collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Board vs Manager Signings  (Read 10774 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Board vs Manager Signings
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2016, 12:58:22 PM »
Now i'm not defending Sherwood but if you were in the market for a top striker, then a middling championship striker wouldn't be your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice however much of a bellend of a manager you are. Neither would adebayor frankly so you think why?

Because we tried to sign Adebayor, agreed a deal with his club then he decided that he didn't want to come to us. And when that happened we signed Gestede. That's a pretty good sign that Adebayor was first choice and Gestede was second choice.

Why would you think that Adebayor and Gestede weren't our first and second choices?

Because we've been run on a shoestring since Houllier's time?

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »
Now i'm not defending Sherwood but if you were in the market for a top striker, then a middling championship striker wouldn't be your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice however much of a bellend of a manager you are. Neither would adebayor frankly so you think why?

Because we tried to sign Adebayor, agreed a deal with his club then he decided that he didn't want to come to us. And when that happened we signed Gestede. That's a pretty good sign that Adebayor was first choice and Gestede was second choice.

Why would you think that Adebayor and Gestede weren't our first and second choices?

So... which type of "shoestring" signings do you think were our first choices if you think neither Gestede nor Adebayor were? There must be a reason that you think that the first person we tried to sign and the one that we ultimately did sign weren't the people that we wanted to sign.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
Of those three, Benteke was the biggest loss by a mile and replaced by Gestede. By all accounts, at the request of Sherwood when they were suggesting alternatives. Is that the board's fault, or Sherwood's fault?

I haven't seen anything to this effect reported anywhere, but it certainly sounds plausible. Depressingly so!

Where did you see it, out of interest?

Offline Dave

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »
Of those three, Benteke was the biggest loss by a mile and replaced by Gestede. By all accounts, at the request of Sherwood when they were suggesting alternatives. Is that the board's fault, or Sherwood's fault?

I haven't seen anything to this effect reported anywhere, but it certainly sounds plausible. Depressingly so!

Reply #20 on this thread.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2016, 01:11:59 PM »

So... which type of "shoestring" signings do you think were our first choices if you think neither Gestede nor Adebayor were? There must be a reason that you think that the first person we tried to sign and the one that we ultimately did sign weren't the people that we wanted to sign.

ah, i'm on about who Sherwood wanted to sign, not the club. Just look at our spending. you pocket 45m from sales, spend 8m more on top and your main striking replacement gets 15% of that budget, if that. Now Sherwood may be a fuckwitt but he knows the going rate for a premiership striker and its not 6m or 8m

Offline Dave

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2016, 01:19:06 PM »

ah, i'm on about who Sherwood wanted to sign, not the club. Just look at our spending. you pocket 45m from sales, spend 8m more on top and your main striking replacement gets 15% of that budget, if that. Now Sherwood may be a fuckwitt but he knows the going rate for a premiership striker and its not 6m or 8m

The striker that he wanted to sign would have been joining us on a transfer fee of £0. How does that fit into the 'going rate'?

premiership

*sigh*

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2016, 01:23:32 PM »

Reply #20 on this thread.

Ah thanks. Yep, I can just see Sherwood drooling over the pantomime horse that is Gestede. Great scouting, there Tim. You twat.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »

The striker that he wanted to sign would have been joining us on a transfer fee of £0. How does that fit into the 'going rate'?

larf! yeah i'm sure sherwood was told money no object. He went for adebeyor because what was saved on the transfer fee went on the wages. The fact remains if you pocket 32 million for a striker you should at least be looking at spending nearly half that on a top quality replacement, not hunt around the the championship and European backwaters for a bargain or someone with potential.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »
There were photos of Adebayor at Bodymoor Heath during the closest season.

Then just after the transfer window came

Emmanuel Adebayor refuses to leave Tottenham Hotspur because he needs a sign from God

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2016, 02:43:44 PM »

Emmanuel Adebayor refuses to leave Tottenham Hotspur because he needs a sign from God

In fairness God was clearly looking after Adebayor when he didn't give him a sign to move Villa.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2016, 02:46:40 PM »

In fairness God was clearly looking after Adebayor when he didn't give him a sign to move Villa.

and God was looking after us as well!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »

and God was looking after us as well!

I wouldn't be rushing to thank him, we have Gestede.

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
In fitting with the theme , Sherwood reportedly wanted Townsend reports today are Spurs want 14mil , no loan and he not played 90 mins in 2 years.Sure this would have been same in summer hence why we didn't go in for him

At end of summer window we tried to get Dwight Gayle , I would have gone for him before Gestede at least he has goals in Prem league

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 10:47:59 PM »
In fitting with the theme , Sherwood reportedly wanted Townsend reports today are Spurs want 14mil , no loan and he not played 90 mins in 2 years.Sure this would have been same in summer hence why we didn't go in for him

At end of summer window we tried to get Dwight Gayle , I would have gone for him before Gestede at least he has goals in Prem league

What a sorry state of affairs though. Dwight Gayle, who's keen and lively but limited, and Afro Bambi.

Under normal circumstances, a sale like Benteke's should mean looking in the £15-20m mark for a replacement, at least.

We were lining up what would be probably the worst front pairing I'd have seen watching us, and even failed to pull that off.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 11:18:41 PM »
I still think the problem is not with who we brought in but the extra money needed to replace others that are still here.  There are gaping holes in our squad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal