collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381662 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3375 on: January 18, 2022, 01:30:09 PM »
England 6 Nations squad

Farrell still captain (insert head-slapping emoji thingy)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60036981

Forwards

Alfie Barbeary, Jamie Blamire, Ollie Chessum, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tom Curry, Alex Dombrandt, Charlie Ewels, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Joe Heyes, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Courtney Lawes, Lewis Ludlam, Joe Marler, Bevan Rodd, Sam Simmonds, Kyle Sinckler, Will Stuart

Backs

Mark Atkinson, Orlando Bailey, Owen Farrell, Tommy Freeman, George Furbank, Ollie Hassell-Collins, Max Malins, Joe Marchant, Jonny May, Luke Northmore, Jack Nowell, Raffi Quirke, Harry Randall, Henry Slade, Marcus Smith, Freddie Steward, Ben Youngs.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #3376 on: January 18, 2022, 03:32:00 PM »
Welsh squad

The Forest's own Alex Cuthbert still hanging in there

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60024912

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3377 on: January 18, 2022, 04:39:36 PM »
Ben Youngs clearly can do no wrong.

Offline DC1874

« Reply #3378 on: January 18, 2022, 04:50:30 PM »
Great to see Alfie Barbeary in after some outstanding performances for Wasps but totally agree about Ben Youngs!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3379 on: January 18, 2022, 06:50:38 PM »
Aside from Youngs hanging on like a shit that won't flush and Farrell being captain when he should be struggling to make the 23 I think it's the best England squad for a few years, some really exciting picks in there.

A pack of Sinckler, Cowan-Dickie, Marler, Itoje, Lawes, Barbeary, Curry and Dombrandt with Blamire, Genge and Simmonds all to come off the bench against tiring defences, that's a terrifying pack if we use it well.

And there's some quality in the backs as well,  i think freeman might be the wildcard in there.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #3380 on: January 19, 2022, 02:43:42 PM »
Only just noticed, no Manu Tuilagi? Is he injured again or fallen out of favour?

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #3381 on: January 19, 2022, 03:03:11 PM »
Doesn't seem to have played since late October for Sale. And managed all of about 10 minutes in the November internationals so guess he hasn't recovered from that.

Whilst looking up this info on Sale's website, hilariously he is sponsored by Redmoor Health "helping empower people manage their health". I'm not sure if that is the greatest or most atrocious personal sponsor ever.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3382 on: January 19, 2022, 03:41:51 PM »
Yep, he's not fit, from what I can make out there's a fair chance he won't play again this season, it's getting to the point where I expect he'll retire before long, his body is just broken.

Underhill is the bigger surprise as he's probably fitter than Farrell and George who have both been included.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #3383 on: January 21, 2022, 12:42:14 PM »
Farrell out of the first match

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #3384 on: January 21, 2022, 12:53:31 PM »
Yep, he's not fit, from what I can make out there's a fair chance he won't play again this season, it's getting to the point where I expect he'll retire before long, his body is just broken.

Underhill is the bigger surprise as he's probably fitter than Farrell and George who have both been included.
The word on the street up here is that Manu is close to making a return in the next few weeks. Be very interesting if he gets straight back in as Johanse van Rensburg has come into his own at centre recently in the Sale team.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3385 on: January 21, 2022, 01:05:42 PM »

The word on the street up here is that Manu is close to making a return in the next few weeks. Be very interesting if he gets straight back in as Johanse van Rensburg has come into his own at centre recently in the Sale team.

I've seen the same but then it' the 2nd time he's been on the verge of a comeback from this specific problem and throughout his career he's had injuries that have taken much longer than expected to heal. Fingers crossed it's different this time and he can find the fitness to get a run of games but I just don't think you can rely on that as England so cutting the losses and going a different way is probably for the best.

Farrell out of the first match

Was always likely and it's great news really as it opens up the options in the centres. Farrell and Slade at 12 and 13 just doesn't work for me so hopefully Marchant will get a chance to make the 12 shirt his. Will also be really interesting to see where Malins and Furbank fit in. The former has played all along the backline but isn't in the best of form at club level whereas the latter is in superb form but had a tough time for England before, I suspect 1 or other on the bench as cover for 10, 12 and 15 though then with a 'flyer' like Hassell-Collins or Freeman joining them. Keeping that blanace will be harder once Farrell is back and gets shoe-horned into the 23.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #3386 on: February 01, 2022, 02:50:33 PM »
So what's yer picks for the 6N?

Spoon - Italy as always they won't win a game ever again.
Champions is a tough call, England had a superb Autumn as did Ireland, Wales will be there or thereabouts again and you can't rule France out but they always seem to bottle it.

This weekend I'm going Ireland by 9, France by 18 and England by 7.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #3387 on: February 01, 2022, 03:08:01 PM »
Just looked up the weather forecast for Edinburgh, gusty winds and heavy rain - so I fancy a settled Scotland side to beat a reshuffled England. Hope the weather is better at StoneX stadium, as I’m watching on the “big” screens straight after the Saracens v Bath game.

France for the Grand Slam, as they have both Ireland and England at home.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3388 on: February 01, 2022, 04:17:40 PM »
Frnce are rightly favourites, strong squad and have home ties against the 2 other challengers.

England are a better squad and team now than they were last year and are coming off a decent autumn. I'm holding back on judgement until i see the 15 he picks but I'd expect us to be the other major contender.

Ireland have some quality but if England and France are at their best at home to them I can't see them doing better than 3rd.

After that Italy are clearly the weakest team and will probably get whitewashed yet again but I can't pick between Scotland and Wales.

Ths weekend I'm going for:
Ireland by at least 15
England by less than 7
France by at least 15

For England; away at Scotland is, in my opinion, the worst way to start the tournament but with the squad we have I think we should be strong enough to win a game that will be tighter than it should be.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #3389 on: February 02, 2022, 10:57:18 AM »
Lawes and Hill both out of the first game.

I expect Curry to be captain now

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal