collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by eye digress
[Today at 09:43:05 AM]

Ollie Watkins by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:42:08 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:33:36 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:33:23 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:25:33 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:21:03 AM]

Lucas Digne - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pundits.  (Read 35059 times)

Offline four fornicholl

Re: Pundits.
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 07:41:25 PM »
his name escapes me but I used to love the guy who coverd our night games in the late seventies and eighties
on bbc radio
what the hell was his name?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »

Even Danny Murphy who I actually can stand came out with some rubbish about referees not having to send players off with only seconds left in the game, despite the fact that the rules are players can be sent off until they are down the tunnel even after the whistle has gone.

Honestly, that utter horseshite he was coming out with the other night about refs nearly made me throw my remote at the telly.  Apparently, the ref was right to not book Toure for a really bad tackle, because if Toure had then committed another really bad foul later in the game, he might have to send him off.  That's their fucking job you utter arsewipe, and what you were actually advocating was refs letting the bigger teams and players off with bad fouls, just because of who they are.  Twat!

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 07:45:46 PM »

Even Danny Murphy who I actually can stand came out with some rubbish about referees not having to send players off with only seconds left in the game, despite the fact that the rules are players can be sent off until they are down the tunnel even after the whistle has gone.

Honestly, that utter horseshite he was coming out with the other night about refs nearly made me throw my remote at the telly.  Apparently, the ref was right to not book Toure for a really bad tackle, because if Toure had then committed another really bad foul later in the game, he might have to send him off.  That's their fucking job you utter arsewipe, and what you were actually advocating was refs letting the bigger teams and players off with bad fouls, just because of who they are.  Twat!
There's probably stats to disprove it, but it feels more like he's just acknowledging existing custom and practice.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »
his name escapes me but I used to love the guy who coverd our night games in the late seventies and eighties
on bbc radio

Larry Canning?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2015, 07:55:37 PM »
I don't mind Claridge. He at least attempts to go past the bleeding obvious all the time, even if he mangles the English language in the process.

There, I've said it.

Offline villabear

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 08:01:44 PM »
I know not a pundit but can I add Alan Green to the list.
How this man keeps his job is beyond me. Him and whoever his co commentator are (normally Lawrenson) drone on mostly about anything but the game they are watching. It normally consists of how their journey to the game was a hardship, how bad their hotels are, how bad the food they've had to eat was etc.

When finally he gets round to the commentary it's just him pontificating on the 'poor' performance of the officials and how he'd change things if he had his way.

I still can't believe he's getting away with it.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 08:18:50 PM »
Collymore hasn't covered himself in glory this last week either.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »
on bbc radio

Larry Canning?
peter jones, that's the fella,his voice brings back so many good memories

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 08:30:42 PM »
Peter Jones was the voice of Radio when I was a kid in the 80s, I remember Larry Canning covering us too, liked him when I was a kid.

I know he divides opinions on here, but I like Pat Murphy, when things are going wrong he seems pissed off like the rest of us, voices his opinions and doesn't sit on the fence.

Carragher, Neville, Murphy, Dixon, Hargreaves and James are all good, the rest just come out with the same old shit.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
Peter Jones was the voice of Radio when I was a kid in the 80s, I remember Larry Canning covering us too, liked him when I was a kid.

I know he divides opinions on here, but I like Pat Murphy, when things are going wrong he seems pissed off like the rest of us, voices his opinions and doesn't sit on the fence.

Carragher, Neville, Murphy, Dixon, Hargreaves and James are all good, the rest just come out with the same old shit.
euro night games in the seventies,no ss,listening to the villa in my bedroom,such fond memories,
I can still hear his voice now

Offline nuninho

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
Neville and Carragher by a long shot are the best.  Quite like Souness as well - especially when on a rant when covering Sky's coverage of the Champions league.  BT Sport's pundits are terrible. 
BBC if they allow him to talk could mould Danny Murphy into a decent pundit, but trouble is that they have to cover all aspects of the game for the casual viewer, and can't really go in to depth in the way that Sky can - see Monday night football for example.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2015, 09:04:10 PM »

I couldn't have put it better myself. He literally was saying don't send players off in the last minute and don't book them in the first.  This despite the fact that it's their job.  And it was Barry's 2nd bookable anyway so he deserved it.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2015, 09:07:54 PM »
I seem to remember Larry Canning doing a very good impression of hating us when he was commentating on us back in the day - so nothing's changed.

The only pundit who seemed to like us was David Wigley on WM.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:14 PM »
Alan Green is the biggest bellend ever.

Ian Wright is the second.

John Motson third. Just goes to show you can know stats, but know fuck all about the actual game.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »
I seem to remember Larry Canning doing a very good impression of hating us when he was commentating on us back in the day - so nothing's changed.

The only pundit who seemed to like us was David Wigley on WM.

As a former Villa player I always thought Larry Canning was fair to us. I recall him being the voice from Villa Park in the days when only 2 games were on TV

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal