collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by mrfuse
[Today at 08:17:57 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:06:23 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by jwarry
[Today at 08:04:36 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Time to go for it...  (Read 9382 times)

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
Re: Time to go for it...
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3360489/Aston-Villa-cheating-fans-Remi-Garde-s-players-letting-club-no-excuse-not-running.html

Decent article? He has a valid point or two.

It was a decent article 'til it got to the bit where he included Westwood as one of the players who can 'look after the ball, find a pass, open up opponents'. Obviously he sees something that I don't

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 03:42:43 PM »
They won 3 and were on 13 points after 19 games. After 29 games they had won 4 and were on 19 points.

Oh, that's put a downer on that then. I only posted it because I heard it on 5Live this evening.

It still shows that it is far from a lost cause though.

Oh I'm convinced it ain't over yet. They'll be plenty more twists and turns to come. Not even half the season gone yet.

We are going to win a game eventually. Even if it feels like we never will. What will keep us up is we are able to build on that or do we lose soon after and go on another barren run. That's what will kill us. Leicester won and kept going that took them from oblivion to safety. We need to find some positive momentum from somewhere.

I'm hoping for a decent January transfer window. Hopefully a goal scorer to kickstart our season.

We need two or three difference makers in the side even it costs is £30-40m to get them in. A goalscorer for sure and a goalkeeper would be 2 of the 3 in my opinion. A competent goalkeeper just brings about so much confidence in the defence. We literally have to score at minimum 2 a game to get a win now, often to get a point and without a recognized forward it's beyond us. Minimize the amount of goals the pressure goes down to score. If be happy with a few 1-0 wins to be honest. Delighted even.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »
If we can't get a decent forward at least someone with a proven track record of creating chances would be good. You can't really say the strikers are all missing lots of clear cut opportunities at the minute.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
Sinclair and Gestede missed sitters against Arsenal. I know they would have gone up the other end and bummed us anyway but we should have scored. The Sinclair header was particularly weak, he should not be anywhere near the line up at the moment.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 06:00:25 PM »
Gill, Traore, Grealish none of them are world beaters, none of them can play perfect games for 90 mins, they will all drift in and out of games

But I will stick my neck out say I don't think we will win another game without one or more of these three players on the pitch

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 06:48:59 PM »
Sinclair and Gestede missed sitters against Arsenal. I know they would have gone up the other end and bummed us anyway but we should have scored. The Sinclair header was particularly weak, he should not be anywhere near the line up at the moment.

I agree with you about Sinclair. A couple of times in the first half on Sunday he annoyed me by ambling to get back onside, when, if he'd come out with their defenders, he'd have been perfectly placed to receive a pass to put us back in at them. But no, saunters back, man in possession got pressed, we lose the ball in a promising position. A Gabby trait.
But not all would agree; on the way out, I walked past a lad on the phone to his mate or someone, saying that "Sinclair's too good for us".
Opinions, eh.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 06:59:26 PM »
I was completely wrong about Sinclair. I thought he was decent and we were not using him correctly but he plays like he really couldn't give a flying fuck, a heart the size of a peanut.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 07:24:37 PM »
Playing like someone sat on a release clause, imo.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »
Gill, Traore, Grealish none of them are world beaters, none of them can play perfect games for 90 mins, they will all drift in and out of games

But I will stick my neck out say I don't think we will win another game without one or more of these three players on the pitch

Agreed, 2 of them in for Gestede and Sinclair and Richards at right back has to be the way to go until Jan.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »
Just posted on the Newcastle thread I think Gil in number 10 behind Ayew and Traore would work. They both like to run at defenders and both have a shot on them. Forget the width and go direct. We have a spanish magician who can thread balls, lets utilise him in the most important position on the park

I don't know anything about Lydon but if he can inject some energy in midfield I would play Veretout behind Traore and Ayew. I like Gil I just think Veretout has the better eye for a pass and can help the midfield more. Should be noted Newcastle are playing 4 CM's and 2 strikers so need to keep midfield strong for the next one at least

Not so sure about Veretout as an attacking midfielder and think he would be more suited a bit deeper. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »
Just posted on the Newcastle thread I think Gil in number 10 behind Ayew and Traore would work. They both like to run at defenders and both have a shot on them. Forget the width and go direct. We have a spanish magician who can thread balls, lets utilise him in the most important position on the park

I don't know anything about Lydon but if he can inject some energy in midfield I would play Veretout behind Traore and Ayew. I like Gil I just think Veretout has the better eye for a pass and can help the midfield more. Should be noted Newcastle are playing 4 CM's and 2 strikers so need to keep midfield strong for the next one at least

I like Gil but he is a bit of all fart and no shit, great on the ball but hasn't got the pace to get behind his man so run sideways across their back line and eventually drop your shoulder and cut inside. Get tackled.

Agree on the point about his pace and it frustrates me that he picks the ball up so deep, because he isn't going yo hurt teams there.  We really need him on the ball in and around the opposition penalty area as I think he could hurt teams.  I don't think he gets tackled all that much does he?

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »
Veretout, Gil, Grealish, all a bit moot if there's little-to-bugger-all movement in front of them.

Online Clampy

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 08:31:13 PM »
Judging by the youtube clips i watched before he came, Veretout looked liked he was an attacking midfielder for his old club. I think he'd look a bit better if he was given more of a slightly free role.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2015, 12:35:48 AM »
Judging by the youtube clips i watched before he came, Veretout looked liked he was an attacking midfielder for his old club. I think he'd look a bit better if he was given more of a slightly free role.

To me it seems Garde is playing him in that role , certainly against Southampton he tried to go beyond Gestede for flick on's

Online Clampy

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2015, 01:14:44 PM »

To me it seems Garde is playing him in that role , certainly against Southampton he tried to go beyond Gestede for flick on's

I can't say i've noticed him playing any further forward to be honest. Now I've said that, he'll score on Saturday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal