collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381595 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3360 on: November 16, 2021, 08:51:49 AM »
Jamie George (knee) and Owen Farrell (ankle) out of SA game

Will provide an interesting selection.

I’ll guess Manu back to 12 and Blamire starting at 2

I might be wrong but I suspect he'll be nervous starting Blamire and might keep him on the bench. Singleton is better suited to playing against SA.

Manu at 12 and Radwan on the wing seems pretty likely.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3361 on: November 18, 2021, 03:10:29 PM »
England: Steward; Marchant, Slade, Tuilagi, May; Smith, Youngs; Rodd, Blamire, Sinckler, Itoje, Hill, Lawes (capt), Underhill, Curry.

Replacements: Dolly, Marler, Stuart, Ewels, Simmonds, Dombrandt, Quirke, Malins.

so6-2 bench with a 9 and 10 on there and a centre on the wing again. Just because he's seemingly scared to pick between simmonds and dombrandt. Front row is a bit of a mess but that's not really his fault, pleasantly surprised he didn't wimp out of picking Blamire though.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3362 on: November 18, 2021, 05:54:55 PM »
Still no number 8 at number 8 then Eddie?

Online nigel

« Reply #3363 on: November 19, 2021, 01:07:05 PM »
I’d love to see a starting back row of Underhill, Curry and Simmonds with Lawes back to second row with Itoje.

That said, does Lawes play back row for Northampton these days?

Online paul_e

« Reply #3364 on: November 19, 2021, 01:10:21 PM »
I’d love to see a starting back row of Underhill, Curry and Simmonds with Lawes back to second row with Itoje.

That said, does Lawes play back row for Northampton these days?

He does both, has been mostly backrow this season so far because of injuries elsewhere. Oddly 2nd row is the one area where everyone has been fit all season.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #3365 on: November 20, 2021, 09:40:17 PM »
Apart from Launchbury.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3366 on: November 20, 2021, 10:59:28 PM »
That was special today, a big marker thrown down by England. I was worried about our front row, they were excellent and I hope we never see Farrell again.
New Zealand beaten twice this autumn and Australia are still shite.
All is well.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3367 on: November 21, 2021, 01:35:57 PM »
Apart from Launchbury.

I meant at Northampton.

England were very good at times yesterday and Smith is a far better fit than Farrell now.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #3368 on: November 21, 2021, 10:21:48 PM »
And Raffi Quirke did nothing to disprove my opinion that he'll be England's starting scrum half in the 2023 World Cup

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #3369 on: November 22, 2021, 02:29:02 AM »
Okay, Paul -my confusion.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3370 on: November 22, 2021, 09:27:55 AM »
And Raffi Quirke did nothing to disprove my opinion that he'll be England's starting scrum half in the 2023 World Cup

There's a lot of good young 9s around, which is why the persistent inclusion of Ben fucking Youngs pisses me off so much. I'd honestly struggle to fit him into my top 5 right now.

Quirke and Mitchell would be my 2 in the 23 (and I'd change who started depending on the game plan), if the idea is to get the ball wide and make ground int he backs then I'd go with Mitchell who is fantastic at raising the tempo of games but if it's more of an arm-wrestle Quirke comes in for the extra defensive quality and his ability to put people through 'around the corner.'  Why I like them both though is that they run fantastic support lines and have both scored tries in this series on the back of it. They're also easily the quickest 9s we have available and could both hold their own against most wingers.

The other big break-through was that we eventually got to see a proper run out for Marchant, who looked superb. Hopefully it was enough to make Jones realise he's easily the best centre in the country.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3371 on: November 22, 2021, 08:15:57 PM »
Marchant is just one of those centres you want to watch. Superb rugby intelligence and real dynamism.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #3372 on: November 23, 2021, 01:49:54 AM »
Looks like Manu and Faz are under pressure!

Online nigel

« Reply #3373 on: November 27, 2021, 09:48:27 AM »

There's a lot of good young 9s around, which is why the persistent inclusion of Ben fucking Youngs pisses me off so much. I'd honestly struggle to fit him into my top 5 right now.

Quirke and Mitchell would be my 2 in the 23 (and I'd change who started depending on the game plan), if the idea is to get the ball wide and make ground int he backs then I'd go with Mitchell who is fantastic at raising the tempo of games but if it's more of an arm-wrestle Quirke comes in for the extra defensive quality and his ability to put people through 'around the corner.'  Why I like them both though is that they run fantastic support lines and have both scored tries in this series on the back of it. They're also easily the quickest 9s we have available and could both hold their own against most wingers.

The other big break-through was that we eventually got to see a proper run out for Marchant, who looked superb. Hopefully it was enough to make Jones realise he's easily the best centre in the country.

I think the Ben Youngs selection is about not wanting to play a rookie 9 and 10, which makes perfect sense (well to me it does 😁)
Now Smith has proved he can step up I think you’ll find the other 9’s will get more starts

Online paul_e

« Reply #3374 on: November 27, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »

I think the Ben Youngs selection is about not wanting to play a rookie 9 and 10, which makes perfect sense (well to me it does 😁)
Now Smith has proved he can step up I think you’ll find the other 9’s will get more starts

I'd agree if we hadn't had 6 years of Youngs and Fprd/Farrell with almost no attempt to give experience to anyone else.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal