the start of the second season in Div 3. Exec boxes were added before we got back to Div 1 but I can't remember exactly which year there either. It's a big crowd, filling all the seating usually meant 40k plus.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 06:12:39 PM »
I bought something from the club shop Saturday and was given a postcard with this on the front and info on the back about the book so the club must be supporting it.

That photo looks like I could have been there standing right at the top of the Witton. Mind you it would have to have been 1961-65.

That's Jim Cumbes in goal.

I would guess 71 or 72. I can't remember when the Vice Presidents' lounge under the Trinity was replaced by boxes, but it no earlier than the 71-2 season and probably no later. I'm not sure whether the lower trinity is seated, the aisles don't look well enough defined. It's a big crowd, maybe the second 0-0 against Walsall. I cant remember if they wore their red shorts or not, or of the evenings had enough light at that time of year.

Is it Jimmy Brown or Harry Gregory? I'd go for about the same time for the players photograph.

I think it is Cumbes in goal too. I reckon the Trinity enclosure is definitely seated - can't recall when thins happened but I don't think it happened while we were in decision 3, probably 1973?

Looking at similar pictures online and looking at the oppose kit I was thinking that is the York match from 71 72, although that attendance was 26k and there look like there might be more there. Walsall had 46k but their kit that year was white shirts red shoes white socks so no reason for them were white shorts.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
Evidently there are some older gentlemen on H&V!

Anyone care to own up to being the oldest?
I'm a youngster of 61.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
Update - I think now it was the Swansea match in 1972 (from looking at programme cover of the following home match)

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
Most of my first season in 68 as a 7 year old was standing in the trinity road just to the side of the dug out but can't remember when seats was fitted

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 08:02:24 PM »
The Lower Trinity was still standing for the Man Utd League Cup semi-final.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 08:10:12 PM »

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 11:36:11 PM »
Brilliant photos PWS. My first trips to Villa Park were in the Trinity and for a long time it was a unique stand that was a colossal source of pride. To me Villa park has never been the same since 2000 when it was demolished.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2016, 12:08:36 AM »
Can' t wait for the book to come out.  Saying that I have yet to read the 3rd Division book cover to cover.

By the way has anyone got a copy of the First 100 years by Peter Morris?  Mine has somehow gone walkies when I moved home.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »
Brilliant photos PWS. My first trips to Villa Park were in the Trinity and for a long time it was a unique stand that was a colossal source of pride. To me Villa park has never been the same since 2000 when it was demolished.

Everyone loves Villa Park, old traditional stadium and all that
When in reality it's like Triggers broom,
There is not one stand that remains since the mid 70's when I first went

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2016, 01:45:48 PM »
Can' t wait for the book to come out.  Saying that I have yet to read the 3rd Division book cover to cover.

By the way has anyone got a copy of the First 100 years by Peter Morris?  Mine has somehow gone walkies when I moved home.

They pop up occasionally on ebay. It's a wonderful book, albeit a bit dated.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 06:10:50 AM »
Without doubt the immediate  area outside of Villa Park has fallen into rack and ruin - as for the ground this sounds odd- it has improved but not to our taste. 

I would say at times the atmosphere is still there (occasionally).  Still love some of the facade but it ist the Villa that I grew up and loved.

The Holte was well the Holte  everyone with their favourite viewing spec.  Got ruined with the fence towards the end of the 70's decade. 

The Witton End was "the alternative" again not the best in structure but it was our Witton End. The North Stand built on it is good in many ways and no doubt took into consideration the less terrace, more seating  aspect like Old Trafford.   It doesn't really sit right though, although I cannot explain it.

The old Witton Lane stand was our stand, the replacement build looks by itself good although fails to blend  in  well  with the rest of the ground.

As for the Trinity Road - could go on forever.  The stand if anywhere else would be a great addition to our famous ground but hate the way our history has been demolished for the sake of the build.  My comparison  would be the old and new Jaguar car.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
Except that the old Jaguar car was so out of touch it was killing the Jaguar marque whereas the new one looks like providing it with a lifeline.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
Update - I think now it was the Swansea match in 1972 (from looking at programme cover of the following home match)
Funny what you remember isn't it?
I'm thinking it's Swansea wearing white, white, red

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2016, 05:46:46 PM »

I think the missing player is Mick Hoban, he went to the States soon after to play in the NASL, still there today as a top guy in Nike I believe.
Go on. Without any checking. Somebody name all 17.

Rioch, Turnbull, Aitken, Hamilton, Curtis, Findlay, Vowden, Cumbes, Graydon, Lochead, Tyler, Brown, Evans, Anderson, Rudge, Bradley. - not 100% sure about Findlay and Rudge

Good effort but you've missed Ian Ross and  mistaken Harry Gregory for Jimmy Brown, and I'm pretty sure that  Jake Findlay isn't in the photo, although I've no idea who that guy is.
Like most people here, the difficult one is the player between Curtis and Vowden and, while he doesn't look much like how I remember him, I think it must be Neil Rioch. I'm getting there more by process of elimination rather than anything else, but he came to the club with his brother Bruce, and Chico and Pat MacMahon, in the summer before the Tommy Doc/Vic Crowe relegation  season of 1970/71. I reckon this photo is taken before the 1972/73 promotion season and this means before people like Ian Ross and Chris Nicholl joined the Villa. I think they joined us mid-season and my hunch, therefore, is that the fellow who looks like Ross is in fact Alun Evans; but I could be wrong. I agree on all the others though!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal