collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:26:39 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 04:26:04 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 04:25:59 PM]

FFP by Risso
[Today at 04:23:51 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Louzie0
[Today at 04:22:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Risso
[Today at 04:19:35 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:06:51 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:59:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:26:39 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 04:26:04 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 04:25:59 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 04:23:51 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 04:23:35 PM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Louzie0
[Today at 04:22:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Risso
[Today at 04:19:35 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 04:16:31 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 390007 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #4740 on: January 17, 2024, 10:23:27 AM »
Good to see so many in form picks but George as captain and the potential reliance on Cole and Marler is a little worrying.

Very happy to see the saints backline get their reward for being excellent all season.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4741 on: January 17, 2024, 12:53:04 PM »
Good to see so many in form picks but George as captain and the potential reliance on Cole and Marler is a little worrying.

Very happy to see the saints backline get their reward for being excellent all season.

I think the reliance on them is ok for this 6 Nations, as I can understand not wanting to transition too much all at once.

Online nigel

« Reply #4742 on: January 17, 2024, 09:56:55 PM »
England squad
Forwards: Ollie Chessum, Dan Cole, Alex Coles, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Chandler Cunningham-South, Ben Curry, Theo Dan, Alex Dombrandt, Ben Earl, Ellis Genge, Jamie George (capt), Joe Heyes, Nick Isiekwe, Maro Itoje, Joe Marler, Beno Obano, Tom Pearson, Ethan Roots, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill.

Backs: Oscar Beard, Danny Care, Elliot Daly, Fraser Dingwall, Immanuel Feyi-Waboso, George Ford, Tommy Freeman, George Furbank, Ollie Lawrence, Alex Mitchell, Tom Roebuck, Henry Slade, Fin Smith, Marcus Smith, Ben Spencer, Freddie Steward.

I thought we’d have moved on past Dan Cole and Marler. Sinkler seems to have lost his way and Will Stuart flatters to deceive.
I suppose it shows we have a lack of depth at prop.
I’m guessing Care and Daly are there to add a bit of experience to the squad. I happen to like both players, but, again, I thought we may have had some options coming through.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 08:50:00 AM by nigel »

Offline paul_e

« Reply #4743 on: January 18, 2024, 12:14:53 PM »
England squad
Forwards: Ollie Chessum, Dan Cole, Alex Coles, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Chandler Cunningham-South, Ben Curry, Theo Dan, Alex Dombrandt, Ben Earl, Ellis Genge, Jamie George (capt), Joe Heyes, Nick Isiekwe, Maro Itoje, Joe Marler, Beno Obano, Tom Pearson, Ethan Roots, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill.

Backs: Oscar Beard, Danny Care, Elliot Daly, Fraser Dingwall, Immanuel Feyi-Waboso, George Ford, Tommy Freeman, George Furbank, Ollie Lawrence, Alex Mitchell, Tom Roebuck, Henry Slade, Fin Smith, Marcus Smith, Ben Spencer, Freddie Steward.

I thought we’d have moved on past Dan Cole and Marler. Sinkler seems to have lost his way and Will Stuart flatters to deceive.
I suppose it shows we have a lack of depth at prop.
I’m guessing Care and Daly are there to add a bit of experience to the squad. I happen to like both players, but, again, I thought we may have had some options coming through.

Care really shouldn't be there but injuries have taken away a few options so I'd suspect Mitchell is the first choice and the other 2 will fight out for the bench. Spencer is in good form but he's 31 so isn't really a pick for the future.

Daly is just a bizarre choice for me because he's been poor for about 18months. He was a very good 13 at Wasps but it's been awhile and now he's an average winger who only really makes sense if you want an extra kicking option, which worries me because this set of backs shouldn't be playing a territorial kicking game.

I agree that the prop options look a little thin but becoming a international standard prop is about experience as much as anything. Marler was a poor scrummager when he came through but was given the game time for club and country and became a very good prop.

Our problem now is that someone like Obano has been around the fringe of the England squad for 7 years but has 3 caps and at 29 is a bit to old to be there "for the experience". I'd have liked to see us force ourselves into a situation where we had 2 clear starters (probably Genge and Stuart) and then people like Heyes and Obano behind them as 2nd choice knowing they'll be getting game time.

That way the 3rd choice in the squad can go to players like Haffar and Opoku-Fordjour who are still very young and will gain a lot more from being around the camp. If you pick up an injury then you can look at players like Marler and Coles to come in and fill a temporary gap but picking them in the original squad means they'll both be in the 23 and Obano and Heyes will end up being sent back to their clubs other than maybe getting a run against Italy.

All that said Sincklers form dropping off a cliff has caused a huge problem because, like you, I don't think much of Stuart. We still need to work something out before the Autumn though because Cole will be 39 by the next world cup and he's already useless in the loose.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4744 on: January 18, 2024, 12:26:25 PM »
Is Chandler Cunningham South 3 players?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #4745 on: January 18, 2024, 01:44:15 PM »

Size wise he's not far off.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #4746 on: January 18, 2024, 03:36:35 PM »

Well known firm of solicitors I believe

Offline paul_e

« Reply #4747 on: January 31, 2024, 02:49:06 PM »
England U20 side ha been named today (ahead of the game on Friday which can be watched on the BBC website). The ones to watch that I know of are Opoku-Fordjour in the front row and then Carnduff and Pollock at 6 and 7.

Offline AV84

« Reply #4748 on: February 02, 2024, 07:50:03 PM »
Don't fancy Ireland's chances tonight. I think the post Sexton era will be a bumpy one for a while.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #4749 on: February 02, 2024, 07:59:52 PM »
Don't fancy Ireland's chances tonight. I think the post Sexton era will be a bumpy one for a while.

I think it'll be a good game tonight, lots of very good players in both sides but both missing a key player that has been key to them for the last few years (in Sexton and Dupont). Ollivon vs O'Mahony is the key battle in my opinion.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4750 on: February 02, 2024, 08:01:01 PM »
Neither do I, away to France and in Marseille. Winner tonight probably wins the championship, COYBIG!

Offline AV84

« Reply #4751 on: February 02, 2024, 08:31:34 PM »
We should be about 21 points up at this point. Will regret some of these missed chances.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #4752 on: February 02, 2024, 08:33:53 PM »
We should be about 21 points up at this point. Will regret some of these missed chances.

Tep, you've started really well and had the best of the calls from the ref (not the yellow, that was spot on) but you've not really taken advantage.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #4753 on: February 02, 2024, 08:35:47 PM »
Much better, great try.

Offline AV84

« Reply #4754 on: February 02, 2024, 08:39:20 PM »
Side note - that white and navy jersey the ref has on is quite nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal