collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stanley Victor Collymore  (Read 101243 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Stanley Victor Collymore
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2016, 09:54:20 PM »
the person has to want to do the job. And I still content Stan is how he is because that's what he is paid to do, and over the years that's what his job has allowed him to become. If he took a different job that he actually wants he'd have to conform to the requirements and behaviours of that position. Whether or not he is qualified to do it is another question, but I don't think Stan would be how we know him now because the position wouldn't allow for it.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #226 on: April 05, 2016, 10:02:49 PM »
Collymore would be awful if we bought him back to the club at any capacity. Though conversely, seeing big Dion the other day on one of the MOTD programmes I thought he'd be worth a shout to come in on some sort of role, should he want it.

Yeah Dion would be a good shout. He's much more level headed (except for that one time with Savage of course - but for some reason I don't hold that against him).

Dion is worth a thousand Colllymores

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »
Mellberg is actually managing now so might be a credible option in the near future.

IF Brommapojkarna in what as far as I can work out is the Swedish 3rd tier since last November.

Nice dream that we could get someone to impart the integrity of Mellberg and Laursen onto the squad, but right now they're both pipedreams, Mellberg being less than 6 months into his first job in the Swedish 3rd division and Laursen is now assistant manager at Silkeborg IF in the Danish 2nd division after previously keeping Søllerød-Vedbæk from relegation from the Danish 3rd tier in a 6 month stint as manager.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
Collymore would be awful if we bought him back to the club at any capacity. Though conversely, seeing big Dion the other day on one of the MOTD programmes I thought he'd be worth a shout to come in on some sort of role, should he want it.

Yeah Dion would be a good shout. He's much more level headed (except for that one time with Savage of course - but for some reason I don't hold that against him).

Dion is worth a thousand Colllymores

Have to agree. Dion would be a great shout.

Offline peter w

« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »
how much compensation would we have to pay to Homes Under The Hammer?

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »
how much compensation would we have to pay to Homes Under The Hammer?

Not sure, maybe make them a bid?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #231 on: April 06, 2016, 12:57:44 PM »
I don't understand the clamour to shoe horn ex-players into roles at the club.  Don't get me wrong I'm all for looking after loyal servants where appropriate, but I'd rather have the best qualified people in key positions not favourite ex-players

Offline Diablo

« Reply #232 on: April 06, 2016, 02:42:42 PM »
I don't understand the clamour to shoe horn ex-players into roles at the club.  Don't get me wrong I'm all for looking after loyal servants where appropriate, but I'd rather have the best qualified people in key positions not favourite ex-players

People definitely need to be able to do the job. But I think this reaction stems from us employing people who haven't been qualified, haven't been able to do the job and who equally haven't given a flying f@@k about the club or even about football in some cases. At least with some of the ex-players mentioned they meet part of the necessary criteria and provide a bit of balance to the idiots and sole money men.

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »
So did he have this cup of tea with Sir Brian then?

If he has I'm surprised he hasn't tweeted about it yet.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
If he has then he's been told not to discuss in public. No different to if he did work for the club in any official I think he'd change what he is to act in a way becoming of the position. Stan is a gob because his current job needs or allows him to act a certain way. I think he's smart enough to be different if the circumstances demanded it.

Offline AV89

« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2016, 05:33:05 PM »

Tweeted this today.  Wonder if he's as excited as he was after his cup of coffee with Fox?

https://twitter.com/StanCollymore/status/720936974073393152

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #236 on: April 15, 2016, 05:36:51 PM »

Tweeted this today.  Wonder if he's as excited as he was after his cup of coffee with Fox?

https://twitter.com/StanCollymore/status/720936974073393152

Tom Fox said a lot of the right things, he just didn't deliver on them. That's naturally going to be the cynical view anyone can take on this latest meeting Stan has had. However, the obvious difference is 1) Who he spoke to, 2) The role the person who he spoke to has as part of the new look organisation. Tom Fox didn't know the first thing about football. Brian Little is by very definition the exact opposite. I'd like to believe that what Little will have conveyed is actually things that he is working on with the people at the club who understand the game.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #237 on: April 15, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »
As it has been said before, I am glad that there is dialogue with previous players, can't do any harm.......

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #238 on: April 16, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
As it has been said before, I am glad that there is dialogue with previous players, can't do any harm.......

Depends on which players.

I'd put Collymore somewhere below the likes of Mark Delaney, Kevin Richardson, Alan Wright, Tommy Johnson and Savo as players I'd listen to from that era, given that we're already talking to Andy Townsend.

Hell I'd probably listen to Richard Walker and Ricardo Scimeca before Collymore, mainly because I can never shake the feeling that it's all about SVC 1st, 2nd and 3rd and whatever the subject is supposed to be a distant 4th.

I will however put him above Sasa Curcic and David Ginola.

As an aside, if they're talking to former players, I hope they've contacted Nigel Spink and Alan Evans to hear about how a battered, broken and dishevelled dressing room was turned around inside 3 months last time.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #239 on: April 16, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »
Nigel Spink is more the quiet type like Brian Little.  Allan Evans is the motivator.  We have missed that brand of leadership on the pitch for years now.  When was the last time you saw a Villa captain on the pitch leading by example and urging on his players for 90 minutes non stop?  Mellberg? NRC with or without the armband?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal