collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389624 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #4620 on: October 22, 2023, 08:17:58 AM »
A game of very fine margins.

Farrell mouthing off and costing valuable yards.
Sinckler and Vunipola coming on and being utterly shite.
That awful Steward kick.
Two pathetic line out throws from George in good positions.

All combined to cost England the game.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4621 on: October 22, 2023, 08:28:30 AM »

Farrell mouthing off and costing valuable yards.
Sinckler and Vunipola coming on and being utterly shite.
That awful Steward kick.
Two pathetic line out throws from George in good positions.

All combined to cost England the game.

Sort of but it’s not as if South Africa didn’t make similar errors over the course of the game. In a game of fine margins South Africa just got the rub of the green at the end.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4622 on: October 22, 2023, 08:54:08 AM »
England did well I suppose, but much like us and O’Neill playing in that reductive style is only going to get you so far.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4623 on: October 22, 2023, 09:31:29 AM »
The same ref who made 3 big calls in favour of SA against France and did the same for them against England.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4624 on: October 22, 2023, 09:33:07 AM »
Respectfully I don’t think that makes any sense. They outplayed and nearly beat the number one side in the world. It wasn’t free flowing, of course not but the conditions didn’t allow that. England need to build on it, but the fundamentals of that game could carry them to beat anyone. They were accurate, physically dominant and just really good.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4625 on: October 22, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »
well played England you had a good game plan and it almost worked
Much better team for most of the game, it was only when our scrum was boosted that we got back into the game and scored the winning try and Penalty.
Lots of youngsters in the England team so something to work with
I think the Boks are out on their feet after France and England games where the all blacks have had a bit of a stroll to the final
Can not imagine why Monty thinks it will be the most boring Final ?
Do you think Argentina England would have been the go to game ?

Boring as in it's the two best teams in the world, rather than boring rugby, I'm guessing. Boringly predictable like Man City getting to cup finals every year.

Yeah, I'm sure the rugby quality will be very high but we don't follow sport just to regard technical excellence. For the last couple of years New Zealand had fallen behind, and while South Africa were always there the hopes for France and Ireland to finally make their breakthroughs were very high. Some questionable refereeing and 6 points later and the old order reaffirms itself. I'm not sure how fondly this tournament will be remembered by anyone other than the winners.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #4626 on: October 22, 2023, 10:01:37 AM »
New Zealand are currently like a very dangerous wounded animal, after having a bad couple of years. I think they are going to rip the Springboks to shreds in the final. 

Offline nigel

« Reply #4627 on: October 22, 2023, 10:25:08 AM »
The same ref who made 3 big calls in favour of SA against France and did the same for them against England.

I pointed this out, too.
He was guessing at the scrums, and came out in favour of SA.
There were so many, more knowledgeable than myself at front row dark arts, saying the SA props were guilty.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #4628 on: October 22, 2023, 11:02:25 AM »
England made it to the stage most people thought they would, given the relatively easy draw.

As much as I hate to credit Erasmus (given that he's an arrogant arse), I don't see any other coach having the chutzpah to make such early and numerous changes.

Probable that my fellow Whitecross Comprehensive School alumnus, Wayne Barnes, will now get the final.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4629 on: October 22, 2023, 12:39:07 PM »
I didn't give England a chance in this game so kudos to them for taking such a great side to the wire. It's been a turbulent time for the team since Jones got fired and Borthwick deserves a chance to build on that performance starting with Argentina on Friday.

An end of an era for many of the squad, although I think most will be around for the six nations.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4630 on: October 22, 2023, 12:41:38 PM »

Yup, as we found out last week. :(

On Irish TV they felt England should have had a penalty in the 79th minute for the Saffa not rolling away. They thought that the weather, England's game plan and intensity, plus South Africa's errors, made it a close game, before adding that if England stick with this style of rugby they should give Italy a good game in the Six Nations.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #4631 on: October 22, 2023, 01:59:55 PM »
Which is a bit of a daft conclusion given that the weather clearly influenced the plan. England clearly need to develop their game, it’s worth remembering what a shambles Borthwick walked into. It’s not been straightforward since then, but last night showed two characteristics that are absolutely crucial to any side that want to compete at the top level - sustained physical intensity and accuracy. England have shown they can do that now, in the highest pressure situation. They need to build other aspects, but demonstrating that was massive because it hasn’t been there since the last World Cup.

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #4632 on: October 22, 2023, 02:18:42 PM »
Bongi Mbonambi might be in a spot of bother. https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/67185493

Offline AV84

« Reply #4633 on: October 22, 2023, 02:28:27 PM »
Bongi Mbonambi might be in a spot of bother. https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/67185493

I was reading about that earlier and I can't think for the life of me what he could have said? Obviously there can be racism against white people, but there's no obvious word I can think of... honky? Cracker?

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #4634 on: October 22, 2023, 02:33:50 PM »

I was reading about that earlier and I can't think for the life of me what he could have said? Obviously there can be racism against white people, but there's no obvious word I can think of... honky? Cracker?

Apparently Curry was heard asking the ref, “Sir, Sir, if their hooker calls me a white c*nt what do I do?”
The ref replied: “Nothing please.”

It's a revelation to me that Curry would address the ref as "Sir, Sir", as if he's in a primary school class.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal