collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Graham Taylor  (Read 35095 times)

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
Re: Graham Taylor
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2016, 05:54:44 PM »
I get them to say the name of the city where our ground is located. If they say the word Birmingham as though it is a place I continue to talk to them.  If they say it like the punchline of an Aufwiedersehn Pet piss take I walk away.

Not sure where you live Brian but one of my per hates is those from the London vicinity - Ian Wright included - who refer to the 2nd City as Burningham

Or Birminum ala Alan Curbishley

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 05:58:16 PM »
I get them to say the name of the city where our ground is located. If they say the word Birmingham as though it is a place I continue to talk to them.  If they say it like the punchline of an Aufwiedersehn Pet piss take I walk away.

Not sure where you live Brian but one of my per hates is those from the London vicinity - Ian Wright included - who refer to the 2nd City as Burningham

my first Wifes family were all Londoners, I found they had a genuine problem trying to say Birmingham

I also love graham taylor

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
In my supporting lifetime he is probably second only to Saunders in the managerial stakes - and even then I'd accept the argument that Taylor was the superior as Saunders didn't have to contend with taking over a club in free-fall at a time when football was a toxic brand.  If only Bobby Robson had done another World Cup cycle...   Inaugural winners of the Premier League and perhaps another Cup or two would have been a distinct possibility. 

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »
I remember in his first spell, a few Villa players frequented my local, one in particular (Oak n Ash in Walmley).

One day when I was in there at the same time as said player, in walks Sir Graham (obviously been tipped off). This player just stood up, left his pint and walked out the pub.

Sir Graham wasn't a man to mess with ! 

Within a week of his arrival he'd found every pub they drank in and been to them all.

That's one of my favourite anecdotes.

Could get you a lot of 'likes' if you had a button 😉

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2016, 07:57:54 PM »
Thanks to Dave for posting those lovely stories about GT's time at Watford. They fit in totally with what Paul McGrath says in "Back from the Brink" about how GT did everything he possibly could to look out for him. A genuinely good guy and a great, great manager. I'll never forget what he did for us in 1987-1990.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2016, 08:51:47 PM »
That whiskey faced Scotsman could've won twice the number of trophies and he still wouldn't get anywhere near what Graham Taylor is.

A gentleman.

Offline LTA

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2016, 09:35:25 PM »
Just watched it now.  Really sad they didn't cover his first spell with us, as they covered Watford, Lincoln and Grimsby as well.

Looking back, I think the two Blues games were what really did for Graham in his second spell.  Our home form was very good that season and he definitely brought more out of the likes of Barry and Hitzlsperger, but the derby results and our poor away form held us back.

I guess I have an affinity for him because he was the first Villa boss I can remember and he clearly knew how to organise a club and held strong family values.  Such a great "what if" story, considering where he left us in 1990.

Offline LTA

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
Did so much for us in the late 80's and didn't deserve the abuse he got when he came back.
Ain't that the truth. To be honest I didn't blame him for quitting second time around. It was a few weeks after he'd been booed at the end of our final home game when he tried to address the Holte. As far as standards had slipped at that point he should have been cut more slack by the support given his history.

We'd also just secured survival. What we'd give for that now.

I've often wondered if how much of that booing was aimed at him and how much aimed at the "fans" who were booing.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2016, 09:43:17 PM »
Did so much for us in the late 80's and didn't deserve the abuse he got when he came back.
Ain't that the truth. To be honest I didn't blame him for quitting second time around. It was a few weeks after he'd been booed at the end of our final home game when he tried to address the Holte. As far as standards had slipped at that point he should have been cut more slack by the support given his history.

We'd also just secured survival. What we'd give for that now.

I've often wondered if how much of that booing was aimed at him and how much aimed at the "fans" who were booing.
What I remember is he said on the mic something like "we all know its been an awful season" but then he was drowned out by the boos. He then turned and walked off. Some were appluding him, but many were not.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 09:51:15 PM »
Seems like a great guy but was an awful international manager. Took over a side that got to the semis in WC 1990 and left behind a rabble.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2016, 10:24:25 PM »
Seems like a great guy but was an awful international manager. Took over a side that got to the semis in WC 1990 and left behind a rabble.

He did but as he said previously it should have been his last job not a job he took halfway through his career.

He didn't know that Gazza was going to turn up pissed at Landsdowne Road then get crocked a couple of months later, Shearer having broken into the team get a horrendous injury and Merson going awol. Mark Wright being injured and Des Walker losing all sense of form in 1992. Oh and Woods and Seaman being brilliant for their clubs then playing like Guzan 2015 also didn't help.

As for whatifs I think we would have been a very good top 4-5 club for his duration (say another 2-3 years) and maybe left it for BFR or Little to kick on to the next level.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »
I agree with top deck. There is a very strong argument to claim that graham Taylor is the best manager we've had including Ron saunders

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 10:28:07 PM »
I have lived on the outskirts of Lincoln for a couple of decades now (I work in Scarborough) and Imps fans hold SGT in the highest regard. An electrician who has helped me out a few times used to do jobs for the Taylors and tells me a more genuine and lovely man you couldn't meet. A validation of what we already know I guess but added to the miraculous job he did for us and the wonderful memories he created really cements his place in my affections. Christ, that sounds like an epitaph which I dearly hope won't be neccesary for many years.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »

That overlooks the fact that the 1990 World Cup squad was filled with players who were on their way out or down. Shilton and Butcher had retired and Beardsley, Waddle, Lineker (to name just three) were all in their thirties for Taylor's reign. The one genuine star he could have built his side around for years was Gazza, and he got himself crocked in the 91 cup final. It's not as if Taylor ripped a great team apart, whoever had succeeded Bobby Robson would have had a major rebuilding job.  Also, let us not pretend that the 1990 team was a great one. Aside from the semi-final their performances were pretty bloody awful.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:29 PM »

That overlooks the fact that the 1990 World Cup squad was filled with players who were on their way out or down. Shilton and Butcher had retired and Beardsley, Waddle, Lineker (to name just three) were all in their thirties for Taylor's reign. The one genuine star he could have built his side around for years was Gazza, and he got himself crocked in the 91 cup final. It's not as if Taylor ripped a great team apart, whoever had succeeded Bobby Robson would have had a major rebuilding job.  Also, let us not pretend that the 1990 team was a great one. Aside from the semi-final their performances were pretty bloody awful.

We had the oldest squad in the tournament.

Leaving Waddle out in favour of Barnes was his one major avoidable mistake.

1990 had lots of good players, I still argue the performances v Holland and Belgium were also good.
v Ireland crappy local derby slog fest
v African teams average but more experience to outlast them. Just.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal